• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

What's in Store for Designers Now

I found this pretty interesting. Would like to hear what our resident architects and designers have to say.

From NYT

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> Design Loves a Depression </nyt_headline>

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> By MICHAEL CANNELL
    </nyt_byline> Few of the arts benefited from the late economic boom more than design. After all, when the wealth is flowing, people don’t covet the concerts you see or the books you read. They covet the couch you bought, and then they buy a cooler one.
    In the recent giddy years, signature architects and designers came to be known by their first names — Rem, Philippe, Zaha — and they were photographed as prolifically as Bono in new design hotbeds like Miami and Dubai. Brooklyn designers became the apotheosis of indie cool (thin portfolios notwithstanding), and the British collective Established & Sons and other skilled maneuverers learned to breed their self-conscious furniture selectively into limited editions that sold for the kind of prices more often found in the art world. All of which was chronicled in self-celebratory books like “S, M, L, XL” by Rem Koolhaas, a 1,300-page monograph as lush as glazed fruit and weighty as firewood.
    Looking back, those of us with front-row seats might have known that this design surge would not sustain itself. Two years ago, at the Milan furniture fair, Marcel Wanders, a Dutch designer known for arty provocations, held a thumping party to show off his 15-foot-high lamps and other furniture of distorted Alice-in-Wonderland scale. Never mind that his work was upstaged by his girlfriend, Nanine Linning, who hung upside down half-naked while mixing vodka drinks from bottles affixed to a chandelier. Form followed frivolity. Function was left off the guest list.
    Now, given that all those slick Miami condos are sitting empty in the sky, designers like the Campana Brothers, with their $8,910 Corallo chair, and Hella Jongerius, with her $10,615 Ponder sofa, might have a harder time selling their wares. Already designers are biting their knuckles over the damage reports. The American Institute of Architects reported that last month’s billings index, a gauge of nonresidential construction, reached its lowest level since it began collecting data in 1995.
    The pain of layoffs notwithstanding, the design world could stand to come down a notch or two — and might actually find a new sense of relevance in the process. That was the case during the Great Depression, when an early wave of modernism flourished in the United States, partly because it efficiently addressed the middle-class need for a pared-down life without servants and other Victorian trappings.
    “American designers took the Depression as a call to arms,” said Kristina Wilson, author of “Livable Modernism: Interior Decorating and Design During the Great Depression” and an assistant professor of art history at Clark University. “It was a chance to make good on the Modernist promise to make affordable, intelligent design for a broad audience.”
    The most popular American designer of that era was probably Russel Wright, who acted as the Depression’s Martha Stewart, turning out a warmed-up, affordable version of European modern furniture, tableware and linens for a new kind of informal home life. A bentwood armchair cost $19.95. “They were not just cheap, they were beautiful, and that was a powerful combination,” Ms. Wilson said.
    Design tends to thrive in hard times. In the scarcity of the 1940s, Charles and Ray Eames produced furniture and other products of enduring appeal from cheap materials like plastic, resin and plywood, and Italian design flowered in the aftermath of World War II.
    Will today’s designers rise to the occasion? “What designers do really well is work within constraints, work with what they have,” said Paola Antonelli, senior curator of architecture and design at the Museum of Modern Art. “This might be the time when designers can really do their job, and do it in a humanistic spirit.”
    In the lean years ahead, “there will be less design, but much better design,” Ms. Antonelli predicted.
    There is a reason she and others are optimistic: however dark the economic picture, it will most likely cause designers to shift their attention from consumer products to the more pressing needs of infrastructure, housing, city planning, transit and energy. Designers are good at coming up with new ways of looking at complex problems, and if President-elect Barack Obama delivers anything like a W.P.A, we could be “standing on the brink of one of the most productive periods of design ever,” said Reed Kroloff, director of Cranbrook Academy of Art.
    On the other hand, the design community talked up its role in safeguarding the world after 9/11, with little result.
    Modernism’s great ambition was to democratize design. Ikea and Target have shown that the battle for cheap design can be won. The emphasis will most likely shift to greater quality at affordable prices. This time around it will be the designer’s job to discourage consumers from regarding that $30 Ikea side table as a throwaway item.
    If household furnishings are to avoid landfills, says Julie Lasky, editor in chief of I.D. magazine, they must be capable of withstanding the vicissitudes of fashion — like the Aalto stool, but at a fifth of the price. “It will be about finding the sweet spot between affordability and durability,” Ms. Lasky said. This kind of innovation means rethinking the economy of production and distribution so that goods are made cheaply closer to home (or in the home, if the most radical ideas are to be taken seriously).
    One way or another, design will focus less on styling consumer objects with laser-cut patterns and colored resin and more on the intelligent reworking of current conditions. Expect to hear a lot more about open-source design, and cradle-to-cradle, a concept developed by William McDonough and Michael Braungart that calls for cars, packaging and other everyday objects to be designed specifically for recycling so that their parts and materials are used and reused without waste.
    The old paradigm — epitomized by shelter magazines like Architectural Digest and Dwell — that found romance in single-family homes, each with its own lawn, detached garage and septic system, may crumble under the weight of its wastefulness. One challenge will be for designers to coax us to a more efficient way of living, as the architect Lorcan O’Herlihy is doing with his light and airy schemes for multifamily dwellings in Los Angeles, a city where backyards and driveways are all but a birthright. Fewer buildings will go up, and the stock of mid-century buildings nearing the end of their lifespan will be thoughtfully reworked to make them efficient and in keeping with principles of sustainability.
    If Ms. Linning’s dangling from the ceiling was a cultural moment now passed, we can look forward to others for an age in which beauty and austerity go together.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

there was for a while a certain greed and excess, that captured us..........while i dont like to see businesses collapse and people loosing their Jobs, in some way their is a certain sense of Joy that i get from what is happening. It is kind of weird that i cant stop laughing everytime i think about Bernie Madoff and the carnage he has created ( I also wonder if there arent many more schemes like his that are yet to be detected).
    I also like the fact that in the fashion industry more designers are flocking to the metropolitan pavillion and its $15K fee for a fashion show compared to the $100K at bryant park. I think we will also see Fashion designers who are willing to give people good quality products for more reasoNable prices, than the 'jacking up" of prices for the sake of elitist reasons.
    those who are able to make the adjustment and focus on the things that really matter will survive (or at least learn very good lessons from their failure)
    it would be interesting to find out how much a lot of these PR companies are going to have to reduce thier ridiculous fees for representation.
    In a way i agree with Lagerfeld that we needed a cleaning up because things had indeed gotten too rotten
    Last edited by zamb; 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Yes, the only problem with cleaning up is that the good designers are often not the most well positioned financially. :-(
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

The tone of this thread is suggesting that desigenrs are at fault for the current economic downturn, when that isn't the case. Designers, of whatever faction, are the victims of the situation, not the villains. Of course there are corrupt individuals within the industry, but that won't change when things are better. Trying to justify the financial woes of the design industry by saying it needs to be cleaned up is missing the cause of the problem I think.
        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• loveless
          • Feb 2007

interesting

Comment

• swami
            • Jul 2008

Luxury itself is being redefined as not what money can buy But how well you buy …<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
            <o:p> </o:p>
            Whats interesting is , IS that furniture has crossed over to becoming art and installation pieces .While iam no big fan of Rem, Marcel Wanders or even Stark BUT designers like Maarten Baas are being amazingly creative and deserve all the acclaim and warrant the price tag for their objects.Like in fashion I guess the most talented and the most business savvy are the 2 kinds of designers that will survive and flourish. It definitely is a good thing for the society as a whole to flush out the shit but great work will be appreciated more for what it is , Down with the age of the Starchitects! <o:p></o:p>

Comment

• surver
              • Oct 2007

it's due time that this rampant period of DESIGN NOUVEAU RICHE ends... design has become sooo unnecessary, uncrititcal, frivolous, and wasteful over the recent years of world-wide economic boom... witness rem's piece of shit CCTV in beijing, a completely over-bloated building of his own ego licked up by politicians to serve political purposes... or all the trash being built in the middle east... completely killing and obliterating histories, environments, ecologies... design has become sooo thin and without depth... i am not so sure many designers (in all fields) will be able to deal as the eames did... young designers nowadays lack integrity, perserverance and the will needed to overcome hardships since most of them actually grew up during these ultra cushy times... well, at least that's very much the case for the architects and product designers that i've come across...

i do hope for a better world, a more authentic and substantial one... not one full of frivolity and waste... anyway, it's the end of a cycle and the beginning of a new one... let's hope for the better...

Comment

• surver
                • Oct 2007

sorry, but maarten baas is one of the ones that i would categorize to be on-the-dot representative of this whole design nouveau riche syndrome...

Comment

• swych
                  • May 2008

surver i think you're over simplifying the conception of a building and the architect's role in the building.

Rem's has always played a significant role in the observation of social trends. I agree with his outlook on globalization and the commoditisation of everything.

CCTV's desire to build a high profile global awareness resulted in their hiring of the world's most famous starchitect, exactly for his name (commodity of the brand?). the fact that this world IS money driven leads him to accept him, and just go with the flow of his observed trends. The result is the most ridiculous concrete vagina (quote annie choi) invented, that gives the client exactly what he wanted.

the problem is not in architecture itself, it's the client. think back to your geography classes- the beginning to solving deforestation etc starts with education. for people who lack knowledge of architecture's role in the social realm, it is ridiculous to assume that the architect can override the client.

Comment

• mute
                    • Aug 2008

many of the key issues concering the design professions are mentioned in the article, however incongruous it may seem. i agree that changing economic dynamics can be an impetus for design innovation at all levels, but i'm .. skeptical as to if and how this will contribute to the bloated dialogue that is the misnomer / marketting tool also known as sustainability, as any sort of real sustainable living is still a luxury on many levels.

swych: placing all of the blame on the client is rather naive, i think. cctv is the censored mouthpiece of the chinese government, and its goals are clearly highly political, but it seems to me that koolhaas has leveraged this to his advantage in executing his own visions.

Comment

• swych
                      • May 2008

mute, i'm not grasping what exactly you mean by 'blame', as i have not addressed any specific issue. all the blame of what? i'm just saying that Rem is a good architect, and sometimes there are forces beyond the architect's control.

judging from your message, it seems to me that you consider 'sustainability' as something superfluous attached to a design to add 'value' of some sort? I'd agree with that right now.

Like the article said, modernism aimed to democratize 'design', and in its baby state, components for sustainable technologies still cost too much to be manufactured at a moderate pricepoint to make it affordable to the masses. currently, most people refuse to pay the premium to be greener. i think eventually, designing for efficient energy use will be weaved into hte process more naturally than it seems now.

Comment

• mute
                        • Aug 2008

blame placed on the client for the poorly designed urban environment in general and imo a rather ridiculous piece of architecture in the cctv tower in particular. this obviously applies to consumerist design as well, no? the client being the consumers, and the designers dodging any sort of responsibility by justifying creation and execution with demand.

sustainability in design at its current state doesn't go beyond PR, i'll start paying attention when the so-called activism stops being utterly disingenuous, though i expect that we will see everything from starbucks to LV staking its sustainable claim before that actually takes form.

Comment

• swych
                          • May 2008

I wrote that in response to surver's examples of architecture/ urban planning in the cctv and dubai respectively. I think that in those examples, where starchitects are involved, the client is to blame for the montrosities that result as they design with a different agenda in mind. We might view some of these conceptions completely ridiculous, but in the local setting they are wonderous constructions. i know from first hand sources that Steven Holl and HdM are idolized over in Beijing. the lack of education in western architecture definitely influenced their tastes- who's to say the developer is any different from joe plumber of China? With the amount being offered to design over there, it is completely non sensical to disobey the client, who will only then turn to the next starchitect with the same disneyland requests waving that same large cheque.

the ridiculous claims in sustainability have already begun. look no further than the fiji water website. http://www.fijigreen.com/

Comment

• mute
                            • Aug 2008

speaking of.. disaster.

Comment

• swych
                              • May 2008

u beat me to posting it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀