Benjamin Bixby (Andre 3000)
    Shipley & Halmos
    Save Khaki (Dave Mullen)
    Yigal Azrouƫl
    Rogues Gallery

discuss
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

I really don't know how some of these people were nominated. I like Yigal Azrouel, but his menswear is so boring. The CFDA seems to only pick designers that have been hyped, [cough] ALEXANDER WANG[cough]. Is this all there is when it comes to Amercian menswear? Oh well, I guess they can just give it to Robert Geller and be done with it.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

I agree they pick a lot of designers who are hyped but come on, Rogues Gallery and Bixby next to Robert Geller? Not knocking what the former designers do but they're not really even in the same realm.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• noworries
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KodakII View Post
        I really don't know how some of these people were nominated. I like Yigal Azrouel, but his menswear is so boring. The CFDA seems to only pick designers that have been hyped, [cough] ALEXANDER WANG[cough]. Is this all there is when it comes to Amercian menswear? Oh well, I guess they can just give it to Robert Geller and be done with it.
        I completely agree!!! how do they come up with these guys...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I suppose they ran out of real designers? SZ nominates Robert!!!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
            • Jul 2007

This is Best New Menswear so I guess it makes the list a slight bit more palatable.

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Yeah, I just saw this in GQ, aside from Geller it's pathetic. I know he's not well liked here, but compared to these choices I think Patrik Ervell deserves a nod.

Really? Bixbey? Come on!
              Just because you are a musician with decent style DOES NOT make you a designer. They all work the same, 1. pop musician X has a recognizable style 2. media talks about how they are like SO stylish 3. pop musician X decides "hey, I can cash in and sell shitty clothes made in China that somewhat resembe what I wear and the kids will love it" 4. Macy's eats it up and features them in a commercial that shows how everything at Macy's is made by a celebrity with absolutely no design credentials 5. The media feeds the cycle by talking about how versatile and creative pop musician X is because they can brand themselves in SO many CREATIVE areas 6. Meanwhile, struggling designers with real credentials are farting out better ideas than these fakes while struggling to make ends meet. Welcome to America.

I hope it's brands like these that will be swept away in the great financial cleansing predicted by the Kaiser.
              music

Comment

• adulthood
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                Yeah, I just saw this in GQ, aside from Geller it's pathetic. I know he's not well liked here, but compared to these choices I think Patrik Ervell deserves a nod.

Really? Bixbey? Come on!
                Just because you are a musician with decent style DOES NOT make you a designer. They all work the same, 1. pop musician X has a recognizable style 2. media talks about how they are like SO stylish 3. pop musician X decides "hey, I can cash in and sell shitty clothes made in China that somewhat resembe what I wear and the kids will love it" 4. Macy's eats it up and features them in a commercial that shows how everything at Macy's is made by a celebrity with absolutely no design credentials 5. The media feeds the cycle by talking about how versatile and creative pop musician X is because they can brand themselves in SO many CREATIVE areas 6. Meanwhile, struggling designers with real credentials are farting out better ideas than these fakes while struggling to make ends meet. Welcome to America.

I hope it's brands like these that will be swept away in the great financial cleansing predicted by the Kaiser.
                To each his own. But considering he is/was a rapper, this line is pretty keen compared to the likes of sean jean, etc.
                http://gkhmf.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

I won't even touch the topic of bixby.

Glad that CFDA did right and gave it to Geller. MILES above the rest of the pack. Not to say that Rogues Gallery tees aren't soft n comfy though ;)
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Hehe, I totally forgot I posted this rant ^^. Must have been in a bad mood that day
                    music

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎