X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genzou2.0
    • Jul 2008

Fabric Dyeing 2

I didnt want to take over Kira's thread so I just made a new one. Hope thats ok.

I just found a riri zipper in perfect length cept that its red... Is there anyway to remove the red colour and re-dye it with whatever colour without damaging the zipper teeth?

^thats the zipper

thanks
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

You won't be able to remove the red... but you may be able to redye it with a synthetic-friendly dye since the fabric is nylon. If it were cotton it would be way easy.

Check out Dharma Trading Co. via google for more dyes. Of course you will only successfully be able to dye it a darker color, not a lighter color.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• genzou2.0
      • Jul 2008

doing some research on dyes now, thanks Albert!

Comment

• Test
        • Dec 2008

Hey, I've been looking into dyeing a lot of stuff lately and this has been a decent resource

Comment

• genzou2.0
          • Jul 2008

o is perfect for dyeing newb like me. thanks a lot test!

Comment

• genzou2.0
            • Jul 2008

so to make my life worse, the zippers are made of polyester tapes, which apparently doesn't dye well.. since its already in a super bright red, Im afraid even dyes for polyesters wont do a good job. Can I get a confirmation?? Thanks

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

honestly i've not really heard about people dying zipper fabrics at all. Poly is very likely going to be hard and likely not come out how you want it to.

You really don't NEED RiRi. If you're doing the bag that we've talked about before, I'd say seriously consider the industrial size tarnished brass YKK. Handle it and I'd be surprised if you said it felt cheap.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• genzou2.0
                • Jul 2008

i know albert... im just being stubborn... ive found some riris in ok size just not perfect size... im just weighing all my options.
                i also checked out the ykks, i will make my final decision eventually...
                thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by genzou2.0 View Post
                  i know albert... im just being stubborn... ive found some riris in ok size just not perfect size... im just weighing all my options.
                  i also checked out the ykks, i will make my final decision eventually...
                  thanks for all the help!
                  hows the project coming along? what did you finally go with?

post photos!!!

Comment

• genzou2.0
                    • Jul 2008

waiting for zippers atm,
                    ive been taking pictures of every step, dont worry!
                    will finish within month of february hopefully.

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

thread-ressurection ENGAGE!

I've got teh sc00pz on a LUC blazer (in white color) that I want to make really dark gray / black. it's wool I think.
                      I've NEVER in my whole pitiful life done this before, so I'm wondering if it'll cost much and if it's hard to do? takes time?
                      I want it to be as good as possible, color shouldn't wear off much or at all if it can.
                      well I want to do it myself, as cheap/good as possible.

thanks in el advanco

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by munch View Post
                        thread-ressurection ENGAGE!

I've got teh sc00pz on a LUC blazer (in white color) that I want to make really dark gray / black. it's wool I think.
                        I've NEVER in my whole pitiful life done this before, so I'm wondering if it'll cost much and if it's hard to do? takes time?
                        I want it to be as good as possible, color shouldn't wear off much or at all if it can.
                        well I want to do it myself, as cheap/good as possible.

thanks in el advanco
                        Dharma Trading Co, get their black procion dye. There are a couple types of black with different hues within the blackness so you can choose a bit :)

Be sure to get the requisite urea and the massive amount of required salt (noniodized) as well and then get to work!

Expect a bit of shrinkage especially with the wool. Other than that, the steps are all on their website and it's very easy. You just have to have a ton of patience with the 1 million rinses you have to do after the dyeing to eliminate all the excess dye. Be careful where you're doing the dying because the powder is crazy. One fleck on a light surface plus water equals a stained splotch!

The total cost for the materials should not be more than $40. You can probably buy the smaller amounts as well which will shave a bit off the cost too.

Comment

• munch
                          • Aug 2008

woo, I was hoping you would respond.
                          that's exactly what I wanted to read! though I got a great offer for an already black one, size 44, so I might not need this, but I'll be saving this in a document if I might need it later!
                          a bit cheaper than I expected, and it sounds easier too.

thanks a lot!
                          Last edited by munch; 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• asho
                            • Nov 2007

In sydney there is a company called cullachange who dye all sorts of things, they use a combination of dyes which means polyester thread also dyes too. I'm sure businesses such as this exist in other cities. A must for anyone who has ever tried to dye black and got purple.

Comment

• nictan
                              • Jul 2009

i just got a pair of pants (100% cottone) in white the other day. couldnt pull it off, tried to dye them black. got the dylon velvet blacks. they're now a dirty green. damn. will give it a second shot next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎