Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Next Level | Boys With Birkin (paging Heirloom!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

The Next Level | Boys With Birkin (paging Heirloom!)

From the NY Times Moment blog...

The Next Level | Boys With Birkins
    By Elizabeth Spiridakis

See ya, Julia; bye-bye, Chloe; later, Beyoncé. I’ve cleared out my mental file of Why-can’t-I-be-her? style icons and have no more time for the same old girls in an epic shoe and must-have bag. These days, I am all about boys … in an epic shoe and must-have bag.

Perhaps you haven’t really noticed yet, but fashion-forward men, like my new trinity of adoration — Bryan Boy, Yu Masui and Jean-Paul Paula — have been feminizing their ensembles and pushing past females in the next-level department. And I, for one, am rapt.

The look, to be clear, is not at all about cross-dressing. It’s men dressing mostly like men but with accessories and the odd (Prada lace) halter from the women’s department. It’s so genius that it makes you wonder why every guy doesn’t do this. It also makes me think I am getting sartorially lazy; it’s time to step up the game.

Believe me, to see Yu Masui in tattered khakis and an old white tee beneath a Jil Sander spring/summer ‘08 sheer color-block dress is to know that you are really not thinking outside the box.

I’m obviously not the only one with a folder on my desktop that’s full of pictures of boys with Birkins and Balenciaga; Marc Jacobs had Cole Mohr model the dresses for the Marc by Marc Jacobs fall ‘08 women’s campaign (the vibe and style of which is more than a little bit of an homage to Bryan Boy), and Marc himself has taken on a man skirt and leggings as his daily uniform. The Paris shows for men just ended, and I counted at least five collections that included dresses or skirts. While that touches upon something in the ether, I would have liked to see some statement jewels or maybe a bro clutch. Is that too much to ask? Maybe for spring/summer ‘10, if the three men below have any say in the matter.

Link with interviews and photos: http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-with-birkins/
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

thanks, Mike.

Pretty vapid article. I almost thought it was a joke?

I'm all for men having sartorial freedom and thinking outside the box, but i don't see how carrying an "it" bag or wearing "Shoe of the Season" does either of those things. It's really just reinforcing stereotypes, imo.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

hmm, ok, the interviews are a bit more interesting....

Why am I not surprised that Gareth Pugh is one of bryan boy's Spring obsessions?
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• MikeN
        • Nov 2007

I left my comments on the blog. I think Jean-Paul really looks amazing, most of the time. Bryan looks OK, I don't think there is anything to wild about him, he's just a great self-promoter. I think Yu looks like an idiot, usually.

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Which male celebrity on the scene could use a touch of the androgyne? “Vincent Gallo, Thom Browne, Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens. They would look genius in a pair of heels!

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
            I think Jean-Paul really looks amazing, most of the time.
            I think he takes the *clothes* quite seriously--i.e., not just as accessories-- and he definitely has the most striking look of the three.

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by laika View Post

Which male celebrity on the scene could use a touch of the androgyne?
              “Vincent Gallo, Thom Browne, Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens. They would look genius in a pair of heels!

Yeah, that's a weird answer to that question, especially for him... I think there might have been something lost in translastion.

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

^Ah, I didn't think of that.

I take it back then, did not mean to mock unfairly!

Comment

• Magician
                  • Jul 2008

Go Surface from SF does this really well. He carries purses (I'm talking straight up purses like a turquoise YSL Besace or a MJ Collection Clutch) with more swagger and confidence then most women I see...at least in DC

It doesn't look particularly feminine either...more old-world dandy,
                  Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

I think at least half of the gay boys that I know carry an actual purse. I think it's pretty common, at least in NYC.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post

Which male celebrity on the scene could use a touch of the androgyne? “Vincent Gallo, Thom Browne, Marc Jacobs and Rick Owens. They would look genius in a pair of heels!

That's pretty fucking hilarious. Ignoramus. By the way, that's the black kid who looked like MC Hammer at the Gareth Pugh show. See my MCHammer and Boygirl picture in the thread.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        That's pretty fucking hilarious. Ignoramus. By the way, that's the black kid who looked like MC Hammer at the Gareth Pugh show. See my MCHammer and Boygirl picture in the thread.
                        Yeah that's him. I'm surprised he's from Hamsterdam, the whole crew looked quite british especially the girl with the boyish haircut

Actually I think the chick is british, briefly talked to her in the queue.
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• cuddly
                          • Sep 2007

they need to be thrown in county jail with some rabid inmates over night.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                            Yeah that's him. I'm surprised he's from Hamsterdam, the whole crew looked quite british especially the girl with the boyish haircut

Actually I think the chick is british, briefly talked to her in the queue.
                            Wait, so that WAS a girl? How old is she, 12?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• B.S
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cuddly View Post
                              they need to be thrown in county jail with some rabid inmates over night.
                              yeah i totally agree. i really think we should kill all jews too. and gypsys. black people is alright, if they stay in their part of the city.

no but really thats kinda offensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎