X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerry
    • Feb 2008

Jil Sander to Take on Design Role at Uniqlo

TOKYO - Jil Sander is making her long-awaited comeback - but in a fast-fashion way.

The German designer is on the brink of signing a "design consulting agreement" to oversee the men's and women's apparel at Japanese retail giant Uniqlo, according to a well-placed source. Sander and executives from Uniqlo's parent company Fast Retailing Co. Ltd., have called a press conference here Tuesday to outline the terms of the deal.

Although Sander will not receive an official title at the company, the designer will take over the creative reins for all the retailer’s products excluding accessories and children’s wear, the source said. It is understood the Japanese brand and Sander are also working to develop a special Uniqlo collection, bearing the designer’s minimalist look, set to bow for the fall season.

As reported in WWD last week, Sander was spotted at the Première Vision textile trade show in Paris in February, which reignited ongoing speculation she planned to return to the fashion world. Sander famously left her namesake label for the second time in 2004 after clashing with the brand’s former owner, Prada Group, and its chief executive officer, Patrizio Bertelli, over creative and control issues.

In a coincidental twist of fate, her old fashion house ended up in Japanese hands when Onward Holdings Co. Ltd. bought it last September from Change Capital Partners for 167 million euros, or $244 million. Change Capital had acquired the brand from Prada in February 2006 for about 100 million euros, or $146 million. Raf Simons, the brand’s current creative director, had been put in place by Prada the previous year.

While Uniqlo has collaborated with a number of designers such as Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang and Alice Roi through its Designers Invitation Project, this is the first time the company has established a continuous relationship with a marquee name. The company’s design team has lived a relatively anonymous existence churning out colorful basics. Like Sander, Uniqlo has always put a strong emphasis on fabric innovation in its products, such as machine-washable sweaters that keep their shape and hooded sweatshirts that retain heat.

Uniqlo is one of the few retailers succeeding in recessionary Japan. The brand’s affordable line up of fashion basics has propelled months of same-store sales growth and earned chairman Tadashi Yanai the honor of Japan’s richest man, according to Forbes magazine, with a fortune estimated at $6.1 billion.

Uniqlo said earlier this month that February’s same-store sales were up 4.2 percent, advancing for the fourth consecutive month. However, the February figures represented a slowdown from the double-digit sales growth the retailer saw at the end of 2008. The retailer has been experimenting with formats in recent months, recently opening its first concept store targeting young female shoppers in their late teens and early 20s. It also has opened a concept store in Selfridges in London.

While at a fast-fashion price point, Uniqlo’s aesthetic mirrors Sander’s signature minimalism. Talk of when the designer would return to fashion began almost the moment she left Prada five years ago — with the rumor mill speculating she was consulting to Gap in Europe, looking to introduce a home furnishings collection, or simply leading a quiet life in her native Hamburg and working on her garden. Her return to her signature label for the second time in May 2003 was filled with hope that she and Bertelli could find common ground. “We’re taking the patience and the time to learn about each other,” she said at the time. “We are two strong characters and two entrepreneurs and different cultures.”

But a year later, Sander exited again. Now the designer, 65, is back in fashion in a segment of the market that is increasingly linking with major designers. H&M has teamed up with a string of well-known fashion names, including Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Viktor & Rolf, Roberto Cavalli and, most recently, Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons.
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

thanks for posting the article Gerry,

Im not really happy about this though.........
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

Glad to see Jil come back to fashion, though I would have preferred an arrangement where she could produce the quality goods she was known for. Still, I'm not complaining, if some good design at a good price comes out of this, I guess it's a good thing.
      music

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

What the duck is this? Definitely not a return to fashion.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rorschach
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
          Glad to see Jil come back to fashion, though I would have preferred an arrangement where she could produce the quality goods she was known for. Still, I'm not complaining, if some good design at a good price comes out of this, I guess it's a good thing.
          i agree.. even mass produced, inexpensive brands like uniqlo can use some good design inspiration. if it raises the bar for these sort of retailers to produce smarter clothes at inexpensive prices how can i complain? jil doesnt seem like the type to really compromise her ideals - i'm curious to see what this venture produces..

Comment

• howinpark
            • Jan 2009

I hope its good
            plus I want uniqlo here in my town too.
            its cheap with clean colors ( well at least it was in japan)
            since jil sander is always clean about their style, i think it will match good with uniqlo.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The point I thought I made, but looks like I actually failed to write down, is that JS was about minimalism. And with making basic clothing, a much higher impact is given to quality of fabric and craftmanship... exactly the two elements that a brand like Uniqlo does not have. This will be an epic fail.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Is it really that bad? Yohji's been on the advisory board to MUJI for a while now helping them improve the cut of their clothing and has also designed a line for them (MUJI Labo), though that relationship been kept on the down low.
                This sounds fairly similar; rather than some one shot limited edition UNIQLOxJIL collaboration the article indicates an ongoing relationship, which surely can't be bad Uniqlo. As for Jil however I'm not so sure.
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

I'm with Zamb and Faust. Given the limitations of Uniqlo's price point, I think Jil Sander will encounter some creative limitations.

Also, I don't think the typical Uniqlo customer will truly appreciate her work, but that's another story.
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• deluks917
                    • Mar 2009

If this increases the already ridiculous number of people in the NYC branch I will be mad. I'm poor and needs clothes.

Comment

• rorschach
                      • Sep 2008

i see your point about how jil's focus on craftsmanship and fabrics will not translate readily to the mass market given inexpensive nature of uniqlo product and production. regardless i dont think this will necessarily be an epic fail. as previously mentioned, the jil name will be used to justify price increases and, perhaps, the volume at which uniqlo purchases textiles might work to their advantage in acquiring some 'jil worthy' fabrics at competitive prices. to me, it seems like uniqlo can really use strong creative director to hone the uniqlo aesthetic - whatever that is, or at least help create one. this added personality and cohesiveness over their current offering could translate into more desirable clothing, as well as a marketer's wet dream. given the current trend, especially in japan, of the next generation of consumer shying away from high price points, investing less of their discretionary income into 'high fashion', this could really push uniqlo ahead commercially; bridging a gap with its customers who want a name but dont want to pay the price but still have a cohesive easy to wear aesthetic.

finally, at the end of the day, what jil can bring to uniqlo can't be any worse than the generic inexpensive stuff they are producing already.. hey, i dont really love uniqlo but i get the feeling this is going to work out for them.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

But, as a mass production brand, is Uniqlo interested in a particular aesthetic? Shouldn't they be out to rope in as many customers as possible? It would make more sense if she produced capsules for them instead to add to their customer base.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DamageX
                          • Dec 2008

It could be an interesting collaboration. I love Jil Sanders designs so I hope it succeeds.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                            • Nov 2008

Fashion forward à la Jil Sander = washable knits and heat-retaining hoodies.
                            Originally posted by philip nod
                            somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

I agree Faust.
                              I would guess this is no more than a really good publicity/marketing front. This may bring some cohesiveness to the line but the company, at the end of the day is about moving product. With Jil at the helm, it gives a brand with no "leader" the recognition it needs among younger, more fashion driven audiences. They're still going to make all yours basics because that is what's paying the bills.
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎