• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justine
    • Jan 2007

Amazon Kindle 2

Hi,

I am tempted, but wonder if it's worth it. Do people here have some experience to share, advice to give, or just thoughts?
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Thanks for this. I slhope this causes some discussion among the book lovers. Personally, I love the feeling of holding a book in my hands. Nothing will replace that. When I look at the rows of books in my book cases, I get the same mesmorizingly peaceful reaction as when people look at the ocean or fire. Also, $300 tag is a turn off. I would imagine the primary market foe this are gift-givers. The $10 book price tag does not seem lucrative enough, unless it includes hard covers.

On the other hand, it is convinient if you carry the books around.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

By the way, did you know that there is a kindle app for iPhone? You can still buy books for 10 bucks and read them on the phone.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• justine
        • Jan 2007

I get the point about the sensuality (or whatever we want to call it) of paper books, but the Kindle has some serious advantages over paper:

(1) bookcases are great, but I live in a small apartment (at a rate of 2,3 book/month ~ 25 books/year it's starting to be too much)
        (2) I'm tired of carrying a book everywhere I go
        (3) I don't like when strangers in the subway know what I'm reading
        (4) What about those dead trees
        (5) It's kinda obvious it's the future, the same way digital music was/is
        (6) I think you can search the text (that's great because I spent so many times looking for that one sentence I wish I had highlighted)

I would jump on the Kindle if it supported PDF the correct way.
        I have a bunch of scientific PDFs that I would like to read on it, but I'm not sure the conversion offered will handle them correctly. If the conversion isn't good, then I don't know if it's all that worth it.

The number of books available isn't fantastic either, looking at my wish list on Amazon, most of my prospective reads aren't available on the Kindle.... could be good for Classics ...

It's definitely not the 'be all end all' since it doesn't even support color now.

Having said that, a Kindle is not even the price of a Rick Owens tee shirt at the Boutique...puts things in perspective a little.

Comment

• justine
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          By the way, did you know that there is a kindle app for iPhone? You can still buy books for 10 bucks and read them on the phone.
          I'm not the sure the iphone is a good reading device....but actually, I might test the PDF conversion on it! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• justine
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            When I look at the rows of books in my book cases, I get the same mesmorizingly peaceful reaction as when people look at the ocean or fire.
            Nice...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I agree with all your reasons, except number 3 :-) Call me vain, but I like a rare glance from a stranger digging what I read - it's a sign of connection. I do the same. I always feel the urge to come up to someone reading a good book and say that.

Pricing perspective definitely fits in here. But for many other people, not sure. Your point about the trees is a good one though.

I've seen a few of them on the subway, and they seemed very easy on the eye (my main problem with computers). They should market it in stores more, so people get acquainted with them physically.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

I have bad sight, so an electronic book isn't very practical for me right now, especially not when I need to spend hours contemplating that one existential paragraph of a book that mocks the very thoery of existentialism.

As for dead trees, I believe it is possible to make books from 100% recycled paper. That may be a bit utopian, but it's still possible.

Also, I'm sure there have been studies that prove that people focus better when intermediate goals, such as reaching the end of a page, and corresponding mini-breaks, like turning the page, are achieved.

I do have to concede point number 6. That's just great. I'm sure even the most conservative literary critic would concede the convenience of CTRL+F over skimming 600 pages of text.

Given all of the above, however, I don't think the market will really notice the Kindle 2 as a competitor for books until it starts stealing market share, just as no one cared about digital music until Napster and the decline of album sales. That I don't see happening for a long tims, because unlike the music industry, schools are a big market for books, and I don't see schools switching to digital anywhere in the near future.
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Jon
                  • Apr 2008

I'm kopping one of 'em. It's e-paper so there's no gloss (reads almost like normal paper) and you can adjust the size of the type. there's supposed to be all these other features. I'll miss books but I'm looking at it as a long-term investment. if I want something bad enough in hardcover I'll still kop that too, though.
                  Originally posted by merz
                  perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

^That's very good news. I actually didn't know that. When I made my post I based my point on an article that reviewed the first edition. What kind of lighing system does it use?
                    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

the best thing about it is a feature where you can highlight a word and get an immediate definition from the built-in dictionary. it could be fun to read the classics this way. if i took the train more i'd get one.
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• reborn
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                        I have bad sight, so an electronic book isn't very practical for me right now, especially not when I need to spend hours contemplating that one existential paragraph of a book that mocks the very thoery of existentialism.

As for dead trees, I believe it is possible to make books from 100% recycled paper. That may be a bit utopian, but it's still possible.

Also, I'm sure there have been studies that prove that people focus better when intermediate goals, such as reaching the end of a page, and corresponding mini-breaks, like turning the page, are achieved.

I do have to concede point number 6. That's just great. I'm sure even the most conservative literary critic would concede the convenience of CTRL+F over skimming 600 pages of text.

Given all of the above, however, I don't think the market will really notice the Kindle 2 as a competitor for books until it starts stealing market share, just as no one cared about digital music until Napster and the decline of album sales. That I don't see happening for a long tims, because unlike the music industry, schools are a big market for books, and I don't see schools switching to digital anywhere in the near future.
                        Schools may not switch, but students have the option from many textbook publishing houses...instead of buying hardcopies of a used textbook, you can buy the digital version or access to it for less than the used hard copy. It seems the future is now...cliche but catchy.

Comment

• Jon
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                          ^That's very good news. I actually didn't know that. When I made my post I based my point on an article that reviewed the first edition. What kind of lighing system does it use?
                          "BYOL"
                          Originally posted by merz
                          perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

I need books in a physical form, cover and pages, touch, weight,
                            smell, visual, sensations, its all part of the reading experience.
                            For me there is no replacement.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• howinpark
                              • Jan 2009

I totally agree with BECOMING-INTENSE.
                              Books are to be in real physical form.
                              I really enjoy just going to bookstore and read or feel the atmosphere. Or even at libraries.
                              That sensation every time you feel after turning the page of a book cant come from scrolling down a mouse or looking at digital screen.
                              We are not watching books but reading books

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎