X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hello.
    • Apr 2009

Waxing denim v3

I'm trying to create a pair of jeans that resemble Julius. I want a very glossy shine almost like a leather. The options I've explored so far basically end up feeling like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Any suggestions that will yield a high sheen finish but retain breathability?
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired
  • tomatous
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Although I have not tried it, try painting them with black water based latex paint. Wash after they dry, see how that comes out.

Comment

• hello.
      • Apr 2009

I spoke to a woman that works at opus and she said that as well would probably not breath well. From what it seems bee's wax or some other sort of wax would be best but I want to get specifics on the mixtures I'll need to make if possible.

Comment

• BeauIXI
        • Nov 2008

There are waxes that you can purchase for waxing and waterproofing jackets and denim. Barbour comes to mind. Fairly cheap, as well, but I think the effect you're really looking for is an overdye.

If you did try out the water-based paint, washed your pair vigorously and then applied some weather-proof wax, you might get the effect you're looking for.
        Originally posted by philip nod
        somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• hello.
          • Apr 2009

What exactly is over dying?

Comment

• BeauIXI
            • Nov 2008

Typically, the warp fabric is dyed (blue, black, whatever) and the weft is white. This is why jeans appear whiter and whiter as you wear them out.

An overdye is literally dyeing over top of whatever the denim is already. Hopefully, painting and washing your jeans would act as an overdye. The thing about waxing is that it doesn't give any extra colour to your denim, at least not in my research, and just makes them shiny. Maybe if you heated your wax, then added some paint to the mixture?

Comment

• architextures
              • Apr 2009

i'm doing something very similar to that right now using a personalized procedure - i'm not trying to get it to shine to where it looks like leather, but i am overdying and then waxing. if it works out, i can a step-by-step to you, if you'd like.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Please do. Would be interesting to know.

I've had some black coated Nudies for a really long time and they look like leather, but I think that they're overdyed and coated at the factory. I love those BBS crinkled jeans..

Comment

• tomatous
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

Ive been thinking about painting over a generic black hoodie I have just laying around to see some of the effects of the black water based latex paint.. If I get around to it, I'll post some pictures.

Comment

• hello.
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                    Please do. Would be interesting to know.

I've had some black coated Nudies for a really long time and they look like leather, but I think that they're overdyed and coated at the factory. I love those BBS crinkled jeans..
                    I have those as well, that's what's inspired me to attempt this. I want to take some old Cheap Mondays and try to make them shinier than the Nudies. I think the idea of mixing a bit of paint (maybe a gloss medium) with the wax could work well. I'll have to test it on another pair though.

architextures -
                    I would love a step by step if it does work, thank you

Comment

• diamonds
                      • Dec 2006

the nudies are like a mixture of resin and polyurethane i think.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                        • Nov 2008

Think you're right, Diamonds.

careful with your paint choice. something too flammable or poisonous could

a) set your crotch on fire or
                        b) beleaguer your crotch with harmful toxins.

If I were you, I would use the Barbour stuff. You can order online. I've been considering buying some from this store out here, and testing it, but there's nothing of mine that I'd really like to wax.

Comment

• scott.m
                          • Mar 2009

hey guys, i have a white canvas pair of lace ups, bought them on sale from oak last summer and they're not as white anymore, is there a way i could paint them? i know that there was a pair of margiela boots like this and was wondering what sort of paint i'd need to use to get this effect, thanks!

Comment

• hello.
                            • Apr 2009

I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just trying a VERY high gloss black acrylic paint. Although the pants lack the ability to breath I'm very pleased with the aesthetic result.

It was a simple enough process all I did was apply to paint to the jeans and then lay wax paper on top of them and iron it on a medium heat and then allow to dry out side. I've worn them several times and never had any problem with the paint flaking off so it seems as though it took to the denim quite well.

Comment

• taylor
                              • Nov 2007

if you want to add some colour into a wax, if you do some research into encaustic painting there are various 'recipes' for colouring wax. Ive not tried any myself, but maybe if you were able to turn some beeswax to black, and apply over the jeans, it could achieve the desired effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎