• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Theyskens to Halston?

Photo: Patrick McMullan

Hint is reporting that ex–Nina Ricci–designer Olivier Theyskens is heading to Halston. The fashion community thought Ricci was foolish to force Theyskens out of his contract seven months early after his stunning fall 2009 collection. Rumors swirled that he'd relaunch his namesake label. That he'd come to the U.S. to helm an American house seemed perhaps the least likely next chapter of his career. After all, Halston is all about effortless dressing and minimalism; Theyskens sent twelve-inch heels down the fall 2009 Ricci runway.
    But Halston could certainly use the touch of a French master. Though the label has been selling well, the revival Harvey Weinstein hoped for when he bought it in 2007 hasn't quite fruited. Marco Zanini stayed on as head designer for less than two seasons, to mixed reviews, and left the house almost a year ago. Halston presented spring and fall collections without a head designer. But every house needs one, and hiring one of the hottest designers of the moment would generate incredible buzz.
    If the rumors are true, Olivier might have to move to New York, which would be amazing. Wherever he lands next is sure to be one of the hottest tickets of the season. And to have him showing here instead of Paris would be epic.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

cant tell them who to hire, or tell him where to work, but this is an idea i hate....... really hate........

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

If this guy is so good why does he keep (a) failing and (b) making the wrong decisions

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Agreed with both of you. I suppose Johnny that's because he can't find a backer for his own label? Or doesn't want to? After all, isn't it easier to be getting a million bucks a year salary without the headaches of running a business?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Agreed with both of you. I suppose Johnny that's because he can't find a backer for his own label? Or doesn't want to? After all, isn't it easier to be getting a million bucks a year salary without the headaches of running a business?
          Yes its easier to get a million a year, without the headaches, but is that really all one could want from being a designer? to work for someone else, collect a fact paycheck and fight with people who dont fully understand what you do?..........
          I would think that he desired more than that. If Anna Wintour really wants to see him do well, then maybe instead of finding him another house needing a designer, maybe finding him a backer would be a better deal..............
          Right now, I dont think there is anymore respectable option for him than to relaunch his own label........ along with all the headaches...........

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Needless to say, Zam, I wish the same. I was just pointing out the alternative.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kbi
              • Feb 2009

Still trying to get over those shoes...

Comment

• Test
                • Dec 2008

A Shaded View on Fashion says that rumours have Theyskens going to Schiaparelli.

Rumours abound.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Test View Post
                  A Shaded View on Fashion says that rumours have Theyskens going to Schiaparelli.

Rumours abound.
                  Yes, I read about this too, but im just tired of the rumors, or news about him. I'm just gonna wait and see what he does next, which I just hope is his own line.................it's not even worth it to be moving from house to house when his contemporaries are being stable and building up a lasting body of work

Comment

• thecoretic
                    • Apr 2009

There are strong rumours its actually Marios Schwab whos being headhunted for the Halston position.

I heard Halston are looking for a designer who does not/or is willing to give up their own label to commit fully to Halston , which would be terrible for Schwab,and especially Theysken as that would bin any hopes of a name-sake label anytime soon.

Comment

• metin
                      • Dec 2008

I think the trouble with rebuilding Halston is all the connotations. Halston without the 80s, without Studio 54, without the glamour and excess of the man himself is really just about highly commercial, simple dresses. Zanini's work was fine, but the real issue with trying to re-brand Halston is what do you re-brand? The company's trying to basically split away from its own image by establishing a secondary line that only does "classic Halston" pieces, so if Schwab actually gets to do whatever he wants with the Halston name, it might actually be interesting? All this notwithstanding, I'm sure his namesake line is still going to garner more praise and press than anything he ever does for someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

That's the thing - he won't get to do whatever he wants and that's why I'm glad Theyskens did not get the job. He deserves something better. It's like the guy has been designing with one hand tied behind his back since Rochas.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎