X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mack
    • Mar 2009

High School Work

hey sz. Here are some pieces that i have been working on in class during my graduating high school year (grade 12). I currently attend a high school in Vancouver, B.C. and i am becoming more and more serious about getting into the fashion industry. This year was my first year of learning how to sew and i am progressively trying to improve my skills. I am working and trying to get into FIT in ny. Here are some photos from a photoshoot i had for my portfolio. I also have about 5/6 more pieces that i haven't taken photos of yet, which i feel shows progression,and they will be up soon.
    let me know what you guys think, i am eager to learn.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
  • mack
    • Mar 2009

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Some of it is not bad at all, especially for a high school project!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
        • Aug 2008

I really like that last jacket. it all looks good. nice!

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
          • Mar 2009

well done...stick to it.
          merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Brother Stasi
            • Feb 2008

You're gonna have no problem getting into Fit, it looks wonderful.

Are you planning on studying menswear or womenswear?

Comment

• prednisone
              • Nov 2007

i'm digging it, especially the brown hoodie and the first rendition of the black jacket. are you planning on producing more or is this just going to be for your project? keep us posted!
              FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

• mack
                • Mar 2009

thanks guys,
                Brother Stasi: i applied to menswear at FIT, which is an area i feel i am
                stronger in.
                prednisone: I have been making a couple pieces on the side for friends and what not, but my main focus is creating and designing new creations every day. just developing the best i can. However i am trying to get showcased at a local store in vancouver.

In regards to FIT, i just got the letter today, and i didn't get accepted... yet. however i got put onto the waiting list. I am a little disappointed, because i don't feel my interview went so well. Alot of the questions were unexpected personal questions and i feel i could have done better. Im guessing its harder to get in to the menswear major because of the small size of the class, o well. All i can do now is be patient, and bug the heck out of them.

I will for sure keep posted on some of the newer stuff i made.

Comment

• DamageX
                  • Dec 2008

Sorry to hear that you didn't get accepted to FIT, however it's their loss. It will be a good story when you are a successful clothing designer though, then you can mock FIT.

Good luck on the waitlist by the way.

Great designs, I especially love the jackets!

Comment

• Bring The Noise
                    • Feb 2008

didn't know their were that many people here from vancouver, nice pieces and good luck!

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by mack View Post
                      thanks guys,
                      In regards to FIT, i just got the letter today, and i didn't get accepted... yet. however i got put onto the waiting list. I am a little disappointed, because i don't feel my interview went so well. Alot of the questions were unexpected personal questions and i feel i could have done better. Im guessing its harder to get in to the menswear major because of the small size of the class, o well. All i can do now is be patient, and bug the heck out of them.
                      I am sooo sorry. I remember my first time meeting with the Chair. It was an open house where I expected to learn about the program. We met in one of the classrooms... Suddenly he kicked everyone out of the room except for me. Apparently he felt it was actually interview time and I'm sure you you know how direct he can be. haha. I left there a nervous wreck. All I had on me was my sketchbook (which I felt he had a magic nac for ONLY looking at the pages I had been wanting to rip out....) But I went back and showed him again and made a better lasting second impression.

Future tip;
                      He LOVES thank you notes. Make sure to send him a note after an interview, after being put on a waiting list etc... Thank him for everything! haha

Also the program, although quite small (believe it or not it's doubled in the last two years...) It is insanely intense. I started off in a class of 30 and graduated in a class of 7. If you end up not getting in this year try to start working on your liberals. The students who didn't have those to worry about had a HUGE advantage over everyone else.

Best of luck to you! It's just a matter of time (and I can see that you are going to do REALLY well once you get in)

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

Mack, you've got quite a strong start. It looks excellent for a high school student. I especially like the raw stitching and the off-centre grey zipped hoodie.

I'm sorry you didn't get straight into FIT. As for the wait list, there are some things you can do to increase the chance you're accepted from it. Like Stasi said, always send thank you notes. I just completed a career class, and that was one of the things they stressed. Keep it short and sweet, but include a detail of the conversation to jog the interviewer's memory so he doesn't forget you. Also, calling or emailing to verify the status of the application is good, but only up to a point. Don't go overboard, as it can work against you rather than for you. One point with calling: if you get the voicemail, leave a message instead of hanging up and calling back. The interviewer probably has caller ID and may recognize the number after the umpteenth call.

Other than that, good luck and keep creating!
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• mack
                          • Mar 2009

Thanks guys for all your support and advice!
                          I did take ur guys advice and i did call them this morning. I just asked them about the factors that permitted me from getting in. They told me that at the time they sent the letter the class was too small. However, they opened the class and she told me that I GOT ADMITTED, and that i would be getting a letter in the next couple weeks (which was sent apr 24). So based on that hopefully i will be going next year, which i am really excited about. In regards to the letter, based on the information i just received, i will be sending a thank you letter after i hear from the next letter sent. Also i will be calling them next week to check up on them.

Brother Stasi: i will for sure send him a thank you letter as soon as i hear from the second letter? When you say working on "liberals" did you mean liberal arts. If so right now i am in an AP art class and currently i am working on some fashion pieces that are more conceptual. (hopefully posting soon). I assume you went to FIT and took the menswear program? How was it and what types of stuff did you end up doing (art, fashion projects). and what are you doing, now after the program? I would love to hear about it.

thanks again

Comment

• larssss
                            • Jun 2008

Congratulations and good luck.

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mack View Post
                              I GOT ADMITTED
                              Congratulations, Mack . You're welcome.
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎