• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Japanese Fashion Resources

Hi all,

Looking for on and off line resources that cover Japanese fashion for a new project I am working on, including books, journals, film, etc. etc.

Thanks.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • H-R
    • May 2007

Hey Faust, have you checked out this book titled "Style Deficit Disorder"? It covers a pretty diverse range of aesthetics from gothic lolita to the Urahara street fashion.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Yea, I've seen it - thanks. I also just realized that I can browse articles from all over the world through my school library. Duh...
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

^ I was just thinking that.

Also, I don't know if this is also available over there, but I just realized that Time.com has archives of its articles dating back to the 1920s which is incredibly useful for judging the impact of specific designs and designers within their time period. I know that it isn't as helpful for Japanese designers, but it's good for future reference.

Of interest:

If only there were pictures.

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

If you're looking for some current info Mekas.jp is a good site, some of the articles about street trends are worth a read, unfortunately the site is no longer being updated.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
            If you're looking for some current info Mekas.jp is a good site, some of the articles about street trends are worth a read, unfortunately the site is no longer being updated.
            Yeah, I was about the suggest it but what's up with that?
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Quote from a 85 article about Yohji's expensive pricing, "blazers are $500." Ugh...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Not too sure Fuuma but the editor of Mekas.jp still writes for businessoffashion.com.

What's the new project Faust, I'm curious.

Funny quote, that's in USD, no? I wonder what his local prices were back then considering the JPY/USD exchange rate was so much higher at the time.
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yes, those were NYC prices. Project classified :-) All in due time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

The Mekas editor (David Marx) used to have a blog where he commented on the structural lack of democracy in the Japanese musical industry and how it was symptomatic for social woes as a whole, quite fascinating.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• crouka
                      • Jul 2007

haruki murakami's reportage essay on seven japanese factories/manufacturers, one of which is that of cdg,
                      1987, not sure of the existence of the english version though.

Comment

• crouka
                        • Jul 2007

日出る国の工場
                        factories in a land of rising sun

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎