X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Test
    • Dec 2008

Clothing / Fashion Construction Books, Projects

What are the clothing and fashion construction books you guys like the most? This includes basics, draping, sketching, patternmaking, etc.

This thread is pretty selfish since I've been promising myself I'd start learning this stuff for a couple years but haven't gotten around to it. I ask that when you make book suggestions assume the audience has no experience. If you're suggesting an advanced book explain what level of experience is expected. I'm aware a lot of this stuff is experiential (e.g.s: deconstruct your own stuff and learn; take a class), but personally I work best with some sort of structure and I don't have classes available nearby.

Along with books, please post simple projects you know of. I've heard some simple stuff is tapering your own jeans, slimming down shirts, etc. Feel free to post your advice to beginners, too.
  • Test
    • Dec 2008

These initial choices (and descriptions) are just what I've found through reading reviews and posts throughout the net. Please list your own experience and criticisms.

General Reference
    New Complete Guide to Sewing (Reader's Digest): Clear step-by-step pictures. References for techniques. Everything you need to know in terms of basic and semi-advance construction.

A Guide to Fashion Sewing: Step by Step guide to the basics with a good deal of illustrations. Excellent reference guide but not recommended for beginners. Also expensive compared to the Reader's Digest Guide.

Sketching
    Fashion Illustration for Designers: Very detailed, divided by type of garment.

Fashion Sketchbook: Well-regarded for beginners but possibly outdated in its model types.

Menswear Patterns
    Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear (Winifred Aldrich): For those interested in menswear, this is my favorite book. It's a bit hard to find because it's a British book (warning to all those in the States: instructions are given in CM instead of Inches, so you will need to get metric rulers). But it basically has slopers for every type of menswear garment out there. It also covers altering menswear pieces for women.

Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Men's Wear (F.I.T. Collection): A great tailoring book that goes through constructing a menswear blazer from star to finish. The only downside is the images/drawings are all black and white and pretty much suck. The written content is top notch though.

Shirtmaking: Developing Skills for Fine Sewing: A guide on how to make a basic button-down from start to finish. Written for beginners and experienced sewers, it contains all of the basics as well as high quality finishing steps.

Draping and Womens' Designing
    Draping for Apparel Design (Helen Joseph Armstrong): Basic draping book, step-by-step with many illustrations and pictures.

Patternmaking: A Comprehensive Reference for Fashion Design (Sylvia Rosen): Sylvia Rosen has been the head teacher at Parsons School of Design for years and basically written all the books that most schools have kids get. This is THE patternmaking book for womenswear. It covers basic slopers, altering, etc for all sorts of garments. You can also special order a packet of slopers if you do not feel like making them

Comment

• Test
      • Dec 2008

Reserved post for project ideas.

Comment

• Pinky
        • Mar 2009

The Art of the Tailor by Robert Doyle - this book maybe the bible of menswear patterns, cutting, and tailoring. It's a bit costly for a book, but I'm glad I have a copy. I'd recommend this book along with Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Men's Wear (F.I.T. Collection) for a beginner, since the chapters on garment construction in Doyle's book aren't laid out in a easy-to-follow, step-by-step manner as they are in Cabrera's.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Doyle book is very good, but its not for beginners, and yes, it is indeed costly, i want to buy one, but everytime I make an attempt, i just cant bring myself to the $100+ pricetag.

Test, the books you listed are very good, but trust me, you are better off finding a good tailor and offering yourself as an apprentice......................
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Test
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll definitely look into the books.

Zamb, as much as I'd love to do that, it's just not feasible for me at this time. I'll be working a 9-5 job all summer and all of the tailors around here work 10-6.

It's too bad you won't swing for the book. Be sure to tell us when you buy more industrial sewing machines in bulk :P

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Test View Post
              Thanks for all of the advice, I'll definitely look into the books.

Zamb, as much as I'd love to do that, it's just not feasible for me at this time. I'll be working a 9-5 job all summer and all of the tailors around here work 10-6.

It's too bad you won't swing for the book. Be sure to tell us when you buy more industrial sewing machines in bulk :P
              where are you located?
              some tailors work on weekends (saturdays) trust me, one day a week with a really good tailor is worth more than 1 month of a book, as you get to see knowledge being demonstrated.............actually i think its only because i have access to a copy on my freelance job why im so relunctant to pull the trigger on it. also for me its just a matter of having it because its a good book, than for learning purposes.

I dont understand the bulk sewing machine statement...................

Comment

• Test
                • Dec 2008

Oh nuts, I completely forgot my tailor extended his hours to Saturday and Sunday in the middle of winter! Hrrrrrrrrmmmm... I have zero experience, I think I'd like to get some basics down before I make him deal with me.

Oh, and I'M WATCHING YOU
                Originally posted by zamb View Post
                10 industrial sewing machines.......... for the (in the Near) future Z-Factory

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Test View Post
                  Oh nuts, I completely forgot my tailor extended his hours to Saturday and Sunday in the middle of winter! Hrrrrrrrrmmmm... I have zero experience, I think I'd like to get some basics down before I make him deal with me.

Oh, and I'M WATCHING YOU
                  Yes I remember that post, and still have them, working on building out the studio right now, should be finished at the end of the month, albeit on a smaller scale than originally planned. I just was'nt sure whether you were being sarcastic or not, thus the claim of not understanding you statement, rather than responding in an inappropriate way.......................

Comment

• Test
                    • Dec 2008

haha oh sorry. I was messing with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎