X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

SZ Book Club?

I know this might be kinda cheesy to some, Im suggesting it anyways.........
    would be cool for us to have a Book Club,
    I know alot of us are avid readers, My reading has largely surrounded the subjects that interest me, Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Fashion etc............ and I only started reading alot somewhat later in life, relatively speaking.
    It would be nice to have something, kinda different from the "What are you reading thread" where books are suggested and we can all read and review. would certainly help me (and i'm sure others) to broaden our scope of subjects/ topics we read about
    What do you all think?
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock
  • justine
    • Jan 2007

I think it's a great idea.

Comment

• Classique
      • Apr 2008

Considering the critical discussion of "The Road," in 'What are you reading..." Is memorable, in details, today; An emphasis on specific pages, collectively, will definitely create a productive conversation. I think, even if a person is preoccupied by several other books or personal issues; By just reading 20 pages a day we can get through a 1,120 page-book within two months.

Re-reading classic literature is so much better when you can discuss the contents with intelligent friends.

I woul love to contribute my modest comments, Zamb. Which specific book should we begin with? :)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I'm down, since the summer is coming up.

Classique, search for Lolita about an epic discussion between dontbecruel and I, where dbc actually convinced me, but I don't think it sunk in until i much later, which resulted in a reversed discussion between me and monadahl.

After I am done with Omnivore's Dilemma, I was going to read either Saul Bellow's Herzog or McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses. Should we start with one of those?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

thanks for the interest, Justine, Classique and Faust.

Classique, I dont really have a suggestion.

I did a quick research on both the books faust suggested.

I like Herzog. so I am we can begin with that..............

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

great idea count me in guys
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Ok, who will serve tea and cookies?

Actually, I think there is something in the making. SZ book club - not your grandma's book club. I can see a bunch of goth ninja's at the fence in park slope chugging hoegaarden and talking literature.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• marco-von
                • Feb 2009

Nice idea zamb , i would get involved if this took off. In limbo right now with what to read next but have a few books on my bed side table that can wait.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Ordered my copy of herzog today........... should recieve it in the mail by weekend.

Comment

• Classique
                    • Apr 2008

Or at the café, Faust. :)

As: Bataille, Lacan, Bouvoir, Sartre, Camus, Gris, Picasso, Max Jacob, Cesaire, Leiris & Dali.

An unattainable: Philosophical, erotic, poetic, psychoanalysed, surreal, existentialist, artistic, political, literal & economic... Theoretic, dream milieu.

Zamb, I ordered Herzog too.

Since 'Lolita,' is a popular novel; I read it, at age 15. For the "Cool," sexual exploitation of a minor girl. I.E. The title & controversial subject matter. I definitely have to re-read it now that I appreciate fine art [Writing.] To reflect through maturity; Not associated w/ stupid teenage angst & vain, shock-value.

Comment

• justine
                      • Jan 2007

So Herzog it is? .... Before I start, ...how long is that book?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Should be about 350 pages or so

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Book Club always a good idea, I need to step my reading game up - was browsing the literature section (local bookstores separated by "Fiction" and "Literature") and came across Herzog, really dug the cover art for that edition, the pic is almost SZ-esque. Realized that there is a whole world of 'taken for granted' classics I'm not even acquainted with on a first reading, was overwhelmed and did not know where to start.

Maybe I'll go w/ Don DeLillo's Underworld. I remember attempting to tackle that when it came out and I was barely in my teens, didn't make it very far. Browsed through the Cocksucker Blues "review" segment today after having read something about it, it was pretty damn poetic. Maybe i'll give it another shot.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Classique View Post
                            Or at the café, Faust. :)

As: Bataille, Lacan, Bouvoir, Sartre, Camus, Gris, Picasso, Max Jacob, Cesaire, Leiris & Dali.

An unattainable: Philosophical, erotic, poetic, psychoanalysed, surreal, existentialist, artistic, political, literal & economic... Theoretic, dream milieu.

Zamb, I ordered Herzog too.

Since 'Lolita,' is a popular novel; I read it, at age 15. For the "Cool," sexual exploitation of a minor girl. I.E. The title & controversial subject matter. I definitely have to re-read it now that I appreciate fine art [Writing.] To reflect through maturity; Not associated w/ stupid teenage angst & vain, shock-value.
                            Ive never read lolita, but heard so much about it that i always thought of getting a copy. Maybe that can be our next book, or it can be supplementary reading for those who never read it before.

and yes Justine, the Hertz's Hog it is.....................

Comment

• Classique
                              • Apr 2008

Fade To Black [Metallica song?] - Yes, the collection of "Taken for granted," literature is vast.

For, example, whenever William Shakespeare is read exclusively as Renaissance writing: John Donne, Christopher Marlowe, John Milton, Desiderius Erasmus... Are neglected. Sure, Shakespeare is the greatest english writer in history, but the Renaissance being the most important era of human, artistic knowledge since the Greek times can not be condensed to Shakespeare alone. When, sometimes the foremention writers surpass the genius of 'The Bard of Avon'

Yeah, Penguin Classics often design / publish a nice book cover. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎