X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alesha
    • Apr 2009

How would you launch a fashion brand?

Alright, everyone here has ideas and thoughts. And I'd love to hear them as well. Maybe they come from experience in fashion industry, or from just seeing it all on consumer side, all of those are priceless experience.

Imagine a city. A large metropolis of some sort with booming industry and hives upon hives of people living there. The weather is shitty, and it could very well be NY, Moscow or Beijing...

What do you think could gather attention of always speedy, contemporary citizens?

How would you launch say a sz style luxury brand?

And how would you launch something more mass market and open to people, like some casual brand?

Quite naturally you have the power to define the brands message and architecture to a degree to suit your plans as it is fit!

(The wildest thoughts would be the most apriciated.)
    Originally posted by interest1
    I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.
  • jj.still
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
    Imagine a city. A large metropolis of some sort with booming industry and hives upon hives of people living there. The weather is shitty, and it could very well be NY, Moscow or Beijing...

What do you think could gather attention of always speedy, contemporary citizens?
    I'd imagine something ultra-utilitarian :)

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

Alesha, you could get a lot of ideas from Zam's Sustainable Business Models for Design Companies thread.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

Do what All Saints have done. Rough enough for the majority, interesting enough to distinguish themselves, cheap enough to avoid designer brand competition.

Comment

• crz
          • Apr 2008

Do what All Saints have done. Rip off designs from hot designers

Comment

• kbi
            • Feb 2009

skip fashion. go straight to beach towels and coffee-sleeves.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Interesting tidbit I read in WWD. They did a survey of industry execs about the current fashion climate and the list of brands they came up with that will remain will positioned read something like: TopShop, Chanel, H&M, LV. That tells me that the middle market is fucked and only the uber cheap or uber rich will make it, PROVIDED that they have the aura of cool. It is that ephemeral cool that you gotta chaise to make it.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eat me
                • May 2009

Originally posted by crz View Post
                Do what All Saints have done. Rip off designs from hot designers
                Unfortunately, that's how the majority of high street works, nothing new.

Comment

• shawn
                  • Apr 2007

for the current world. I would like to say idea or creativity is not the most important thing (and there is nothing new under the sun, really).

no matter it's a fashion brand or a restaurant, you need a business module to make your business / brand alive , hopefully, living well -- make profit. it's also very important while you want to do a bigger business.

Most of people only think they can make their fashion brand just because they love it ,love fashion. no...they failed.

Comment

• crz
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                    Unfortunately, that's how the majority of high street works, nothing new.
                    what exactly is high street to you? All saints just rips off almost exact designs from runway designers. seems like it falls under the category of "not cheap enough for all the teens/hipsters with low income; so is slightly exclusive to those with a job, but not expensive enough to be too exclusive" = mid market
                    yeah, there are arguments about design not being 'new', but really, the ones who are on top are the ones who make it 'look' new/fresh in their own way.

Comment

• Alesha
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                      Alesha, you could get a lot of ideas from Zam's Sustainable Business Models for Design Companies thread.
                      Thank you for the link. But if you notice amount of my posts there, you will likely get idea that I am fairly familiar with Zam's topic as it is. This particular one focuses directly on Promotion of the brand, rather than the business model for it.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by crz View Post
                        what exactly is high street to you? All saints just rips off almost exact designs from runway designers. seems like it falls under the category of "not cheap enough for all the teens/hipsters with low income; so is slightly exclusive to those with a job, but not expensive enough to be too exclusive" = mid market
                        yeah, there are arguments about design not being 'new', but really, the ones who are on top are the ones who make it 'look' new/fresh in their own way.
                        As I said, All Saints rips off as much as Zara, TopShop, etc. The reason people think it rips off more is because their designs a bit more distinguished, therefore easier to point out. There is something new that TopShop brings to the table with collaborations, but that's about it. By "nothing new" I meant that this kind of scheme - "seen-on-the-runway-made-a-cheaper-version" is what the high street is all about. There are a handful of brands that try to stand out, All Saints included, but they copy just as much, it's just not all people are familiar with what/who they are copying.

Companies like Levi's, or, say, Converse are not high street in my understanding. For me, high street is not about the price point, it's about the scheme of things. How many high-end designers "copied" Converse, once the trainer trend picked up? RO included? Lots. So it goes both ways.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎