X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clay
    • Sep 2006

Matthew Ames

I think he deserves a thread, I just don't have time to post any images.
    Please post his work if you have time.

PARIS, Jan 14, 2005/ FW/ --- Born in Melbourne - Australia, in 1966, Matthew Ames launched his first ready to wear line in 1982 in his Little Collins St studio.

Soon recognized for his talent by the Australian fashion industry, he scooped the Cointreau Young Designer Award in Sydney in 1988.

After a rapid rise to fame he decided to take four years off to study sculpture at the Victorian College of Arts. After graduating he realised he missed working with the three dimensional form of the body.

In 1991 Matthew Ames moved to England where he joined Koji Tatsuno to learn bespoke tailoring.

A year later, in 1992, he decided to come to Paris where he set up his own atelier in an old disused hospital in Montmartre. He first produced small ready to wear collections of 20 selected pieces, quickly sold in Australia, Japan, Great Britain and the United States.

In 1996, a low profile approach of the business led him to open his first Parisian boutique in an old barbershop in the historic Marais district. He gradually built up a loyal clientele, icons like Cate Blanchett, Lauren Hutton or Lee Radziwill soon became his customers.

In May 2003, he moved to a private show room in a courtyard, 44 rue Vieille du Temple, bringing together his boutique and his atelier. There, the client can see and order from two collections at once, the running and the upcoming.

Tucked away in his own private universe, Matthew Ames has made a self-conscious decision not to get caught up in the fashion system, presenting his collections to a rather small selected audience.

Martin has always been focused on his taste for bespoke tailoring, the research in details, and simplicity of lines. The result comes in timeless silhouettes, a mix of French charm and elegance in an almost sculptural way. The strictly shaped cuts always emphasize the curves of the body. The clothes are functional, with a sharp, geometric and structured silhouette, often military inspired, yet still completely feminine.

On the basis of his impeccable cuts, starting with luxurious coats and jackets, Matthew Ames has attracted major retailers worldwide, including stores like Barneys or Neiman Marcus, or boutiques like Takashimaya, or Penelope.

In September 2003 he was signed up by Barneys NY to design their private label.

In Parallel to fashion Matthew Ames has participated over the years in various artistic projects, as grounds of alliance between design and sculpture:

1994: crinolines for the statues of château de Courances
    1997: exhibition “100 headless women”, New Zealand, Australia, London (Selfridges)
    1999: overscale lighted crinoline skirt for the Absolut 2000 calendar
    2004: exhibition “Autour du Miroir” , château de Courance

Taken from Fashionwindows.com

• laika
    • Sep 2006

thanks, Clay. We have a couple threads with pics of his work here and here.
    maybe they could be merged?
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• clay
      • Sep 2006

Thanks Laika, I forgot those existed. I don't know I need to merge his Bio? But Yeah he's dope!!!!Invisible for sure!!!

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

S/S 09 Lookbook

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

beautiful photos laika thanks. most of the clothes are beautiful too -qutie madame gres no? (some rei in there too I think in the draping techniques)

Comment

• asho
                      • Nov 2007

there is some seriously conflicting information between the first post in this thread and the bio page on his website...

...which compliments the seriously beautiful clothes in the above images.

I was thinking how under appreciated he is in australia, only to find out he is not australian at all, and 13 years younger than suggested here.

Comment

• move_ment
                        • Feb 2009

I became REALLY excited thinking this guy was from Australia, but as asho mentions the bio on his site makes no mention of it. Strange about the vastly different info but the collections are amazing... I do love the ss09 it seems refreshing in many ways.

Comment

• clay
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by asho View Post
                          there is some seriously conflicting information between the first post in this thread and the bio page on his website...

...which compliments the seriously beautiful clothes in the above images.

I was thinking how under appreciated he is in australia, only to find out he is not australian at all, and 13 years younger than suggested here.
                          Holy crap! I did not notice that after reading the FashionWindows post. Is there another Ames out there???Who the hell are they talking about?

Comment

• clay
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by clay View Post
                            Holy crap! I did not notice that after reading the FashionWindows post. Is there another Ames out there???Who the hell are they talking about?
                            Holy crap! Two FashionWindows sites!!!!! This is the other Bio in a review of a line from 2006!

PARIS, Nov 3, 2005/ FW/ --- Matthew Ames has been creating a buzz in the Paris fashion scene since he was selected as a finalist for the 2004 Festival International des Arts de la Mode a Heyers.

A graduate of The Art Institute of Chicago (2003), he studied in Antwerp, Belgium, interning for designer Jurgi Persoons. Signing his first menswear collection during the Spring / Summer 2005 menswear show in Paris, he debuted his womenswear line the following season, the Fall/Winter 2005 Paris Prêt-a-porter season.

Ames who caught the eyes of the fashionistas with his debut collection continued to gather momentum for his eponymous label last March when he showed his Spring / Summer 2006 collection.

Sending a collection that is architecturally beautiful with a touch of romance, Ames’ clean lines and sharp tailoring put him on the list of names to watch among the emerging designers who showed during the Paris season.

Pencil cut skirts with button accents, generously cut pants sheered at the waist and hem, and his tone-on-tone square neck dresses embellished with lace, Ames Euro-American aesthetics is a nice blend of function and beauty.

Alternating between the bright colors of spring and earth tones, Ames hit the ‘sanity in fashion’ trend right on the mark.

For more information about Matthew Ames, please log on: www.matthewames.com

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

He interned for Jurgi?! The plot thickens!
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎