X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

New Yorkers, where do I live?

I'll make this short, I am moving to NYC soon. Going to go to school at Hunter for fine arts. I have been to NY twice but you know, it's huge. And I know that unless you LIVE somewhere you really don't get the feel for it. Basically, I am an artist, I do want to be in a "hip" area. Yes, I hate saying that. God. Anyway, I am ignorant to all of this so please forgive me, but I have "heard" that Williamsburg is a nice place...but I have also heard that it is "played out" and full of people who "care more about their hair than art". I have also heard that Chinatown, and the Lower East Side are kinda cool. If anybody can fill me in that would be great. Size of place doesn't matter. I'm not really talking price or any of that, I do thrive off of "energy" and "real" happenings. Not phony stuff, not tourist stuff. I like to have a good drink every once in a while, good cheap food, but basically I nice place where you know...it's cool.
    Thanks.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

New York is dead. Long live New York!

At Hunter you are pretty much far away from all cool areas. Williamsburg is actually an Ok commute, as you can take L to U.Square and then hop on the 4/5 uptown. I don't like Willimasburg for the same reason others told you about, but the entire city is like that, I think. We live in the age where rebellion is dead, commerce catches up to everything the speed of light, and making it is either too hard or too easy. So, might as well move to Williamsburg. I prefer Caroll Gardens though - that's my ideal neighborhood. I like Dumbo as a neighborhood as well - if it was not for the yuppies that make up the majority of the population, living there would be like lsitening to industrial music 24/7, and I'm partial to that.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      New York is dead. Long live New York!

At Hunter you are pretty much far away from all cool areas. Williamsburg is actually an Ok commute, as you can take L to U.Square and then hop on the 4/5 uptown. I don't like Willimasburg for the same reason others told you about, but the entire city is like that, I think. We live in the age where rebellion is dead, commerce catches up to everything the speed of light, and making it is either too hard or too easy. So, might as well move to Williamsburg. I prefer Caroll Gardens though - that's my ideal neighborhood. I like Dumbo as a neighborhood as well - if it was not for the yuppies that make up the majority of the population, living there would be like lsitening to industrial music 24/7, and I'm partial to that.
      I think forte greene is good because of its location.
      generally though, as long as you have good friends, so long as you live close to one of the better subway lines and close to a train stop (preferably an express one) then you can live anywhere where there is some culture and progressiveness.
      Ive always loved brooklyn, even though i've live in queens for the most part, once had a girldfriend on the LES but really hate living in manhattan as there seems to be no peace and quitness there.........
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• justine
        • Jan 2007

Williamsburg should be fine, LES also. At the end of the day, I think you should make sure you are in a location where it's easy to get to. Personally I'd target Manhattan (if possible) because it's easy to hop on a cab and there you go. Plus subways changes aren't as bad on weekends inside Manhattan. That's my $.02. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless...oh, and welcome!

Comment

• laughed
          • Jul 2009

thanks for the info.
          Well like I said I havent really had the time to take all of ny in, but as far as chinatown or les the noise wouldn't bother me. i kind of like it. BUT, my concern is that there may be too many "suits" around and not enough, dare i say "hipsters". lol. jk. Well, i do want SOME cool people you know. Also, the "downtowns" that I have lived and discovered seem to shut down a little earlier than what's outside of downtwon. I have just been reading that there is "something" going on in the lower east side, east village, chinatown, AND williamsburg. As far as a nice spot to live as an artist. I also like to see good shows, rock, noise, experimental, etc. I am almost 30 years old, so I am for sure not into being around "the young" scene, like 21 year old kids you know. I have also heard a few things about Greenpoint.

Comment

• MikeN
            • Nov 2007

LES and Chinatown are great and apartments can STILL be found relatively cheap. I hate Brooklyn and I never go there.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ lolwut?

on a related note - hung out in fort greene yesterday. i'm in love. i have to explore it more.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                • Apr 2008

Hey Mike don't knock BK that place is my new homeland! :)

you can find some great places to live in BK in Park Slope, Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Williamsburg... as long as you know where to look and keep persistent, you could end up with a very comfortable place at a very decent rent. There are plenty of successful workers who live out there, and if you find you would like an escape from Manhattan, I couldn't think of a better place to go!
                every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

If "hipness" is really a concern to you, your choices are basically manhattan between 14th st and canal, or williamsburg. I wouldn't call Fort Greene, Park Slope, etc... "hip".

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Just PM me your budget and I'll find you a good affordable place in the LES or East Village. I'm good at this.

Comment

• Raw Edge
                      • Jan 2008

Is this a joke?

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                      If "hipness" is really a concern to you, your choices are basically manhattan between 14th st and canal, or williamsburg. I wouldn't call Fort Greene, Park Slope, etc... "hip".

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

judging from your tone i'd say you live in ohio?

anyway, my advice is to live in manhattan where mike is aiming you, it is a long subway from most parts of brooklyn to the 60's, and once you feel bored of the city (or the rents go back up) after a few years move out to brooklyn.
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                          Is this a joke?
                          No? He said in his original post that he wanted to live somewhere "hip".

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                            • Nov 2008

EDIT: For the record - New York, in general, is totally played out. I'd say New York is hands down one of the least hip cities around right now. Still, where the heck else would you go?

First - you use an amazing amount of quotation marks, it's pretty amusing.

Well, it's a good time to be a renter - it's a rent controlled market right now, due to the economy.

I'm gonna second Mike/Pnod/Faust on their take on the subject - Ft Greene/Park Slope isn't all that hip, but it is *nice* - like, nice apartments, nice neighborhoods, but mostly older families. And yeah, like Faust mentioned, Ft Greene really is a lovely part of town...but it's definitely the more family oriented part of the city and you're looking at a 20-40 min commute, depending.

If you want hip and *livable* - go for Williamsburg or Greenpoint. I wouldn't go further out than the Graham stop on the L, if you can avoid it though. I do know a lot of people who love Bushwick, but it's pretty industrial out there. Williamsburg is definitely on the younger side of things - a lot of 20-25 yr olds, but also a lot of younger professionals/families in their early 30s. Most rock/experimental/noise shows happen in Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bushwick and the LES.
                            Wburg on the weekends is pretty funny - it feels like a college campus these days. Can't walk a block without running into someone you know - pretty much everyone lives there these days. I do prefer drinking out there tho...

I wouldn't recommend living in the LES - it's just a madhouse there every night - the apartments are old, small and cramped.

I live in the East Village and love it - been here 11 years now. It's definitely not hip anymore...but it's still the coolest/most comfortable neighborhood in Manhattan - and it's easy to get to everywhere. But it's definitely lost its punk vibe - it's very yuppie over here. Still - I'd rather live here than any other part of Manhattan. There's a lot of new construction here, so I know there are a lot of available apartments, but I have no idea what the rent is around here these days.

And congrats on the Hunter MFA program - they have a great Fine Art department over there...

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

^^^ pretty spot on, but remember there is much more to the LES than just Ludlow St. I have lived, and still have a lot of friends that live below Delancey, where it's significantly quieter. If I could live anywhere (within reason, since I can't afford nolita or west village) it would be on the LES below Delancey.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎