Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Apr 2009

Fabric and Textile Trade shows

Ok I'm not sure how much feedback I'll get regarding this but I am going to hedge my bets and hope a designer amongst SZ can help me out on this one (Zamb?).

I'm thinking perhaps heading to Japan/and or Europe this year to head to a Fabric and Textile tradeshow/s so that I can get access to new and amazing fabrics (lux jerseys, leathers, etc etc). Anyone on here been to any? Premiere Vision in Paris for example or similar?

Are these trade shows geared towards larger established designers/companies? I am hoping to source better fabrics than the ones I have access to atm. Yes I am small, and yes I will be dealing on low-volume. The latter will always be the case, by choice. I dont want to go to a large commercial trade gathering with all the factories and mills from china to wherever setting up stall hoping to get business. I am after lux fabrics, unique fabrics. Im guessing the Damir Domas, the CCP's the Miharayasuhiros etc go to these shows to acquire their fabrics. Please don't shoot me down for being ignorant or such, this is a forum I am merely seeking help, as perhaps some of you may have asked this question at one point in time.
    Originally posted by dji
    don't hesitate, just buy.
  • SHYE_POSER
    • Mar 2009

For europe premiere vision in paris is a very good trade show.
    It is on during september. Along with other fabric trade shows on at the same time. But premiere vision is the top 1!
    As for leathers it is possibly your best bet to try Italy.
    I often use thee guys for some leather and the occasional "exotic" skin. Prices are very good and quality is also very good. Especially the Jap hide leather! yum yum!
    HOME | GH Leathers Leather, wholesale, cow hide, lamb skin, UK, London, Northamptonshire, Suede, Veg, Vegtan, GH Leathers, GH London, Fashion, Upholstery, Interior, Nappa, Sheepskin, Prints, Foil, Metalic, fur, merchants, leather wholesaler, wool, splits, grainy, smooth, distressed, aged, mottled.

When i have some more info for you i shall let you know.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Sep 2008

Originally posted by 1.618 View Post
      Are these trade shows geared towards larger established designers/companies? I am hoping to source better fabrics than the ones I have access to atm. Yes I am small, and yes I will be dealing on low-volume. The latter will always be the case, by choice. I dont want to go to a large commercial trade gathering with all the factories and mills from china to wherever setting up stall hoping to get business. I am after lux fabrics, unique fabrics. Im guessing the Damir Domas, the CCP's the Miharayasuhiros etc go to these shows to acquire their fabrics. Please don't shoot me down for being ignorant or such, this is a forum I am merely seeking help, as perhaps some of you may have asked this question at one point in time.
      I think that especially in Japan, the market is so small that they are geared more towards smaller numbers, so being able to get great fabric for a smaller company is a def. possibility then say the US. In Tokyo you can recognize fabric at the fabric showrooms that many of the Japanese high-end brands are using from Kolor, Number (N)ine, Factotum, Undercover, N. Hoolywood, etc. It's really interesting to see.

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

busy now, but will respond later on this...........
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

I've been to Premiere Vision, and I had a blast. It was like a festival, but with grown ups and it was clean!

It's on from 15th sep to 18th so you should hurry up if you want to go. The leather selection was sort of tricky, but you could find good low volume deals, since you buy per yard. when coming to fabrics it was trickier, since the big mills in turkey and such demand an order of 1000 m or more. My experience was that the italian and japanese was more generous with small orders, and buying sample meters as a made for measure label was no problem at all. I still have my carbon fibre/silk organza which i haven't done anything with yet....

My favourite mill was probably Lyria, which provide Julius with fabrics. They had rubber coated wools and surreal fabrics all over the place, of course the prices were up to 100 euro's a meter, which will make a garment astronomically expensive after it's been produced in a factory and sold for retail in a store.

Comment

• delirium
            • Sep 2008

are these shows open registration? or do you have to have an in?

Comment

• Apr 2009

Thanks for the feedback everyone thus far. Its just over a month away, but im going to TRY to make it happen. Airfares are quite low atm (from Australia) so Ill see what I can do. Really want to up the quality of fabrics sooner rather than later, so i think I need to go now, rather than in March for the next one. hmmm
              Originally posted by dji
              don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• delirium
                • Sep 2008

interesting, what about the smaller shows?

good luck 1.618, take pictures if you can.

Comment

• Cordwinder
                  • May 2008

finally, something i can talk about.

your best option for japan textile trade show is the JapanCreation.
                  JFW JAPAN CREATION provides high-value added Japanese products such as high sensitivity, high quality and high function together and provides a business place for high-quality buyers gather from the world.

I work in this field. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Comment

• nutty07
                    • Jul 2008

Each year, I go to more than one trade shows. Premier Vision, Shanghai textile fair, etc, mostly the interstoff show. My business is all about textiles and garments, so I have to attend to get new updates for R&D and also for color and so on.

One thing I like to tell is that, most of the European, Japanese fabrics are always being copied by the Chinese. Somehow, the fabric come out very similar, but a lot cheaper. But still much worse in quality, and need to buy in big quantity,

But for the European and Japanese fabrics, the minimum are not high, but very very expensive, and also shipping cost will be high since, you probably gonna ask them to ship by air if you buy in small quantity.

One big thing, sometimes the exhibitors from Europe and Japan produced their fabrics in China, but you never know unless you go to China often and you see the same shit there at much cheaper selling price.

One of the best place to get knitting fabric is in Thailand, and also for cheap quality garment production, this is where I lived, but not for non-woven fabric.

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                      I often use thee guys for some leather and the occasional "exotic" skin. Prices are very good and quality is also very good. Especially the Jap hide leather! yum yum!
                      HOME | GH Leathers Leather, wholesale, cow hide, lamb skin, UK, London, Northamptonshire, Suede, Veg, Vegtan, GH Leathers, GH London, Fashion, Upholstery, Interior, Nappa, Sheepskin, Prints, Foil, Metalic, fur, merchants, leather wholesaler, wool, splits, grainy, smooth, distressed, aged, mottled.

When i have some more info for you i shall let you know.
                      SHYE_POSER, you're a star. I've been looking for something like this for a while now, and came across several companies, but ti seems these guys don't do huge minimums and they're based in England, which cuts on shipping costs etc. Do you know any reliable manufacturers in the UK who would be up to the task of doing small-label high-end production?

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

I've planned to go to this years PV, but it fell through. Does anyone know what length is the average sample length? I know that most of them do minimums of 100m-1000m, but how long is a sample that they're prepared to let go? And is there a possibility to order, say, two-three sample lengths (if it's a 10-20m each for example)?

Also, Cordwinder, tell us a bit more about JapanCreation. What are the minimums like? And do they do business in English?

Comment

when it comes to sample orders you usually have to buy 20-50 m of something, from the big mills, but it shouldn't be hard to find places with no minimum of sample meters. The problem for sample meters is that you might not be able to get all colours you'd like, as they produce maybe 1000 meters to sell as sample meters, and if they get more orders they'll produce the fabric big scale in all different colours available.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

If there are any US based designers looking for exotics and other good skins just let me know. I can put people in touch with a really great distributor :)
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎