X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klue
    • Apr 2009

Song for the Mute - Ink A/W 2010 Preview

Hello SZ, my name is Melvin and I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Earlier this year I was given the opportunity to collaborate with a friend of mine to start our own menswear label. We both quit our full-time jobs to work on this label and it's definitely been a rollercoaster ride to say the least! We just finished shooting our look book and I wanted to give you guys a preview for our first collection; Ink for A/W 2010 collection (Southern Hemisphere). We have plenty more new pieces on the way, and we look forward to sharing more with you in the coming months.

Range book and additional pics can be viewed on our temporary website

• crz
    • Apr 2008

hey man, should put this in designers and work section.. this looks hardly like diy!

Comment

• Apr 2009

Very solid debut melvin. I can see these pieces working with a lot of other labels of the same vein. The photography looks great! Look forward to seeing more.
      Originally posted by dji
      don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by crz View Post
        hey man, should put this in designers and work section.. this looks hardly like diy!
        No, this is the proper place.

Looks like the model is looking for his lost keys.

I think it looks good. I suppose nothing that we haven't seen before. Maybe tell us more about the fabrics and the ideas behind the collection, etc.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

E there is some information regarding the inspiration behind the collection and the background of the creators here, as well as a range book with details on the composition of the pieces.

Comment

• swami
            • Jul 2008

Is the model Gareth Moody?

Comment

• klue
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              No, this is the proper place.

I think it looks good. I suppose nothing that we haven't seen before. Maybe tell us more about the fabrics and the ideas behind the collection, etc.
              Thanks Faust. I guess in terms of the fabrics, we wanted to use a more interesting/textured fabrics without alienating the Australian market too much. So linen/wool instead of the usual cotton jersey stuff that you find here...

The main challenge for us here is to straddle the fashion enthusiast market without being too abstract for buyers that have stocked CON (or labels of the same vein) in the past. Afterall we do need to land on some local stockists here and CON is... everywhere

Originally posted by swami View Post
              Is the model Gareth Moody?

Comment

• swami
                • Jul 2008

Just busting your balls man!
                Good work and good luck

Comment

• almroth
                  • Jul 2008

It looks good! find a new photographer, though. I think the clothes would look better in a cleaner space with more interesting light usage.

Comment

• klue
                    • Apr 2009

Sincere thanks for your feedbacks!

re: photography - I see where you're coming from almroth. It was kind of a gamble for us. We're working on a very tight budget so we needed to find someone fairly new in the business that doesn't charge a ridiculous amount of money for a day shoot. The details/texture of the fabrics could have been shown better but in saying that, I am pretty happy with the result. But thanks! definitely something to think about for next season

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Hm. I like the drapey jacket. Some other pieces (like the shirt) look like they are there just to create some volume to the collection, but I must say for a debut it's a well done. Oh, and two other things - the scarf should burn, it's time people stop making these (imo); and you should give a cookie to the person that made up your logo - it's fab.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

looks pretty good to me, I do partly agree about the photos though, while well taken, they make all the clothing look a bit generic. better lighting would help show materials, textures etc. I'm looking at the range book and the pieces look quite nice.

the scarf is ok to me, but I wouldn't use it on all the looks. whats up with the footwear though, are they part of the range? the pointy, distressed shoes instantly felt slightly reminiscent of CON.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• asho
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                          whats up with the footwear though, are they part of the range? the pointy, distressed shoes instantly felt slightly reminiscent of CON.
                          I was thinking the same thing. when you're shooting a lookbook shoes are as important as the clothes. especially if they are not part of your range because to me it says: "out of every shoe ever produced I think these look best with my designs" and if access to good shoes is a problem then you need to consider if no shoes may have been a better option.

In the future if you need shoes for a shoot let me know as I have access to quite a few, which in my opinion would have done a lot for the overall cohesiveness of the range.

otherwise I like this a lot more than the rest of what is coming out of sydney at the moment.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2008

I believe the shoes came from a thrift store. Correct me if I'm wrong klue.

I really think the pants in the first 4 pictures look great - and while there are similarities to CoN, I get teh distinct impression that the attention to detail will surpass anything CoN has done.

I mean if they don't fall apart in the first 2 wears, then you have already surpassed them...

Comment

• klue
                              • Apr 2009

Just got back from Japan a couple of days ago - but thank you so much for all the discussion! Definitely taking all these points for our future offerings.

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                              Oh, and two other things - the scarf should burn, it's time people stop making these (imo); and you should give a cookie to the person that made up your logo - it's fab.
                              I can understand where you're coming from with the scarf. However, we were quite happy with the design of the 'buttoned' scarf as the customer can customise the length of the scarf to their liking. Might've been too happy that we overused it like mike pointed out lulz

oh and I did the logo, so thanks

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                              whats up with the footwear though, are they part of the range? the pointy, distressed shoes instantly felt slightly reminiscent of CON.
                              Originally posted by asho View Post
                              I was thinking the same thing. when you're shooting a lookbook shoes are as important as the clothes. especially if they are not part of your range because to me it says: "out of every shoe ever produced I think these look best with my designs" and if access to good shoes is a problem then you need to consider if no shoes may have been a better option.

In the future if you need shoes for a shoot let me know as I have access to quite a few, which in my opinion would have done a lot for the overall cohesiveness of the range.

otherwise I like this a lot more than the rest of what is coming out of sydney at the moment.
                              Thank you so much for the offer Asho. Really appreciate it.

Back then we were super pressed for time as we locked in the model just 2-3 days before the shoot. Also, we couldn't use an item or two from the collection coz it was too small for the model... We were hoping to borrow the model's own shoes but he only has vans/chucks . So yeah, ivan is correct.. we purchased those shoes from a thrift store for $25AU... probably the biggest mistake we've made. lesson learned.

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                              I really think the pants in the first 4 pictures look great - and while there are similarities to CoN, I get teh distinct impression that the attention to detail will surpass anything CoN has done.

I mean if they don't fall apart in the first 2 wears, then you have already surpassed them...
                              Haha I've received a few PMs regarding that item so I'm very pleased that ppl are digging it!

Next week we should be getting the new sample of the wrap jacket in cotton/linen/viscose blend which feels very luxurious! and it should drape nicer than the wool version. Also will be getting the same style as curved denim but in waxed cotton fabric. Will take pics and post them up here when I get the chance

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎