• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • move_ment
    • Feb 2009

ARJ SELVAM - 1.618 - S/S 2010 Preview

Based on the world we live in, the people around us,
    and the issues and tangible creations placed in front of our eyes.
    White to convey the void space.
    Black to convey energy.
    Grey to convey everything in between.
    Garments inspired by yester-centuries, sophistication of mother nature,
    dynamics of all workings & the simplicity and complexity of objects.
    Emotions & visions that allow the double-hemisphere to spin on its axis.

Holding Degrees in Engineering and Business, Arj Selvam made the decision in his honours year to develop an Australian menswear label that focused on minimalistic design approach, while paying close attention to choice of fabric and fit. This is his debut range for S/S 2010. A concise collection consisting mostly of basics in a muted color palette.

Website will be live in the coming weeks showcasing the full campaign along with product shots, extra info & stockists:

Last edited by move_ment; 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM.
  • TRSltd
    • Feb 2009

Sorry, but too Basic. Another _7, ma+, ccp and others. баян

maybe?

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

I would love to see more, as it doesnt look bad, but this suffers from overstyling, where the designer seems to be concentating too much on "mood" and not making the best effort to show his work
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• fenrost
        Banned
        • Mar 2009

hi arj, since it's a debut line, perhaps, a more in-depth description of what you believe in, and what inspire you in this collection will help.

Originally posted by TRSltd View Post

maybe?
        can you elaborate? because i am interested to know. i fail to relate all 3 - m.a+, ccp or _7 together as i see it in comparison they are quite different, (although all 3 are not quite the alpha of what they do) but if you can see these 3 and others in this collection, won't that be considered a sort of remediation in fashion? (i am sure there is a proper term for this maybe some fashion academic can help?).

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TRSltd View Post

maybe?
          don't be an idiot
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Apr 2009

Zamb - I agree with you completely. Yes, the campaign shots show minimal detail in the pieces, but my main purpose with these shots was to create an atmosphere which would best represent the pieces, but more so the direction of the line. I have taken product shots that better outline the fit and detail, and I will post these shortly.

Fenrost - My inspiration comes from many areas. I have always had a fascination with the works of Da Vinci. I know, not exactly related to fashion, but in a sense how his intellect has been applied through many disciplines. My background is engineering, and although I never formally studied design, I took the onus to learn the necessaries of patternmaking and sewing during the experimental and research stages. I am no expert in either practice, but it helps me in my design conception and the transferring of ideas with the few people I work closely with. I am drawn to those designers/labels that use artisinal methods to develop clothing/jewellery and it is something I would like to push for in the future whether that involves specific treatment on the hardware or using non-conventional means to acquire a certain effect. As I posted some time back, I am working on a small capsule jewellery collection which I plan to incorporate in my next range.

With regards to this collection I was mainly inspired by the 'Black Circle', one of the works by Kasimir Malevich who led the Suprematism art movement in the early 1900's. Essentially the stripping back of all unnecessaries and focusing on the pieces at hand without sacrificing details. As such the selection of materials played an important role. Materials used included bamboo and modal jerseys, linens, handwoven silk and silk blends. It is a small collection, but I wanted to ensure it was a cohesive one and that I got the cut and fabrications right.
            Originally posted by dji
            don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• Apr 2009

some shots of the pieces:
              Last edited by 1.618; 10-14-2009, 02:13 AM. Reason: shown below
              Originally posted by dji
              don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

I like the white linen shirt, I like the idea behid the white tee, but not sure about the fit of it
                I like the fit of the jacket , but not too keen on the shawl collar and the square hem.
                the quality of the sewing and cutting seems pretty good, so the work does have potential..............
                looking firward to seeing and hearing more about the line........

Comment

• C'est Fini
                  • Sep 2009

Bravo for the effort.

Why is there so much pseudo intellectual garb attached to rather plain garments?

I dont know much about australia and how things work there but this looks like a new SZ iteration of tsubi. The circle tee shirt isnt very flattering im afraid. Id work on a new version of shorts, the double layer thing is something you want to stay clear of. Unless your plans are for high street. How much do you plan to retail your stuff for?

I dont necessarily mind the viewpoint. But I think the clothes as such need a little more refining, which ofcourse will come in time.
                  Keep working at it.

Also I love it when I see designers using other designers shoes in their lookbooks.

Comment

• move_ment
                    • Feb 2009

The complete set of product shots are now online as seen below. www.arjselvam.com will be live in the coming days with more information. Feel free to ask for more detailed images on any of the pieces.

Any constructive feedback would also be greatly appreciated, as i'm sure the opinions of zamb & C'est Fini will be taken into consideration. I'd also like to add, for a first collection and a designer finding his feet, the collection has come together extremely well. The construction and materials are of impeccable quality.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

I like some of it, the pieces seem to be well made, but what I don't like, and its becoming an annoyance for me, is that I don't see the individuality, the uniqueness of the designers vision in the work...................
                      Maybe I will look again next season, maybe by then he will be more confident, believe in his own vision some more, but right now, it draws too much "inspiration' from a lot of other brands that already exists......

Keep working at it though, hopefully it gets better as you grow..............

Comment

• fenrost
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

agree with zamb.. the vision is very vague.. that being said, i think it's too early to conclude there is any influence of any particular designer because everything seems basic... there isn't much extreme pieces.. so far it focuses more of the construction, fitting, the material used etc.. well that's at least what i see.

also agree there is some sort of "australian" vibe in it esp when i look at the printed t's.. which is not a bad thing tho.. like there's a herritage and homage to this label.
                        Last edited by fenrost; 10-13-2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• move_ment
                          • Feb 2009

It's certainly heading in the right direction imo, and in a sense I can see where you are both coming from. That being said, while this collection focusses on materials and tailoring, he has left his aesthetic open to evolve into any avenue he wishes to push it. I can see the application of all techniques and material knowledge learned for SS into a more progressive AW collection.

Like all clothing, you can't compare to the real thing, but it's exciting to see an Australian label using such nice fabrics with a great final execution.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                            It's certainly heading in the right direction imo, and in a sense I can see where you are both coming from. That being said, while this collection focusses on materials and tailoring, he has left his aesthetic open to evolve into any avenue he wishes to push it. I can see the application of all techniques and material knowledge learned for SS into a more progressive AW collection.

Like all clothing, you can't compare to the real thing, but it's exciting to see an Australian label using such nice fabrics with a great final execution.
                            this is the part to which I am referring,
                            what are/ were his inspirations before designing the collection? What are the things that shapes his worldview and outlook that would ultimately shine through in his work ?
                            Even if his motivations and inspirations are similar to other brands/ designers, it should still have his unique vision/ perspective/ interpretations of such things..............
                            It's like sitting in an art class and getting a verbal description of an images to draw, if ten students are hearing the description, there will be some similarities in the end result of each, but each having a uniqueness that comes from the mind of the individual illustrator.............
                            I am looking for this uniqueness in his (and many others) work and I am just not seeing it..............

and I know that I am setting up myself for trouble here, because hopefully when this same rigorous standard is applied to my own work, it will meet the level to which I am holding others accountable................

Comment

• Ivans On High
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              It's like sitting in an art class and getting a verbal description of an images to draw, if ten students are hearing the description, there will be some similarities in the end result of each, but each having a uniqueness that comes from the mind of the individual illustrator.............
                              I am looking for this uniqueness in his (and many others) work and I am just not seeing it..............
                              If you applied this principle and then split that group into smaller groups based on, say, whether or not they post on StyleZeitgeist, I am sure the similarities within those groups would be even more prevalent...
                              Last edited by Ivans On High; 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎