• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

The Japanese Influence - FT

Found this quite interesting, not the articles itself, I guess, which is pretty obvious, but the designers they quoted.

LINK

The Japanese influence on what we wear

By Mark C. O’Flaherty
    Published: October 2 2009 23:14 | Last updated: October 2 2009 23:14

When Rei Kawakubo shows her spring/summer 2010 Comme des Garçons women’s wear collection in Paris today, it will mark the brand’s 40th year in the fashion business. Next year, Issey Miyake follows suit and, in spring 2011, London’s Victoria and Albert Museum will commemorate 30 years of Yohji Yamamoto.
    Once revolutionaries who stunned the French fashion world with their first prêt-à-porter shows in the 1980s, these Japanese designers have become the establishment, paving the way for a new generation of eastern designers including Jun Takahashi of Undercover, Junya Watanabe and Tao Kurihara of the Comme des Garçons stable, and Limi Feu, Yamamoto’s daughter.
    But how exactly has the Japanese aesthetic changed what we wear? “When the Japanese arrived in France, western fashion was surprisingly conventional,” says Claire Wilcox, fashion curator at the V&A . “They had a huge impact, creating a disruption of construction.” By which she means unstructured, deconstructed and skewed garments, acting as the antithesis of an era defined by the sculpted shoulder pad and Alaïa’s body-hugging garments. “It’s about opposition to body shape,” says Wilcox. “A Miyake Pleats Please dress moves in opposition to the natural form, and Kawakubo’s bumps collection was a total distortion of the human body.” Similarly confrontational was their absence of colour palette – everything was in black.
    “I was just finishing my studies when [Japanese designers] had their European debut,” recalls Ann Demeulemeester, the Belgian designer. “It was a brave new step in fashion – the beginning of a new freedom for me as a designer and as a woman.” Demeulemeester’s aesthetic has continued to work in parallel with the promise of the Japanese revolution, shunning trend, embracing the avant-garde, and focusing on monochrome, “because, like an architect, new structures are clearer in black and white”, she says.
    John Richmond, who started the 3D Richmond Cornejo label in 1984 with fellow London clubland prodigy Maria Cornejo, says: “When I was growing up you couldn’t find black clothes. It was only with the Japanese that black really started. I love using black because I grew up in Manchester where the light always makes colour look grim.”
    For Cornejo, who recently celebrated 10 years of her New York-based Zero label, the influence of the Japanese was in “their cutting, and the fact that they also broke new ground.”
    Similarly, designer Rick Owens, whose artful deconstruction shares the Japanese spirit, found their outsider status as much of an inspiration as their cuts. “For a 19-year-old art student goth, it was illuminating to see that the uptight fashion world could accommodate a weirdo,” he says. “If Halston gave the world the white butterfly orchid, Comme gave us black leggings.”
    Professor Wendy Dagworthy of the Royal College of Art, says: “The influence of the kimono was definitely apparent. They took traditional dress and did it in a very modern way. They also have a clear love of western fashion and culture. One of my favourite Yamamoto collections was in the 1980s and shown as an homage to 1960s Cardin: very moulded with lots of holes cut out of it – the shapes were very beautiful.”
    Bradley Quinn, a fashion author and curator, says: “Their work has an integrity that western fashion lacks. It is more about nature than artifice.”
    Designer Hussein Chalayan agrees.“The most important influence on their work is the philosophy of wabi-sabi, a thesis about the beauty of the moment and the actuality of being,” he says. “It is the magic of being Japanese that could never be understood by anyone but the Japanese themselves.”
    When Yamamoto showed a range of Adidas trainers in 2001, it seemed shocking – two incompatible worlds colliding – but a year later he launched Y-3 and sports wear and the high street didn’t seem like such distant universes any more.
    “It makes perfect sense,” says Claire Wilcox. “The sports shoe in particular is a perfect match – the very idea of high heels with Japanese fashion is ridiculous.”
    Last edited by Faust; 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Interesting. I always thought Japanese fashion was influenced by European, instead of the other way around. That last part about high heels being incompatible with Japanese fashion is funny - and has some truth to it. When I think of Japanese fashion, delicate footwear does not come to mind. Thanks for posting this, Faust.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust. Yes, nothing new there, but the interviewees list is quite good. Can't believe Rick was a goth - can that be true?

The East/West thing works both ways of course. Clearly Japanese designers have influenced a whole generation (the one before this, and the Belgians, mainly), but they also take their fair share of influence the other way. In fact the whole starting point for cdg was to try to present western clothes refracted through japanese eyes.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

/\ Exactly. Also, Yohji is influenced by early 20th Century European clothes (20s-30s especially).
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
          • Sep 2006

let's not forget junya, and of course japan's general obsession with american culture since the war.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ indeed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

interesting article, thanks faust.
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

cheers, Avantster. We will talk about it more when you come to Paris in January.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• markcoflaherty
                  • Nov 2009

The original article

Hi there, I wrote the above piece for the FT, but it's a very much edited version of my original piece (which I'm now trying to develop as a book project).

I thought you might find the original of some interest (see hyperlink below). And yes, Yohji has taken a lot of inspiration from garments captured in early 20th century photography, and that two-way street of inspiration is something that I'd love to explore further, but this piece was really focused about the inspiration of the Japanese on western fashion... and there are, of course, so many designers (Kenzo in particular) who deserve discussion too.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ Thanks for posting the original! By the way, Demeulemeester's name is Ann. :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

Indeed, thanks for posting Mark. I see in your original article you mention you've interviewed Yohji some time ago - I'd love to read it.
                      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• markcoflaherty
                        • Nov 2009

The original article

Thanks Faust! I rely on subs too much to check my spelling!

The original Yohji interview was for an FT travel piece about his experiences of Tokyo. I'll try and upload it at some point... But it's not, I have to say, madly exciting. Although he makes a few interesting points about how traditional Japanese 'fashion' couldn't win the war with the functionality of western garb.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎