X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobo
    • Jul 2009

Twitter

NOTE: these posts have been moved here from another thread (includinf the first 74 posts of this thread)

this might result in some confusing references in the posts relating to the old thread.

If anyone's interested, I just started tweeting. I'm sure many may argue that I've been tweeting for far too long already, but...

Anyway, I have two tweets, @boho_mark (general day to day life stuff) and @sartorial_hobo (fashion, art, comment etc). The latter is inspired by this thread. I've never done this tweeting thing before, so I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know what you think.

Faust and a few other guys on here know me in person so I'm sure that they'd confirm that there aren’t many groups of individuals on the internet, who I'd ask the opinions of, so give me some feedback.

Sorry, blatantly advertising now, but not for commercial reasons.
    Last edited by lowrey; 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: moved
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Hobo, I'd tell you what I think about tweeting, but I'm afraid I'd have to ban myself!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Hobo, I'd tell you what I think about tweeting, but I'm afraid I'd have to ban myself!
      Go on, tell me. It would be really funny if you had to ban yourself. You'd better ban mike and I too, 'cos' he's tweeting and we follow each other. Don't ban us for tweeting, more because the thought of two grown men following each other is a bit creepy!

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
      . Is them pants leather?
      Absolutely... it's the future!!!

Originally posted by MonaDahl
      Hmm, thanks guys. I think the shirt/vest combination works better irl, the long sleeve is less shiny, and darker. This is a more accurate color representation

The combo does look better in image two, but over all I still like the first image better. Your complexion is a little grey in the second shot. I think you need some sun on your skin!

Originally posted by ledger
      Them pants be leather alright,to be honest the pictures really dont do em' justice at all.
      Stop looking at my pants, Ledger!

Originally posted by MonaDahl
      hmmm?
      In the infamous words of Al Pachino, "Hu, ha."
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Hobo, no offense, but I think tweeter is done by the ADD generation for the ADD generation. I really don't see the point. Another waste of time, another excuse to look at your iphone. You can hardly even form a worthwhile thought in 140 characters.

Here is my favorite sketch about it - not sure if viewable outside the states.

This was funny too. Of course right next to the article is an icon so you can tweet it.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hobo
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Hobo, no offense, but I think tweeter is done by the ADD generation for the ADD generation. I really don't see the point. Another waste of time, another excuse to look at your iphone. You can hardly even form a worthwhile thought in 140 characters.

Here is my favorite sketch about it - not sure if viewable outside the states.

This was funny too. Of course right next to the article is an icon so you can tweet it.
          Wow, I don’t know what to say...

Wow, over the past few months you guys have taken me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. You’ve made me smile, you’ve pissed me off and you’ve made me laugh out loud... but I really am left feeling nothing but empty after that ‘charge of the shite brigade’, and lead by you Faust, fuck me man, I really thought more of you than that. I mean, to sweepingly dismiss a whole style/genre (whatever you want to call it) is nothing short of remedial. I mean it man, did you ever notice that almost every fucking post on this thread is under 140 characters, and have you actually read some of the inane comments made. But here’s the crunch, after blindingly slamming twitter, calling it (well I’ll let you read back and look at all the things that you called it, I really can’t be arsed), you all actually proceed to have the most banal conversation about what a terrible year you’ve all had! Fuck me, you’ve got to see the irony there, surely...

Anyway, no offence taken Faust, it wasn’t me you attacked it was twitter.

Yes I do think that the store can benefit from twitter, it’s all PR, That’s why I set up an account for the store, but that’s not why I set up my twitter account. I set up “@sartorial_hobo” because I care about the industry that I work in and I care about the people that I work with (and believe it or not that includes you!), and I’ll promote them and the sanity that they bring to an insane world, dominated by corporate greed and dishonesty, that would have us all dressing, acting and clucking on forums like fucking clones, in any way that I can!

So my friends, in years to come, you can all look back on these pages and read what you wrote, with the same feelings that the highbrow and oh so funny NYT journalist will look back on her condescending article with, or with the same feelings of those that said that rock music was a fad, or house music, or the internet, or the combustion engine!

So here’s a wakeup call; Not all Mexicans do drink Tequila, not all deserts are hot, not all romantic novels are bad, not all politicians are lyers, not all cars have four wheels, not all black people live in the hood, not all Mozart’s scores are brilliant, not all Shaxpur’s characters are great, and guess what, not all fucking twitters are pointless!

So, I’ll make you a deal, I’m going to post my last 10 posts from “@sartorial_hobo” and if you can find 10 posts in a row, from this thread, that we mutually agree to tackle more interesting or thought provoking topics, I’ll concede your point, and apologise for my little rant. If you can’t, you will... Deal?

sartorial_hobo
          1. Ahh to sleep, perchance to dream...about 24 hours ago from Tweetie

2. Just because something is subjective is no excuse not to be objective, when presenting ones opinion... Dude!8:11 PM Oct 26th from Tweetie

3. Augusta 01 Show Boot in reverse horse hide (http://yfrog.com/0aimg7422twj) You've got to love the texture. (http://yfrog.com/0iimg7423qj)about 11 hours ago from web

4. This is clothing. This is fashion. It's about texture, fabric, finish. You've got to hold it and feel it. It's tactile.about 11 hours ago from web

5. Fuck those big labels who spend 90% of their budget on marketing, this century is going to be about the resurgence of the little guy...about 11 hours ago from web

6. Bespoke, handmade in small quantities with love and care... Exciting times my friends, exciting times!about 11 hours ago from web

7. Well dn Geoffrey B Small, Label Under Construction, Maurizio Amadei, Maurizio Altieri, Marvie and all who r making our industry real again.about 11 hours ago from web

8. Thank you Pollyanna, Sartorial Loft, Darklands, Library, Atelier and all the stores who strive to support these artisans and crafts people.about 11 hours ago from web

9. Just thinking about the increasing divide between the big budget designer labels / magazines and the atilier designers / new media press.about 4 hours ago from Tweetie

10. The chasm is widening, my friends... These are exciting times, we live in!about 4 hours ago from Tweetie

11. @MikeNouveau Happy Birthday!!! Suprise!!!about 2 hours ago from Tweetie in reply to MikeNouveau

There you go ten posts + bonus!

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
          I tried to provoke some reactions in the randomness thread earlier by comparing the Iphone frenzy to Dawn of the Dead.
          Tweeting with your Iphones is only the next step towards alienation from real life.

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
          Sums up my thoughts on this creation, word for word.

DRRK's comment about the a further step towards a cubicle world is poignant as well.
          Why not try to think of an original way to put that. It would be more interesting!

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
          that lazy but famous poem doesn't suffice in defense of modern mind rot
          'Mind rot', that's what you call the free, uncensored flow of information! That's what my father used to call T.V. hmmm that fad lasted too. And look at the fantastic documentaries, commentaries and new available now... Yes most T.V. is shit, but that doesn't mean it all is. Why don't you open your mind, and we can all step inside?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Hobo, I think you are overreacting. I really did not mean to take a stab at you! But you asked for my opinion of twitter, which I did not want to give at first. I thought you suspected it would be negative, judging by my initial post. I also thought my post was lighthearted. I guess not.

And, contrary to a popular belief, I do not lead any charges. Sometimes people agree with my opinion, and it may look like people are ganging up on you, but believe me, it's not premeditated!

To be sure, there is fluff here on SZ, but one post by dolochev today in the Issue of Authorship thread counteracts all of the fluff for the day.

Anyway, I hope we can proceed in a peaceful manner. I really cannot fight anymore. Last week was crazy enough.

P.S. I will tell you about my year when I see you in Paris in 2010. It is far from banal, believe me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by hobo
              I mean, to sweepingly dismiss a whole style/genre (whatever you want to call it) is nothing short of remedial. I mean it man, did you ever notice that almost every fucking post on this thread is under 140 characters, and have you actually read some of the inane comments made. But here’s the crunch, after blindingly slamming twitter, calling it (well I’ll let you read back and look at all the things that you called it, I really can’t be arsed), you all actually proceed to have the most banal conversation about what a terrible year you’ve all had! Fuck me, you’ve got to see the irony there, surely...
              i don't know about twitter really but isn't the difference here that a forum is a conversation and a tweet is just like a declaration? to be read by your followers? so there is no discussion, right? just seems like another timewaster to me. but it makes sense as a tool for businesses. for personal use, i'm out...
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• merkuri
                • Sep 2009

no, actual conversations are enabled and encouraged and it is an extremely effective marketing tool and means of cheap pr-and pr people are among the most overpaid on earth. so thank you twitter.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by hobo
                  'Mind rot', that's what you call the free, uncensored flow of information! That's what my father used to call T.V. that fad lasted too. And look at the fantastic documentaries, commentaries and new available now... Yes most T.V. is shit, but that doesn't mean it all is. Why don't you open your mind, and we can all step inside?
                  twitter is not television
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed
                    i don't know about twitter really but isn't the difference here that a forum is a conversation and a tweet is just like a declaration? to be read by your followers? so there is no discussion, right? just seems like another timewaster to me. but it makes sense as a tool for businesses. for personal use, i'm out...
                    yes, similar to the difference between a forum and a blog...i've thought about starting a blog but then i think about the people who would read it and i start to cringe...and i don't really like the idea of being in the spotlight or being a leader...but then it doesn't sound like such a bad idea, if perhaps i could make some money off the advertisements to buy more clothes...still up in the air about this one.
                    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• hobo
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust
                      Hobo, I think you are overreacting. I really did not mean to take a stab at you! But you asked for my opinion of twitter, which I did not want to give at first. I thought you suspected it would be negative, judging by my initial post. I also thought my post was lighthearted. I guess not.

And, contrary to a popular belief, I do not lead any charges. Sometimes people agree with my opinion, and it may look like people are ganging up on you, but believe me, it's not premeditated!

To be sure, there is fluff here on SZ, but one post by dolochev today in the Issue of Authorship thread counteracts all of the fluff for the day.

Anyway, I hope we can proceed in a peaceful manner. I really cannot fight anymore. Last week was crazy enough.

P.S. I will tell you about my year when I see you in Paris in 2010. It is far from banal, believe me.
                      Faust, please let me be clear; I really was not offended and I do relish a good debate. I just make my point with too much enthusiasm sometimes. But it is enthusiasm not anger, it is always positive, and I am always open to hear the opposing argument. It’s just that I prefer an opposing argument with a little more substance. Anyway, I did not take personal offence and I did not think that the good, if slightly deluded, people of the SZ were ganging up on me. I did not think that you had deliberately lead the charge, but lead it you did, as you posted the first comment/opinion on the subject, which incidentally, I did not ask for, but as always I was pleased to hear, despite what you might think from my reaction. Most importantly it I would like you to understand that I did not call your year banal, or indeed anyone else’s. I called the conversation banal. My point was that it was no more or less important than one of the better tweeting conversations. It was just published in a different and more accepted format.

Look I'm a passionate person and I argue with vigour. I don't take any of it personally and I would hope that you guys don't either. I care about your opinions, otherwise why would I bother to contribute.

My point was a simple one, which I probably overcomplicated in my frenzy to get it across. So here it is broken down: -
                      1. You cannot judge things which you have not experienced firsthand. If you do, no matter how good your information is, you will inevitably run into trouble.
                      2. To dismiss a whole genre of communication is not wise, because there will always be someone who comes along and does use said genre wisely.
                      3. This pack instinct that develops where any group of people congregate, including forums, but also school yards, clouds the judgement.
                      4. The simple facts of the matter are that twitter, although it may be used by twits, in the majority, is still a useful tool for communicating thoughts and ideas, in exactly the same way that Newspapers, T.V, Blogs, Forums, and telephones are. Although Twitter is limited to 140 characters, as has been pointed out, it is also immediate, and that immediacy is something quite unique, which makes it a new tool, to be used in conjunction with existing ones not instead of them. To be able to think of something, which you believe to be relevant or important, and to be able to pull your mobile out of your pocket and post it, is fantastic. Ten years ago I used to be a professional DJ and promoter and when CD decks came out I know many who hated them and criticized them (I was never too keen on them!). Now many of those people are using them, in situations where they are appropriate; the right tool for the job. Now the exact same debate is raging about whether iPods should be used by professional DJs, and so it will go on...

Originally posted by cjbreed
                      That was pretty much the argument against mobile phones, and then texting. It's not a waste of time, it's just that you haven’t thought of a good use for it yet, but that doesn't mean that others haven't. Just because others have different priorities to you doesn't make them a waste of time. You know many would argue that you posting on this forum is a waste of time but that doesn't mean that it is.

Originally posted by merkuri
                      no, actual conversations are enabled and encouraged and it is an extremely effective marketing tool and means of cheap pr-and pr people are among the most overpaid on earth. so thank you twitter.
                      A good point, but it could be so much more than that, if the right people learned to use it. The problem is that the right people are usually the last to realise the potential of something and the kids are usually the first. Hence the inane twitters that go on at the moment. As Oskar Wilde said “Youth is wasted on the young.” When text messaging first started, it was invented for and marketed towards business people, so that they could get messages to each other, when they weren't in a position to make a call. Did they pick up on it? Did they fuck! It was the kids that saved texting from the mobile communication companies’ bins and aren't we all glad that they did now! I know that I rely on text messaging very much to conduct my day to day business life. The problem is the older we get the more closed minded we get.

Originally posted by AKA*NYC
                      twitter is not television
                      Great fucking point man! I mean really, you just took my argument apart piece by piece with that one!

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                      Another day, another house robbed!

Ps. Great look Maldoror.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Alright, Hobo. You definitely have a point. Let's see how this twitter thing develops in the future. Peace.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

1. You cannot judge things which you have not experienced firsthand. If you do, no matter how good your information is, you will inevitably run into trouble.

just was reading some articles about this dark period for scientology with fraud allegations and defects. and then i read this. and i thought this is on of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios then.
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ yea, it's one of those eternal questions that people are split on. Some things you definitely don't need to experience firsthand (like jumping off a building, for example).

You know, after Stephen Crane wrote The Red Badge of Courage, he got hundreds of letters from people who were completely sure that he served in their regiment during the Civil War, down to "I remember you, man, we did this and that together."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hobo
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by philip nod

just was reading some articles about this dark period for scientology with fraud allegations and defects. and then i read this. and i thought this is on of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios then.
                              Yeah, you're right but do you need to actually make a judgement. By definition, that's a pretty conclusive thing. Maybe you could just form an opinion and try to keep an open mind. That's all I'm saying. For example, when you first PMed me, I thought that you were and idiot, I formed an opinion but I kept an open mind and now I understand that you’re just misguided.

Well, it works in theory!

Originally posted by Faust
                              /\ yea, it's one of those eternal questions that people are split on. Some things you definitely don't need to experience firsthand (like jumping off a building, for example).

You know, after Stephen Crane wrote The Red Badge of Courage, he got hundreds of letters from people who were completely sure that he served in their regiment during the Civil War, down to "I remember you, man, we did this and that together."
                              You see Faust, there you go doing it again. I mean, don't be so quick to judge jumping off of buildings. I'd highly recommend a parachute if you're going to try it though!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎