X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Thanksgiving suggestions

I'm (as always) assembling and cooking thanksgiving for my family. They're enthusiastic eaters, but we're not particularly hung up on tradition, which means I get to cook a different thanksgiving dinner every year.

The only things I can't tinker with are the bread stuffing (Terra restaurant's recipe is immutable), the cornbread pudding, and a butternut squash soup. Everything else is fair game.

I have some ideas, but I'm wondering what people's favorite thanksgiving dishes are. Traditional is lovely, non-traditional is lovely. Sometime this weekend I'll put up a handful of my favorite recipes. I'm only cooking for 15 or so people, and I have 2 days to shop and cook, so I have plenty of flexibility.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

sushi.

dude, i want to come to your thanksgiving. sounds ballerific. i remember you stressing one day though! was it last year? must've been.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      sushi.

dude, i want to come to your thanksgiving. sounds ballerific. i remember you stressing one day though! was it last year? must've been.
      More is merrier! I have a day to prep. I'll probably keep it simple (for me, for thanksgiving). Aiming for 12 savory, 6 sweet courses.

Yeah, last year was brutal. Family invited many guests, we were deep in the mountains (4 burners, 1 oven, no stores) and I didn't get to town to check my ingredients had arrived until 11:45 PMish Wednesday night.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

music

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

After years of cooking vegetarian savory courses for my sister in parallel with the main thanksgiving, she started eating meat again. I am never again cooking a tofurkey.

EDIT: Also, bacon in everything.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Understandable, but beacuse I'm a thanksgiving grinch, about 9:15 in...
            music

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

You know, I'm not sure how to feel about my heritage bird now. I mean, it's good that it wasn't fed drugs, that it ran around and ate stuff off the ground, and that it was capable of fucking. But, at the same time, I'm pretty content without considering the sex life of my food. Thanks Casem.

Edit: heh, no feathers ruffled. Don't worry case.
              Last edited by theetruscan; 11-12-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

Hey, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, I just saw that segment and your post made me think of it. I'm glad you got a free range bird. There is no one harsher than an ex-vegetarian, my brother was vegetarian before me and now he's not and guess who gives me the most crap about my tofurky come Thanksgiving...

BTW: My favorite thanksgiving dish besides the usual mash potatoes and stuffing has to be sweet potatoes. We make them white trash style, lots of brown sugar and butter with marshmallow's baked on top, so good. You can probably find a classier recipe somewhere...
                music

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

casem, i strongly sympathize with vegetarian lifestyle on many levels, but why eat that processed stuff? it's so bad for you.

i'm always stumped at thanksgiving, because i don't like any of the traditional food, and i seem to be the only one who doesn't....but i'm cooking for 6 this year and i get to do whatever i want.

so i'm thinking,
                  -chicken or duck liver pate w/asian pickles on a baguette
                  -butternut squash and tomato soup with crispy chickpeas (kind of north african)
                  -duck w/ fried ginger and five spice powder
                  -turnips w/ butter and soy sauce
                  -braised cavolo nero w/ chiles and rosemary
                  -roasted corn pudding in acorn squash w/ anise and scallions (i've never made this before but the recipe intrigues me)
                  -something with pears, but savory (in place of cranberry sauce)
                  -red wine and apple tart

i also need to make stuffing, which i really passionately dislike , so maybe you can share your secret recipe, theetruscan?
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

Does no one do a sweet potato souffle for Thanksgiving?
                    Sweet potato w/ condensed milk..mmmmm. I've been doing the same stuffing for a solid decade +. You've got me wanting to tryTerra restaurant's recipe though. Hope a google search brings it up.
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• DHC
                      • Jul 2007

/\ LOL! What's wrong with Laika's menu? It sounds exciting. Kudos for going international Laika!

Bacon...*drools*

Sartorialoft

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

hahaa...right on.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

ooooohhh. oh now it makes sense.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

merz.....

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                            /\ LOL! What's wrong with Laika's menu? It sounds exciting. Kudos for going international Laika!
                            yes, it's quite obnoxiously international when i read it back, but in my defense, i'm cooking for people who require spicy food.
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                              • Nov 2009

Laika - what about a pear chutney with chili - easy and leftovers go with all kinds of meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎