X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noel95
    • Oct 2009

Silent By Damir Doma

Damir Doma has to be one of our favourite labels of 2009, so we were excited to find out that they are launching a new diffusion line called Silent. The collection will include a series of basic items – jersey and denim in a similar silhouette to the Damir Doma mainline as well as washed leather and canvas footwear and accessories at a more accessible price and style. The initial release for the label will be these simple yet impressive luxury sneakers in white and black leather and suede.

• zamb
    • Nov 2006

Is this really true?
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Noel, please search before you post - this has been discussed plenty before.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Oh weh mir
        • Oct 2008

^This being the case, I don't think there is a dedicated thread for Silent. I've wondered about this before, seeing as there never seem to be comprehensive threads for diffusion lines. Are the seasonal designer threads meant to be all inclusive, or do the diffusion line threads simply not garner enough interest due to the lack of available information/images/etc? It seems sort of hit or miss, with the drkshdw thread left nearly untouched and the Julius MA thread being several pages in length.

I think a Silent thread would be a good idea, I'd certainly like to see more of what's offered in the collection. Limiting the thread to sneakers feels like a bit of a waste though.
        Originally posted by AVALANCHE
        is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

I'm digging these black sneakers. Very minimalist with a touch of vintage to them... something that you can beat up and wear in nicely.

I'm curious about Doma's Silent line... not much has been put up/out there in regards to how it stands apart from him main line. Unless I'm missing something!
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Sombre
            • Jan 2009

I missed the initial discussion on Silent, so I'll just voice my thoughts here. I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about this. Faust, Zamb and othrs have said before that diffusion lines are meant for established designers who have been around for a while to offer something more accessible but retain their vision. My concerns with Doma doing this are:

The label, while having defined an aesthetic and vision, IMO has not been around long enough to "water it down," as I see it as still evolving (especially in the case of SS10). If the mainline is still solidifying its aesthetic, what will there be for the diffusion line to pick up on?

In order to lower prices, diffusion lines are usually made with cheaper fabrics or at a cheaper factory with cheaper labour. Iirc, Doma switched manufacturers for SS2010 onwards because of some quality issues with previous lines. The original post said Silent will be at "a more accessible price," meaning more accessible than current prices. If Doma is going to use cheaper materials/labour than he presently does (which already has become problematic), what will the quality of Silent be like?

To be clear, I have no evidence for my second point besides the general trend of diffusion lines being cheaper than their mainline counterparts, so if it is inaccurate, I'll gladly edit that part of the post.
            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Christian argued that Silent is not a diffusion line at all, and therefore should not be treated as an extension of Doma's vision. Maybe he can elaborate on that (because the natural question that arises in that case is "why bother?").
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                • Mar 2009

It is not a direct diffusion line.
                Its is a product by paper rain (his backers i presume) designed by Damir Doma.
                It has nothing to do with his own line/vision,he is just designing a product for another company. Its not unheard of,as many designers have designed other side projects which have no association with their own line
                But there is a womens collection 2 look forward to in the new year.
                (had a rather lengthy chat with DD over the weekend) Aswell as some new brick and mortar stockists in London for ss10.
                merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                  • Oct 2008

^ thanks for clearing that up. ^
                  Originally posted by AVALANCHE
                  is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Chant
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                    It is not a direct diffusion line.
                    Its is a product by paper rain (his backers i presume) designed by Damir Doma.
                    It has nothing to do with his own line/vision,he is just designing a product for another company. Its not unheard of,as many designers have designed other side projects which have no association with their own line
                    But there is a womens collection 2 look forward to in the new year.
                    (had a rather lengthy chat with DD over the weekend) Aswell as some new brick and mortar stockists in London for ss10.
                    As far as I know it's not designed by Damir : the line is headed by him, with some designs from his own. But it's not very clear yet, even in their minds, what they want to do with this line, which is not a diffusion line : as I said the main idea is "organic basics with a soft effortless DD inspired shape".

SombreResplendence, no offense, but what you say about the quality of DD looks like second-hand thoughts. Quality issues are over, and were very isolated. Regarding current production, I can asssure you that the quality of fabrics is very good, muuuuch better than Ann or Rick for example. And I speak about things that I had in my own hands.
                    Last edited by Chant; 12-10-2009, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

None taken. Like I said, I had no evidence for that point, I was only putting together the comments of others (trusting them to be true) to make my own point. If the isolated quality issues have already been addressed, why is he moving production for next season onwards?
                      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                        SombreResplendence, no offense, but what you say about the quality of DD looks like second-hand thoughts. Quality issues are over, and were very isolated.
                        Given how many members of this forum had problems, and how many different garments they had problems with, I'm curious how you are so decisive here.

Now, I only own one piece of Damir Doma, and it's fine, so my single data point is pretty worthless. My impression is most certainly secondhand.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Silk
                          • Jan 2009

I have over 20 DD garments and have experienced no problems, which I can't say for other brands on here that don't seem to be called out for their quality control(If CCP falls apart "it is supposed to and is part of the intention") well it is easy to say that, or slap a label on that says " any flaws are considered part of the design and should not be considered defects" which some brands do as a cheap cop out. I just don't know about quality control problems for DD and I really think his quality is top notch as I've said many times.

Just because DD hasn't clearly established himself doesn't mean he can't produce a cheaper more accessible line. Most people can't afford or aren't going to spend $300 for a tee shirt so he is really isolating his potential clientele at the moment. From what I took from his explanation of Silent, he thinks he can bring his sense of style and versatile clothing to a larger audience that is used to buying watered down basics. I don't see a problem with him offering basics at more accessible prices to increase his audience and help people with slimmer budgets dress good. I think he wants to be able to experiment and evolve in his mainline, with Silent being the basics that continue from year to year with little to no change. Also, Damir doesn't seem to want to include basics like jeans in his mainline so having this second line might let him produce things we aren't used to seeing from him like some basic black jeans or more wearable outerwear. I'm all for it, and for now, plan on at least getting those black sneakers.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

It seems like quality incidents were isolated to SS08 (or was it FW08?).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stretcheroo
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Silk View Post
                              ... I'm all for it, and for now, plan on at least getting those black sneakers.
                              Now that this thread has returned to whence it began, I can say that I bought a pair of the DD reversed horse leather derbies with the pleated vamp (forwardforward) and they are VERY well made (and very comfortable).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎