• Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

H&M and Wal-Mart destroy unused clothing

A Clothing Clearance Where More Than Just the Prices Have Been Slashed

By JIM DWYER
    Published: January 5, 2010

In the bitter cold on Monday night, a man and woman picked apart a pyramid of clear trash bags, the discards of the HM clothing store that reigns in blazing plate-glass glory on 34th Street, just east of Sixth Avenue in Manhattan.

Cynthia Magnus with mutilated clothing she found on West 35th Street last month. She said she was appalled by the waste.

At the back entrance on 35th Street, awaiting trash haulers, were bags of garments that appear to have never been worn. And to make sure that they never would be worn or sold, someone had slashed most of them with box cutters or razors, a familiar sight outside H & M’s back door. The man and woman were there to salvage what had not been destroyed.

He worked quickly, never uttering a word. A bag was opened and eyed, and if it held something of promise, was tossed at the feet of the woman. She said her name was Pepa.

Were the clothes usually cut up before they were thrown out?

“A veces,” she said in Spanish. Sometimes.

She packed up a few items that had escaped the blade — a bright green T-shirt that said “Summer of Surf,” and a dark-blue hoodie in size 12, with a Divided label. The rest was returned to the pyramid.

It is winter. A third of the city is poor. And unworn clothing is being destroyed nightly.

A few doors down on 35th Street, hundreds of garments tagged for sale in Wal-Mart — hoodies and T-shirts and pants — were discovered in trash bags the week before Christmas, apparently dumped by a contractor for Wal-Mart that has space on the block.

Each piece of clothing had holes punched through it by a machine.

They were found by Cynthia Magnus, who attends classes at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York on Fifth Avenue and noticed the piles of discarded clothing as she walked to the subway station in Herald Square. She was aghast at the waste, and dragged some of the bags home to Brooklyn, hoping that someone would be willing to take on the job of patching the clothes and making them wearable.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, said the company normally donates all its unworn goods to charities, and would have to investigate why the items found on 35th Street were discarded.

During her walks down 35th Street, Ms. Magnus said, it is more common to find destroyed clothing in the H & M trash. On Dec. 7, during an early cold snap, she said, she saw about 20 bags filled with H & M clothing that had been cut up.

“Gloves with the fingers cut off,” Ms. Magnus said, reciting the inventory of ruined items. “Warm socks. Cute patent leather Mary Jane school shoes, maybe for fourth graders, with the instep cut up with a scissor. Men’s jackets, slashed across the body and the arms. The puffy fiber fill was coming out in big white cotton balls.” The jackets were tagged $59, $79 and $129.

This week, a manager in the H & M store on 34th Street said inquiries about its disposal practices had to be made to its United States headquarters. However, various officials did not respond to 10 inquiries made Tuesday by phone and e-mail.

Directly around the corner from H & M is a big collection point for New York Cares, which conducts an annual coat drive.

“We’d be glad to take unworn coats, and companies often send them to us,” said Colleen Farrell, a spokeswoman for New York Cares.

More than coats were tossed out. “The H & M thing was just ridiculous, not only clothing, but bags and bags of sturdy plastic hangers,” Ms. Magnus said. “I took a dozen of them. A girl can never have enough hangers.”

H & M, which is based in Sweden, has an executive in charge of corporate responsibility who leads the company’s sustainability efforts. On its Web site, H&M reports that to save paper, it has shrunk its shipping labels.

“How about all the solid waste generated by throwing away usable garments and plastic hangers?” Ms. Magnus asked in a letter to the executive, Ingrid Schullstrom. She volunteered to help H & M connect with a charity or agency in New York that could put the unsold items to better use than simply tossing them in the trash. So far, she said, she has gotten no response.

On Monday night, Pepa’s shopping bag held a few items. She pointed to her gray sweatpants. “From here,” she said.

How about coats?

“Maybe tomorrow,” she said.
    Last edited by Sombre; 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Would be interesting to see more on this. This evidence seems cursory, a store practice rather than a company-wide practice. Still, this is messed up.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Would be interesting to see more on this. This evidence seems cursory, a store practice rather than a company-wide practice. Still, this is messed up.
      Well, this is known to be an industry wide practice, not with every store/ brand but a lot more than you would like to think, and is done by really high end companies to control distribution and brand image. I remembers years ago it was a significant issue.......
      I am guessing it is less prevalent now than it once was though.....
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ronin
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

I'm not surprised, this sounds similar to supermarkets destroying food before throwing it away. Some companies have outlets to send unsold goods to, but companies like H&M couldn't afford it, people go there to buy cheap stuff already, what would they do if they found out they could get it even cheaper. They're already behind trends, so there would not be the trend factor to keep fashionistas buying full price. And even though their stuff is overpriced, it is not enough obvious that everybody claims it, if their clothing was sold discounted year round in specific outlets consummers might be more aware of it and simply stop going to the store. Some brands keep their clients even though they have outlets because being overpriced is part of their appeal, but H&M and Walmart are not made for conspicuous consumption. So the only other solution would be to give the clothing to associations, or sell it for a minor price at most. But then there would be the risk of people making private profits selling their clothing, or becoming the "hobo brand", which is never good for business. Stuff like that is truly appalling and disgusting, but I wonder what kind of measures could be taken to avoid it. Still, this kind of article will force companies to react, even though it may be only a formal response with no change in facts.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

that is pretty revolting..

I do understand that there could be a problem with simply giving the garments away in front of the store as this could be seen as hurting their business. But instead of cutting the clothing to pieces, the same effort could be put into removing the labels from the clothing and then sending them to outlets or charity.

same goes for food, if its given for free outside a supermarket, this would probably anger those who are paying full price for food and generate other problems for the store. but if its discreetly shipped to shelters etc., who gives a fuck?

its not like there is no solution to these sort of issues, it just depends on whether someone in charge cares.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

This is bad. Not as bad as the example of supermarkets destroying food, but still pretty bad.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• whitney
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              Well, this is known to be an industry wide practice, not with every store/ brand but a lot more than you would like to think, and is done by really high end companies to control distribution and brand image. I remembers years ago it was a significant issue.......
              I am guessing it is less prevalent now than it once was though.....
              pretty much

h&m turns over so much crap though, they should do a PR spin on this and say they'll donate a coat for every coat purchased in their store to the local homeless shelter..there's no way they're going to sell all the coats they have in stock anyways..
              you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Squeek
                • Jun 2009

I was told that the University of Texas Co-Op burned all their champion garb they ordered since they ended up losing the championship game. With those prints, they have less they can do with them. Regardless, truly a waste. But, more disappointed by the likes of H&M and Wal-mart by their choices.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

seems like theres a follow up:

H & M Says It Will Stop Destroying Unworn Clothing
                  By JIM DWYER

Cynthia Magnus with mutilated clothing that retailers discarded on West 35th Street.The clothing retailer H & M promised on Wednesday that it would stop the practice of destroying new, unworn clothing that it could not sell at its store in Herald Square, and would instead donate the garments to charities.

The practice was discovered by Cynthia Magnus, a graduate student at the City University of New York, who found bags of unworn but mutilated clothing that had been disposed of by H & M on West 35th Street. She also found bags of new Wal-Mart garments with holes punched through them.

After Ms. Magnus wrote to H & M’s headquarters in Sweden and got no response, she contacted The New York Times. More slashed clothing was found Monday evening on 35th Street and reported in the About New York column on Wednesday.

“It will not happen again,” said Nicole Christie, a spokeswoman for H & M in New York. “We are committed 100 percent to make sure this practice is not happening anywhere else, as it is not our standard practice.”

Ms. Christie said that H & M’s standard practice was to donate unworn clothing to aid organizations. She said that she did not know why the store on 34th Street was slashing the clothes, and that the company was checking to make sure that none of its other stores were doing it.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, said that she had been unable to learn why new clothing with the store’s tags had been destroyed, but she added that the company typically donated or recycled such items.

Among the alternatives to destroying unsold garments is the New York City Clothing Bank, which was set up by the city during the mayoralty of Edward I. Koch to accept unworn clothing and to protect the retailers from people who might use the donations to get store credit or undercut sales.

“I would welcome H & M, Wal-Mart and every enterprise that presently is destroying new clothing to call me immediately,” said Mary Lanning, chairwoman of the Clothing Bank. “We use a method of ‘defacing’ each garment that does not impair its wearability, but does remove any potential street value in the underground market. We operate a full clothing warehouse and distribution center right under their noses.”
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

dam thats crazy shit

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

I'm happy to hear it's not a company-wide practice. it's just extremely wasteful and insensitive to destroy something others could use. I know that the "big" labels used to do it, but I thought they had stopped when they realized they could still sell the clothing at outlet stores. It's a shame they still do.

The supermarkets might be a different story because donating food could be a legal liability for them if someone were to get sick from food they sell.
                      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        that is pretty revolting..

I do understand that there could be a problem with simply giving the garments away in front of the store as this could be seen as hurting their business. But instead of cutting the clothing to pieces, the same effort could be put into removing the labels from the clothing and then sending them to outlets or charity.

same goes for food, if its given for free outside a supermarket, this would probably anger those who are paying full price for food and generate other problems for the store. but if its discreetly shipped to shelters etc., who gives a fuck?

its not like there is no solution to these sort of issues, it just depends on whether someone in charge cares.
                        so true. its about making the conscious effort to take one small extra step to see it through, instead of taking the easy way out.

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                          The supermarkets might be a different story because donating food could be a legal liability for them if someone were to get sick from food they sell.
                          food banks like city harvest have strict guidelines on what can be donated and how food is packed and stored.

clothing is one thing, but throwing out good food is the biggest waste of all..

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                            • Sep 2009

I'm never buying crap again. But I've said that before......................so much crap, so little time, I had an anxiety attack at Barney's yesterday.................
                            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                              I had an anxiety attack at Barney's yesterday.................
                              Oh dear, wish I was there to capture the moment.
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎