• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Masnada

Ladies, I came across this young Italian label at Pitti W precollection in Florence. I was utterly impressed by the quality of the fabrics and the cuts. I thought it was a really beautiful line. I will ask them for images, but here is the website meanwhile.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Glad you like it. The stuff they had for presentation was really gorgeous.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• btbam
      • Nov 2008

really impressed would love to handle. Thanks Faust.
      Never End, Australia.
      http://www.neverend.com.au
      General Contact: Info@neverend.com.au
      Urgent contact: Joseph@neverend.com.au
      Phone: +61 421 406 272

Comment

• tricotineacetat
        • Aug 2009

Seriously, what's with all the New Age-yness in fashion coming up recently in lines like these or Lost&Found? Seems like you can either find sequined, barely-there 80ies trash party dresses with people on the opposite end of the taste spectrum or clothes that look straight out of the wardrobe of those elder ladies in their 60ies that used to love Miyake in the 80ies. Thanks, but I wouldn't want either one of them - Give me some good old, unfussy, streamlined sexyness instead, please. Seems as if that notion got lost when Helmut Lang quit the scene.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I don't know what you are bitching about - I saw this stuff in person and it's streamlined and elegant.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tricotineacetat
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I don't know what you are bitching about - I saw this stuff in person and it's streamlined and elegant.
            I've actually seen this in a store in Berlin maybe a year ago and it wasn't really exciting - I'd say, pretty much on par with Yohji's Coming Soon license collection, made by Sinv, the same people that also produce See by Chloé and McQ.

Other than that, it's a simple observatation that I don't find this kind of fashion very appealing anymore, and I find it a very untimely moment for this style to come back in such a literal copy/paste way from old Y's or Comme, since even the old customers of Yohji and Comme who are now in their 50ies and 60ies have moved on from that look of the 80ies. Maybe it feels fresh in the states where people might not have been as strongly exposed to the Japanese designers in the eighties, but here in Germany, there's a whole market of these kind of collections, often terribly unimaginative, tapping into exactly this aesthetic - if you want, feel free to look at designers Anett Röstel or Rundholz.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ Sounds like you had some preconceived notions that you wanted to vent about, and somehow picked this thread to shit on.

I don't know what you saw a year ago - but I know what I saw two weeks ago, and it was excellent - on par with Form D'Expression and Marc Le Bihan.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ronin
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

Thanks for sharing Faust, it's always good to discover a new womenswear designer. I could not picture myself wearing most of the collection, nevertheless I find it globally interesting. Their F/W 09 collection features a sleeker and maybe more conventional silhouette I can more easily relate to (not the whole of it though, but most outfits have the right level of detail and texture contrast I'm looking for). A few garments really caught my eye, including the picture JoniF already quoted. I appreciate the attention they seem to pay to the choice of fabrics.
                I'd love to check the clothing in person, it's hard to judge from pictures especially when fabrics play such an important part (maybe if I wear a ninja outfit I can sneak into the womenswear Tranoi )

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

The fabrics are fantastic, Japanese cotton, patterned wool, etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• delphine
                    • Sep 2009

You really should let people have their opinion without chewing them out. And please don't give us the "it wasn't constructive criticism" mess. Can't we say "it's not exciting" and accept that we have different tastes occasionally? Or does everything you like need to be appreciated by the entire community.

The fabrics may be nice and all but what I see on the website doesn't do anything for me and there's nothing I like well enough to wear. Is that okay? Or am I going to be reprimanded?

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for you posting this! It's always nice to look at something new. It's just sad to see dissent shut down so recklessly.

Comment

i trust faust on the fabrics. I spotted a GORGEOUS fabric i've fondled before that i saw in a forme déxpression coat. it's angora dreadlocks on one side partly woven into a gauzy inside.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                        • Aug 2009

I'm afraid such comparisons wouldn't make it any better (for me) and I guess it would be best to leave it that this kind of womenswear aesthetic isn't my cup of tea, as I guess has clearly surfaced and respect that there are different taste levels out there, even at SZ where it's maybe a little more homogenic of an artistic consense than is at TFS. And yes, I would have probably said exactly the same, would anyone bring up discussions on other brands I was mentioning before.

Besides that, I am however having difficulties to follow the argumentation why it would be positive to describe a collection by putting it (stylistically) next to other people's work, while someone like Kazuyuki Kumagai's oeuvre is being criticized for having stylistic resemblances to other designers. I wouldn't even go as far as to say that there are no separate Masnada pieces I could like, it's just the overall aesthetic feel that I find very untimely, uniform and without progression to what I've seen and sold for many years.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

It's alright. I just thought I could bring something new to the forum, something that I was genuinely impressed by and to see it shut down right away is not a very positive experience. Regardless, the garments from the new season I saw were outstanding.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DHC
                            • Jul 2007

We all look at clothing very differently and there is nothing wrong with that. I respect and even celebrate your point of view tricotineacetat, but the styling, the varying shades and movement of black on contrasting textures of the above posted look sits just fine with me.

Thanks Faust!
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• delphine
                              • Sep 2009

It's alright. I just thought I could bring something new to the forum, something that I was genuinely impressed by and to see it shut down right away is not a very positive experience. Regardless, the garments from the new season I saw were outstanding.
                              Yeah, that's completely understandable.
                              I do really appreciate you posting and although it's not quite something I can get into I'm really glad to see new things and don't think it's value is lost by it's being harshly criticized.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎