• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

Damir Doma interview

excerpted from the Feb/March issue of CITY

Can you tell me a bit about your design process, from concept to completion?
    Basically my concept and my philosophy is ongoing, which means that I never stop creating new material. While I work on one season, I already know what I want to improve and change for next season. The biggest part of my work is the conceptual period and the selection of my materials. This is the base of each collection and that's why I take all the time I need to build a really strong base. Once this is done the job is actually quite easy and quick.

Your clothing is differnt in that you use zippers and drawstrings--but not buttons. Also your shirts have no collars and you don't use trim. Can you tell me more about this?
    I want my clothes to be very pure and raw at the same time. I'm trying to avoid using zippers and buttons if they're not really needed. I'm focusing on the shape and the volume of the pieces. Sometimes I feel that a zipper is breaking the beauty of the piece but sometimes it's just needed.

You've got a very large collection. Do you do everything yourself?
    Up until now I was doing the whole collection myself, but since I'm preparing my first women's line now and since we started our new line called Silent I have to change my way of working a little bit. Obviously nobody would be able to manage all this work all alone so I have two new assistants since October who work on Damir Doma and two more who work on Silent.

Thought all would enjoy.
  • mononon
    • Sep 2009

the interviewer doesn't know what he/she's talking about. there are many damir doma pieces with buttons and the dress shirts have collars?
    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

/\ I don't think it was an indictment...but more an observation. Doma's response seems to agree: buttons where needed, but not as a default.

Comment

• mononon
        • Sep 2009

yeah, i totally understand that damir chooses to only use buttons when completely necessary, but the interviewer basically says he doesn't use them. on another note, i look forward to seeing his new collection hitting stores!
        calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

No worries, soon you will read a real article on Damir. Personally, I am tired of all these snippets. Gutter journalism...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

seems pretty clear that the interviewer has no clue about his work, but is trying to draw conclusions based on a few pictures or something. no collars? he has done classic collars on button ups, stand collars on coats, lapels on blazers etc.. and while there might be some use of strings, a large part of the buttons you'd see on conventional clothing are present in many of his pieces - shirts, coats, blazers and pants all have had buttons.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎