• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Scoute. - Julius | Tatsuro Horikawa

Avant-garde author William S. Burroughs created “Interzone” to represent a metaphorical, stateless area loosely based on post war Tangier, which became a haven for criminals, artists, drug smugglers and tax-evading tycoons due to it’s falling between various rules and laws. The head-quarters of Tatsuro Horikawa, the mastermind behind infamous Japanese clothing phenomenon Julius, seems to occupy a similarly ambiguous place.

Located somewhere in-between various well-known areas such as big city Shinjuku, shopping paradise Shibuya and trend central Harajuku, Sendagaya is hard to classify and the Julius HQ even harder to find. The Atelier is a concrete bunker, whose entrance can only be found hidden behind tight rows of black, high-powered motorbikes and the designers own “Batmobile” lookalike BMW, which he uses for inspirational runs around the city and to connect him to his factory-like Industrial Art Space on it’s outskirts. Once down the steep stairs, one can enter a concrete warren of black clad disciples all intensely engaged in various aspects of disseminating the Julius Aesthetic into the outside environment. It looks more like an anarchist sect or religious cult than a fashion movement, and in
    fact, “fashion” is not really a word that Tatsuro Horikawa cares much about. In the space there is original Horikawa designed metal furniture and several of his own bronze art pieces and paintings as well as giant prints from the latest MA shoot. It is here, that he oversees every aspect of the creation of his collections, from the coating on the denim to the music mixed specially for the cat-walk and the pictures for the look-book. Everything is done in-house and much of it, for example the photography and styling, personally by the designer and his assistants.

The man himself is also difficult to track down. Doing much of his designing very early in the morning and finding much of his inspiration very late at night, early evening is the time he spends in production meetings and testing out new designs. In fact it soon becomes apparent that the designer and his staff are usually dressed head to toe in prototypes from future collections as well as his own archive, resulting in pieces on the Paris runway which have already been road-tested to the limit. When in residence, surrounded by staff, clothed totally in black, covered in esoteric tattouage and with his trade-mark intense gaze, he is instantly recognisable. One might say that his soft spoken voice and shy friendly manner come as somewhat of a welcome surprise.

continue reading
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • Aleks
    • Feb 2009

just to let you know that the continue reading link doesn't work

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

Recently there seems to have been a slew of similar “dark” labels and designers, some Japanese, some American and more recently some Europeans. One of the things that seem to unite them is the use of draping, something that until recently could usually be found mostly on women’s clothing.

As much as I try not to pay much attention to what others are doing, I think that there is indeed a fundamental difference and I think that is a very important one. As you mentioned “draping” comes from a classical, historic tradition and is usually associated with a feminine, elegant look. I think that this can be seen in the designs of most of the labels you are referring to. Julius does include design which could on first glance conform to this aesthetic. However, I think my design is coming from a very different place and I can sum it up in one word - damage.

When I create a painting, sculpture or item of clothing i am trying to externalize a feeling that I have inside of me and often what I feel inside are very mixed dark emotions; pain, frustration and anger at society. This comes out in the clothing as damage to the structure and to the fabric. I hate the image of conventional beauty and when I see something looking too perfect, I like to attack it and this results in what people see as drape, which is actually a dragging and distortion of the material upon the body of the wearer. The clothes actually have to be well made and high quality because of the punishment that they receive. When I style a photo shoot I really like to drag, twist and manipulate the clothes into new shapes and attitudes. Just like people, I think that this punishment and distress is often the best way to expose the soul hidden beneath.
      This interview was extremely interesting and I am glad I took the time to read all of it. The explanation of 'damage' makes me look at his clothing on a whole new perspective. The interview also makes me want to watch 'Akira' again. Such an epic anime, I recommend everybody to watch it even if you're not into the type of animation.

Comment

• jcotteri
        • Jun 2008

Apophenia

Thankyou Arto and Thanks Marc

The article/interview with Tatsuro was wonderful, I especially liked the inclusion of not only an introduction but also an epilogue.
        Last edited by jcotteri; 02-04-2010, 04:35 AM.
        WTB: This

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Great article indeed.
          Like the idea, about the "warrior look", that the garment does not express the inner self (common cliché), but has to work like a protection of it.

Typo ? "without knowing just how deep are roots go".
          Should be "our", shouldn't it ?

Comment

• croatoan
            • Jul 2007

When I was younger and active in the underground rave scene, of course we experienced may problems with authorities,

I am happy to reach as many sympathetic people as I can with what we are trying to do. This is the reason to [[for?]] having a runway show...

Article is great. Glad to finally see something which captures Horikawa and thus the true spirit of his designs.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

thanks, I'm hopeless with proof reading no matter how many times I do it
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• DRRRK
                • Aug 2009

As soon as I reveived the Email on Tuesday I started reading it and read it again yesterday. Apart from the few mistakes (I can't complain because I make mistakes in my posts quite frequently) the article is a great read which strengthens my belief that Julius is the most fitting label for myself.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

great work guys! fantastic article

Comment

• ronin
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2009

Amazing article. Really, the more I read about Julius, the more I want to learn about them.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                      Amazing article. Really, the more I read about Julius, the more I want to learn about them.
                      well, you learn more about them while reading about them, isn't it a good combination?

Comment

• delirium
                        • Sep 2008

just reiterating what everyone said - great article. probably one of my favorite scoute articles

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

I knew he was into Enki Bilal.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                            Great article indeed.
                            Like the idea, about the "warrior look", that the garment does not express the inner self (common cliché), but has to work like a protection of it.
                            I like this idea too. I don't think this is purely superficial either, since it serves as a psychological barrier of sorts so it's an extension of the self...like what YY once said about his clothes, and black clothes, offering the message for people to leave the wearer alone.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• .thejass.
                              • Oct 2008

scoute.

thanks marc and arto:
                              great interview, i look forward to seeing more of tasuro's work of fine art, his black paintings are terrific. there is a reason why they put a map diagram on their business card - the JULIUS flagship store is hard to find, but once you hit those stairs, it's like finding the pot of gold!
                              http://soundcloud.com/thejass

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎