• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Jil Sander Navy

Jil Sander Navy

"Fans of Jil Sander who aren't fans of its prices, lend us your ears! Set to appear in stores in January '11, the lower-priced collection, Jil Sander Navy, will feature prices that start around $322 for a shirt to jackets and coats that will go for as high as $3,895—not exactly cheap, per se, but it sure beats the crazy-town prices from the Jil Sander proper label. The aesthetic of Navy will also have a bit more of a "dynamic attitude" (read: less anal-retentive librarian, more neat-dressing architect who wears prints!), and will rely on lightweight jerseys, knits, dresses, skirts, jeans, pants, and outerwear, along with handbags, footwear, and belts. Now we can get all the impeccability of Raf Simon's Jil Sander, but with a splash of humor? We're glad the brand's finally loosening their collar!"
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)
  • Macro
    • Apr 2008

So, it's not at subdivision price-wise... those prices are on par with mainline. Is this Raf's attempt at adding a little 'Jeremy Scott' to the label? The man's contract is almost up at Jil... are these HIS decisions?
    I'm sorry, but the whole subdivision of any company leaves me torn up inside. I know that the emergence of the contemporary market has created pressure for designers in the luxury market to play ball and reach out to a growing demographic, and I know they are good decisions for business if they play out. I can't, however, shake the feeling that these decisions can contribute to the slow erosion of a marketplace once ripe with artisans, now doomed to a fate of machines and slavery, quantity and celebrity. A bit dramatic, but I think I have some support on this forum. bleh.
    every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Yeah, fuck that shit. I love Ann. No diffusion lines. Hope she keeps it that way.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

im reservin judgement till i see some fits , tho i cant say im pleased to hear this rly . i mean , i love jilsander even when theres a collection that i dont love there are always pieces in store that i want , always . its the austerity that i love bout it ; idk if more "relaxed" clothes from this line is wat id have any interest in . it sounds kinda sell outish to me and i dislike sayin that , but the idea of "now i can buy jilsander cos theres a cheaper line" is lame . jilsander is jilsander cos of the fits/austerity/unique textiles used and while i def dont agree with the pricing of much of the garments ( i dont give a shit if thse trousers are made from somethin that no one else in tha world will have cept other jilsander clients ) i dont wanna see those elements taken away in order to sell inexpensive clothes .

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          fuck that shit.
          basically.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Yeah, fuck that shit. I love Ann. No diffusion lines. Hope she keeps it that way.
            Didn't she just start Ann Demeulemeester White? (I can't remember the actual name) but I could see this being more of an 'off runway' brand along those lines as opposed to a diffusion line.

To me the new Jil Sander has more of a 'body concious' severity to it than the older stuff did - to say its more 'relaxed' doesn't necessarily mean that it's losing that severity it just may be moving to another sort (Yohji can often be quite severe I find, for instance, although fade and others may disagree).

As always, we'll have to see the clothing, but arguing for it in concept is more me playing devil's advocate as I certainly don't have high hopes.

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
              Didn't she just start Ann Demeulemeester White? (I can't remember the actual name) but I could see this being more of an 'off runway' brand along those lines as opposed to a diffusion line.
              Ann Demeulemeester Carte Blanche, you mean? That's an archive line of revitalized classics. Careful, Faust may take that one personally ;)
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Collection Blanche is not a diffusion line, as Macro correctly points out. Its quality often trumps the mainline.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

That's all I'm saying (maybe I worded it poorly) - it's an 'off runway' line as opposed to diffusion. Ann chose to do it by offering archival pieces while Sander could offer new designs without sacrificing quality (rather sacrificing the cachet of the 'mainline' Jil Sander name) to reach a broader audience. Companies often sell the same thing to two different markets at two different prices and I'm suggesting that there's a broader design universe that the line can explore by offering things that fit within the brand but not necessarily on the runway.

Aa always, we'll have to see.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Well, this looks like the outright betrayal of the Jil Sander brand. But since she already betrayed it with +J and is not involved in it anyway, who cares.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

+J is a piece of crap, can't blame her though, folks gotta eat.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Cathy Horyn from NYT weighs in, asking, diplomatically, the most obvious question - who the fuck needs this?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                          • Jan 2007

For what it's worth, Jil Sander (mens at least) already kind of had two separate lines with Tailor Made & regular, and judging by the price point this will hardly be aimed at Barney's co-op. Those pieces in the NYT article don't really speak in favor of the line, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the stuff in person.

A lot of 'high tier' designers seem to be making second lines that aren't actually cheap at all, same with Damir Doma for example.
                          Originally posted by jogu
                          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Addicted
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                            For what it's worth, Jil Sander (mens at least) already kind of had two separate lines with Tailor Made & regular, and judging by the price point this will hardly be aimed at Barney's co-op. Those pieces in the NYT article don't really speak in favor of the line, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the stuff in person.

A lot of 'high tier' designers seem to be making second lines that aren't actually cheap at all, same with Damir Doma for example.
                            That's were it starts though, didn't armani start doing that decades ago?

mainline, then down to collezoni. fast forward today and you have so many damn diffusion lines that the mainline stuff isn't even viewed as "inaccessible" anymore

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

Here we go again

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡