X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • routineriot
    • Apr 2009

Rick Owens Furniture show,Berlin

The Californian fashion designer Rick Owens cultivates a bit of a bad boy goth rocker look that is visually somewhere between Iggy Pop and John Galliano: His clothes designs are sculptural and strong - with asymmetrical shapes and lots of black leather - and are eminently wearable. Since moving to Paris in 2003 he has built up a considerable fashion following but hasn't left it there: Owens also designs furniture - rather attractive furniture - that is now on show for the first time in Berlin thanks to another multi-talent, the publisher Angelika Taschen.

Taschen has known Owens and his partner Michèle Lamy since they all lived in Los Angeles nearly a decade ago and included Owens' striking Parisian work- and living space in her 2009 book 'New Paris Interiors'. An avid collector of both art and design with a sharp eye for special show-stoppers, Taschen was so taken with Owen's furniture that she decided to bring it to her home town for a visit. 'I think Rick Owens and Berlin are a perfect match in many ways', she says, 'complexity, edginess and intensity - no mainstream and no superficial prettiness'.

Rick Owens originally custom-designed most of his furniture for his own use in his Paris headquarters. The forms are as sculptural as his clothing but have a monolithic weight to them. They are made predominantly from raw plywood, resin and fibreglass but several pieces could just as easily be carved in stone. He has (almost) completely suppressed any temptation to add decorative gothic touches beyond the rather poetic use of a pair of antlers serving as asymmetric wings to a pair of chairs. He even, rather decently, covers up a standard lamp in cashmere. Owens is clearly no dilettante when it comes to furniture - these are strong pieces and it is not without reason that he is now represented in this field by one of the worlds most respected design galleries: Jousse Entreprise.

April 30th to May 2nd is Gallery Weekend in Berlin, where the spring season kicks off with 40 openings in 40 galleries but art fans will be hitting town earlier to take in the opening of a major show by Olafur Eliasson at the Martin Gropius Bau, and another by Andreas Gursky at Spruth Magers. The Rick Owens' 'To Pop A Boner' show at Apartment, one of the city's most respected alternative fashion emporia at Alexanderplatz, will be a good place to start at and then you can continue to thread your way through the rest of the galleries throughout the week.

From wallpaper

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

^ what the fuck?
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
      ^ what the fuck?
      whenever you curse I know it has to be really bad............
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        whenever you curse I know it has to be really bad............
        hahaha, nah i've just been on surgery for too long. Even the nurses swear like sailors
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• shotgunmessenger
          • May 2010

Excited to check this out; he's opening right now in NY at Salon 94. Will try and get some photos up.

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

Damn..this is gone already? Heading to Berlin on Tuesday.

Comment

• kanne
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
              Damn..this is gone already? Heading to Berlin on Tuesday.
              Yes it's already ended.
              But you didn't really miss anything. As I already said, it was quite disappointing. The gallery in which it was shown is rather small, they displayed maybe 5 (very basic) pieces...
              Not comparable to the exhibitions in other cities, I guess.

Have fun in Berlin though!

Comment

• shotgunmessenger
                • May 2010

Let me second kanne---

Utterly disappointed. Scarce in terms of pieces and I felt like I had walked into a church. Much too austere.

edit:

He achieves his intention, I suppose, I read somewhere in his interview about the collection that Owens appreciates being raised Catholic for offering him a template work ethic amongst other things. So maybe my criticism's unwarranted.

Pavane for a Dead Princess is a nice allusion---Ravel---but I don't really see the musicality that otherwise would have been a viable referent.

Processional fine, but I didn't come to the show to feel like I going to be embalmed.
                Last edited by shotgunmessenger; 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• shotgunmessenger
                  • May 2010

All from Salon 94.

Comment

• FunkyFrenchy
                    • Feb 2009

any ideas of the price range?

Comment

• bless you bleed
                      • Jan 2010

If that bed sold for $2XX,XXX, you will get the sense of how much the other things will cost.

Comment

• samueljoseph8809
                        • Jan 2010

ugh i just love the fur lined chair and that marble bed, i just wish i was the british guy with that £86.4m lottery ticket

Comment

• bestial
                          • Jun 2008

we'll see if this will trigger the DIY-gene in our members, "post your creations"-thread will be flooded!

black and white day bed looks nice, and fun to see him play a little bit more with the antlers.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FunkyFrenchy View Post
                            any ideas of the price range?
                            Somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3 human limbs.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• 951SoCal
                              • May 2010

i like the marble bed

and a few other pieces, some of the other shit looks like he rebuilt old furniture from a cabin with spare ikea pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎