X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arcane
    • Jul 2008

Washed leather

So, this might be a seriously stupid question but I feel I have to ask anyway as searching the intrawebs don't provide me with any good answers.

I want to make something out of washed leather but as of now I haven't been able to track anything good down. This brings me to the question if I can make the washed leather on my own? I suppose there is some kind of chemical treatment involved and that the leather isn't actually washed? Could I do this successful in my living room with some experimentation?

If anyone knows a better/alternate way (to achive a similar result) or a good place to get nice hides in Berlin I'm open to suggestions.

/A
    Last edited by Arcane; 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM.
    Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

treatments probably vary a lot, but you can actually just wash or rinse leather with water to get, well, a somewhat washed look. the result depends on how the hide is dyed and treated, I've done it with some black calf leather and it ended up being a bit more matte and faded looking. this is the most simple and dumbed down method and the only one I know, there are probably some chemical etc treatments as well though.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Arcane
      • Jul 2008

Well, I am just under the impression that soaking/washing/rinsing the leather in water will destroy it as all the oils are washed out? It would be exciting to do some chem treatment but with no info on how to handle it or where to start it will probably be close to impossible.

All sources would be appreciated

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

some leathers will become dead stiff, but others will remain pretty much the same. for example rick's leathers can (in theory) be washed. I suppose it depends entirely on the treatment it has gone through.

I would guess that most regularly dyed and treated leathers (hides, for example) should withstand water, whereas more specially treated ones (like Poell's) will have the cuir boulli effect and become super rigid.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• 951SoCal
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
          Well, I am just under the impression that soaking/washing/rinsing the leather in water will destroy it as all the oils are washed out? It would be exciting to do some chem treatment but with no info on how to handle it or where to start it will probably be close to impossible.

All sources would be appreciated
          nah leather is okay at getting wet maybe distress it or get raw hide ?

modern leather is just a plastic coating to color the material anyway

Comment

• shotgunmessenger
            • May 2010

This link from Blackbird in Seattle had Peter Nguyen of Leon as a guest blogger talking about the process of washing his Geller Cossack Leather from SS09. While I'd much rather just have the end result, (I haven't found anyone who owns the piece), I think it gives the best idea to date of how to wash your leather(s) at home.

Last edited by lowrey; 05-18-2010, 01:53 AM. Reason: just copy past the link

Comment

• Arcane
              • Jul 2008

^Thanks a bunch mate, that did clear some things up.

I also found this link which if you only use the first two steps might work together with the above washing technique to give an interesting result.

I think I'll play around with it and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys and if someone have additional sources that would be much appreciated too.

Comment

• kanne
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                If anyone knows a better/alternate way (to achive a similar result) or a good place to get nice hides in Berlin I'm open to suggestions.
                If you've found a place to buy neat leather around here, please let me know.

And good luck with your project!

Comment

• KikHomme
                  • May 2010

I'm interested in something similar to this for when I start getting into working with leather. If what your trying works it would be awsome if you posted pics and a little step by step.

Comment

• Arcane
                    • Jul 2008

Lol, two days and serious amount of views...

The project is still in the sketching phase meaning I haven't decided on anything, meaning I haven't made a pattern yet and clearly no prototypes.

I think that I will start experimenting with the leather soon though as it will probably take some time. I will most certainly take pictures of the experiments and the results.

Pm'ed you kanne.

Comment

• Nemesis_4
                      • Nov 2009

Any updates on this yet? Super interested on how this turns out.... I took a look at Blackbird's guide to "washing your leather jacket" and I'm highly considering going through the process with my (just copped) Geller Cadet Leather 08, as it is large (mostly just long) on me

- Should I go through with it? Is it really going to shrink up enough?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎