X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Istanbul?

I'm going to Istanbul for a gig on June 11th. I've never been there, and honestly never really even thought about going there before this. Can anyone offer any suggestions for... everything?
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

all i can say is = wow.
    you lucky lucky man.
    i've been dreaming of two places - turkey and dubai.
    have fun.

Comment

• een
      • Sep 2006

Istanbul is a fantastic city - an amazing mix of European and Asian cultures in an amazing geographic setting as well. The thing to remember is that the city is huge - distances that seem close on the map are often kilometers apart.

The architecture is magnificent - the mosques of Sultanahmet are renowned - Aya Sofia, Sultanahmet Camii (Blue Mosque), Suleymaniye Camii. Otherwise Sultanahmet is heavily touristic - I wouldn't recommend staying there unless you don't really have a choice.
      More interesting, in terms of city culture and nightlife are the areas north - Galata, Beyoglu and Taksim (though Taksim can be a bit of a zoo).

The main commercial and cultural street through this area is Istiklal Caddesi - a huge pedestrian corridor that runs north from Tunel to Taksim Square.

Last autumn we spent a week here, and rented an apartment at the top of Galata Hill - had a beautiful view south to the Bosphorus and Golden Horn. In general, apartment rentals are much more interesting and a much better deal than hotels, which can get rather expensive (basically the equivalent of Western European prices) PM me if you want further details.

Food in Istanbul is fantastic, fresh fish from the Bosphorus, and wonderful choices of mezze (small plates) as well as the ubiquitous kebap.
      For lunch I really enjoyed Balik Lokantasi near the Karaköy fish market, Balıkçı Sabahattin is also a good choice (albeit more expensive) if you are in Sultanahmet.
      For dinner, the mezze/raki cafes of Sofyali Sokak (off Istiklal Cadesi) are a great choice - Sofyali 9 is probably the best, Refik is quite good as well.

I also recommend taking the ferry to Kadiköy and dining at Cya Sofrasi - fantastic range of food and well priced. Kadiköy is cool as well, younger, hipper and less posh than Beyoglu, great bars and cafes.
      Since you are a DJ, I am guessing you will be pretty hooked into the nightlife, but I can also recommend Leb-I-Derya (the older one on Kumbaracı yokuşu), nice bar, ok food, spectacular view of the Bosphorus, and if the weather is good, an open terrace.
      We didn't really do any shopping on our trip, wasn't really a priority. I would be surprised if there are any boutiques that cater to the SZ aesthetic - locals feel free to correct me.
      Hope this is an ok start...

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
        • Jan 2010

Istanbul really has to be seen with your own eyes. I have a couple of pictures in the Bulletin thread. Like the above has said, food is fantastic and there are a wide selection of souks, mosques, and buildings to visit.

I went a few years back and I really would like to go again. Take time to stroll around the block and you might end up seeng some interesting treats.
        MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Mike, extend your stay! It's an awesome city from what I hear. The food is amazing. Of course it's better if you know a local.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
            • Nov 2007

Yeah I'm expecting the locals that are bringing me there are going to show me around.

All I know is that I'm staying here: www.pointhotel.com
            And I'm DJing at a place called Lucca.

Thanks for all of the info, and I welcome more if anyone has some, it's been quite helpful!

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Oh ALSO, before I forget:

where 2 kop ccp?

Comment

• kofi3159
                • Feb 2009

Just Been there..
                Stayed at the old part of Istanbul
                Totally agree with Mike on the quality of the food been A+ class..
                Miss it already

Comment

• jcotteri
                  • Jun 2008

where to cop dj gig in istanbul?
                  WTB: This

Comment

• TadaoAndo
                    • Jun 2010

Two smaller but exquisite mosques are well worth checking out: the Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque and the Rustem Pasha Mosque. Both feature the finest 16th century Iznik tiles. Also check out the Topkapi Palace and the Bazaar.

Comment

• een
                      • Sep 2006

^Agreed. Also recommend the Atik Valide Mosque in Üsküdar, Sinan's last major work.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                        • Feb 2010

check out the CONAN restaurant on the istiklal (there are two of them) for the BEYTI KEBAB... damn, you´ll love that!

Comment

• MR27
                          • Oct 2009

istanbul

go to uskudar to the fishmarket there are the best traditionell turkish restaurant the name is kanat.My family comes from Istanbul

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎