X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eat me
    • May 2009

Industrie Mag

Hey, did anyone get the chance to get their hands on this one? It's made up to be a big deal so it would be interesting to see how it holds up, because I personally struggle to find even one remotely interesting fashion mag today, apart from industrial ones and WeAr.

http://industriemagazine.com/
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

A preview here. Doesn't look like anything I'd be interested in.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mnml crmnl
      • Dec 2009

i quite enjoyed the photography and a few off the random excerpts--needed more pictures of women though..
      minimal black/white layout was nice, as was the paper.

anybody else have any thoughts?

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

Faust, yes, I saw that earlier. I guess I'm just grasping at straws here. Fashion magazines in their current form are as good as dead.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I disagree. I think good magazines will remain relevant - no iPad can replace a sense of holding a physical magazine.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eat me
            • May 2009

Sure, they key here is good (and also I'm talking about fashion mags). Other than DANSK (even that, hit & miss), WeAr and industrial ones, there are none of interest - same mindless and shallow articles about some celeb/random rich person/model, same brands that pay for ads, which leads to same brands in editorials, same ethics and point of view (either pretentious glamour and polish, VOGUE & Co, or insincere hippie/indie rubbish, a la LOVE).

Any suggestions on good titles?

Comment

the only magazine i've been impressed by is encens. mostly because everything in there is very much upp my alley, but also because of the coherence from number to number, and the very strong mantra the editors are proclaiming.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

We had this conversation elsewhere already. Encens was good first few times around but is drowning in sameness.

Eat_me, I don't really know what's good these days. I have one issue of WeAr (got it as a gift) and I am not impressed (and WTF is with the $55 price tag?). The only one I look at carefully is Another Magazine, both womens and mens. I think Jefferson Hack, contrary to his last name, is doing a sophisticated job. Several others have good issues occasionally. i-D is still sometimes good. Purple has too many boobs for my taste (nothing against boobs, but it's a cheap way to sell), but it has some good content sometimes as well. Fantastic Man is not bad sometimes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

i've only read three numbers of encens, so i wouldn't know, but it sounds reasonable. i'm not a huge magazine fan. books are better. something more permanent. i don't think magazines goes very well with the SZ manifesto ;) do as CCP, a number a year.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

Another is good. I also quite like Fantastic Man and Man About Town.
                    Inventory is a good pulication, although not of interest to most here obviously.
                    Incidentally, Arena Hommo Plus finally made it to the "gay interest" top shelf in my local newsagent. Big willie count in the current issue.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      Another is good. I also quite like Fantastic Man and Man About Town.
                      Inventory is a good pulication, although not of interest to most here obviously.
                      Incidentally, Arena Hommo Plus finally made it to the "gay interest" top shelf in my local newsagent. Big willie count in the current issue.
                      As you predicted, no less!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• FunkyFrenchy
                        • Feb 2009

Encens #25 wasn't that good, but the other numbers were great.
                        I also love Self Service and METAL.

Comment

• eat me
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          We had this conversation elsewhere already. Encens was good first few times around but is drowning in sameness.

Eat_me, I don't really know what's good these days. I have one issue of WeAr (got it as a gift) and I am not impressed (and WTF is with the $55 price tag?). The only one I look at carefully is Another Magazine, both womens and mens. I think Jefferson Hack, contrary to his last name, is doing a sophisticated job. Several others have good issues occasionally. i-D is still sometimes good. Purple has too many boobs for my taste (nothing against boobs, but it's a cheap way to sell), but it has some good content sometimes as well. Fantastic Man is not bad sometimes.
                          I guess WeAr appeals to me as a visual source of inspiration/prettynes. I like Bloom for the same reason.

And with others, i-D, Another etc., it's just too tiring to shift through them, and their constant sameness and alikeness in search of something meaningful, so in the end I haven't been bothered with them that much, and so were many of the young fashion generation that I know of (who actually do something, not "fashionistas").

That's why I think web is gaining such a momentum against superficial magazine content. I'm not going to buy a mag full of ads and gossip to see a half-decent photoshoot, or read 1 article, I can find it online. Plus there is so much more interesting, creative and useful content on the web (this forum as just one example), that is categorized+organized (very important), that mainstream print is no longer of relevance to me, and I don't see it changing. Hedi knows it, and Nick Knight knows it, and Horyn too - web is the future, edited obscure print is the future, powerhouse productions too, perhaps (Vogue, GQ), but not the enormous amount of mediocre fashion mags that suddenly sprung out of nowhere during boom years.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ Now please tell that to the rest of the fashion industry. Print still holds overwhelming sway over it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ronin
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2009

The last fashion magazine I bought is an issue of the japanese magazine High Fashion. My japanese was insufficient to understand all the articles, but the core ones are translated to english. I can't find any website for the magazine, all I can say is I was interested in most of the content, pictures were of good quality, I don't remember an overwhelming number of ads (there probably were some, I've just grown immune to it in my teen years), overall I found it both enjoyable and interesting. For example the issue had a main article about the manufacturing of Hermès scarves, an interview of Jun Takahashi, a photoshoot of Julius FW10. I'll probably buy another issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎