-Bowl of Water
    -3oz deer leather
    -Box cutter
    -Shears
    -Ruler
    -Waxed cotton thread
    -Push Pin
    -Sewing Needle

I wanted to make a belt for my gf that would fit in her wardrobe, I was inspired by the slide buckles used on many of Ann's and Rick's items. Here are the sketched ideas:

I started by chopping up a nylon bag strap for the hardwear, then heat treating the pieces with a minitorch and dunking them in water until this finish was achieved.

Then with the scraps from the nylon strap I made a mockup (only enough material to wrap around my thigh).

Here is the deer hide:

So to cut the hide into straps I used a box cutter and a plate of glass. The weight of the glass and friction of the leather on the glass holds the leather in place while cutting.

I cut two 5cm wide x 80 cm long straps and 2 40cm straps.

I used one of the shorter straps to make a leather mock up.

More once the design is finalized...
    WTB/WTT: Lots of Things
  • Who?
    • Aug 2007

The design on the right side of the drawing was chosen. I started by making the center piece, a buckle on each end with 2 simple stitches. Purposefully this piece is reverse leather. I used a push pin in place of a leather punch to created the holes for the cotton thread.

Then i finished each end of the smooth leather back piece of the belt and cut a slit for the excess length of the belt to be tucked through.

This is how each side looks when the pieces come together. The purpose of making the center front piece reverse and the back piece smooth is so once the pieces are linked together the underside of the smooth leather is nearest the reverse center piece creating a continuity to the texture.

Here it is worn. I will have to modify it to be the correct length for her but that will be very simple.

Last edited by Who?; 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

Great !
      Waiting for the folllowing steps.
      Will remove my post if you need more space.

Comment

• asho
        • Nov 2007

looks cool, but be aware that without a lining and reinforcement tape the leather will stretch and in doing so loose width, but this will only really happen if the belt is worn tight.

Comment

• Who?
          • Aug 2007

Thanks Christian and thank you for the suggestion Asho, you are right this leather does stretch quite a bit, the mock-up stretched nearly 1/2 inch after wearing it tight for about 10 mins. I will be making another version in a heavier weight and denser leather, to minimize the stretch without lining it.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Great work J,
            I like it, its also interesting that I had a similar idea for a belt, now I cant do it, because I'm gonna hear the fashion police saying I'm knocking you off..............
            I'll send you a PM about other matters soon
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Who?
              • Aug 2007

Lol please make one, I'd like to see how much better it looks in the hands of someone with skills and experience.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Who? View Post
                Lol please make one, I'd like to see how much better it looks in the hands of someone with skills and experience.
                I probably will,
                what I had in mind was not the sliding buckle though, but one with two buckles on that would sit on each side of of the body when worn...........
                Gimme till this weekend to do it, Im Gonna be pretty busy this week with all the work in the Studio.
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎