X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heirloom
    • Apr 2024

Help finding good quality, non sheer, drapy jersey

I need to find good quality, non sheer, drapy jersey, preferably a pure rayon or perhaps rayon cotton mix. I need to be able to tea/coffee dye it, so no synthetic mixes unless it's already in cream or nude. I bought a tshirt-jersey which is way too dry and stiff for draping with, and I need to make this skirt soon. any leads would be greatly appreciated.
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

I could help you if you needed this in the US,
    i dont know how it would work with you in Europe.

if you think we can work something out let me know, as i should be able to get it for you if that's the case.............
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

thanks! i'll pm you asap.

Comment

• andrew
        • Sep 2009

My t-shirt fabric of choice is a viscose that i pick up in the west end of london for about £4 a metre. more substantial than silk jersey but similar drape and survives teh washing machine, limited colour range though or are you after substantial quantities?

Comment

• HWith
          • May 2007

Sorry to break in (Heirloom tell me to gtfo if you want), but Andrew, can you post the adress to that place? I'm gonna have a mtm tshirt made at my tailor and I'd like some quality materials.

Comment

i'm just after a few metres. maybe 5? but I need it for a skirt, not for a tshirt, so it can't be too thin, but the drape needs to be fine. it's virtually impossible to find anything remotely good in stockholm

Comment

• andrew
              • Sep 2009

I think it has weight enough for a skirt, i will try to email you an image of some of the tops i made from it if i can find my camera when i get in tonight.

Re the location, Shepherds Bush in West London (Hammersmith line to Goldhawk Road) is the place to find basic fabrics for decent prices, you have to mine through lots of crap stuff though.

Comment

• HWith
                • May 2007

Okay, thanks. Can you recommend a good fabrics retailer? I will only be in London for a week, so i don't really wanna spend my time digging for the good stuff. I'd rather pay a little more and have it lined up for me. Would be cool if there was a place in Hackney, as I'm staying there. :-)

Comment

• andrew
                  • Sep 2009

London's a bit hit and miss really, there are plenty of places but its always a case of digging with fabric shops in my experience.

Near Hackney: Theres a place called crescent trading just off brick lane that is basically a surplus warehouse, normally lower quality but cheap as chips, also theres pongees silks on Hoxton Sq. which is basically the office for their mill but i think you can just walk in and order from there swatch books.

otherwise theres two main areas.
                  Theres Berwich St. just around the corner from oxford circus which has a dozen or so shops, higher quality, substantially higher price tags.

Depending on what you want i would always opt for Goldhawk road, there are about 8 shops and its not like you'll find only one good roll per store, its just there will be a lot of synthetic jersey, and there will be poly wools next to the cashmere blends. Also they are a favourite of students so if you are buying more than 5 metres theres room to haggle.

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

Comment

• Yan
                    • Mar 2008

[QUOTE=andrew;244946]London's a bit hit and miss really, there are plenty of places but its always a case of digging with fabric shops in my experience.

Near Hackney: Theres a place called crescent trading just off brick lane that is basically a surplus warehouse, normally lower quality but cheap as chips, also theres pongees silks on Hoxton Sq. which is basically the office for their mill but i think you can just walk in and order from there swatch books.

otherwise theres two main areas.
                    Theres Berwich St. just around the corner from oxford circus which has a dozen or so shops, higher quality, substantially higher price tags.

Depending on what you want i would always opt for Goldhawk road, there are about 8 shops and its not like you'll find only one good roll per store, its just there will be a lot of synthetic jersey, and there will be poly wools next to the cashmere blends. Also they are a favourite of students so if you are buying more than 5 metres theres room to haggle.

I find the prices on Berwick Street to be obscene. I paid £20m for an acceptable stretch wool and this was after haggling. Unfortunately I was left with no choice as I was on a deadline. Another option is Empees on Commercial Road in Tottenham. Their warehouse is as large as your average out of town supermarket and their prices are very keen. I paid £2.80m for a nice red shangtung silk.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎