X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DANSER
    • Nov 2008

boring?

is it just me or is this whole dark thing getting boring.

you know- boris, julius etc

this look seems to be dominating high st stores like all saints and topman who have just come out of the london / indie / band / skinny jeans look

do we need a move on??

this is just my opinion so please dont take wrong way

any thoughts?
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

great 60th post

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
      great 60th post

move on, danser, no one is holding your hand. i, for one, wear clothes not because i want to be ahead of the pack, but because i have a connection with them that goes deeper than mere appearance. i am already hoarse from repeating the same thing over and over. if you ask a question like this, you are a fashionista and you don't belong here. goodbye and good luck.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
        rekoner
        • Feb 2009

I don't think anyone would take it in the 'wrong way' but I can see why you might get ridiculed for the comment. Style is all about doing your own personal thing.
        Why would you feel obligated to anything in particular? And because SZ members have some similar tastes and things in common, what makes you think we move as some pack of dogs?

I've been wearing basically the same thing for the past 20 years. The materials and cuts are better, the design a bit more aesthetically streamlined and I can afford to enjoy higher end pieces. But I have a photo of myself taken in the winter of 1991 of me wearing a black t-shirt, jeans and a pair of combat boots, which is basically what I wore today.

So if you're concerned about the implications of things becoming popular or losing their edge, it's going to be really tough for you to be yourself.
        Originally posted by mizzar
        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• casem
          • Sep 2006

I don't think it's all that silly of a question. Yes, the manifesto of this forum is against trends and we all believe we just buy what we like, but nobody is immune to what's going on around them; following new currents as old ones reach saturation. A quick browse through the history of WAYWT is all the proof you need. The outfits, silhouettes, designers posted as well as what garners praise or not has changed noticeably over time. And should consistency really be the most revered aspect of one's style?
          music

Comment

• beardown
            rekoner
            • Feb 2009

Actually, there's a lot to be said for consistency when you know what you like and it works for you.

I still listen to Joy Division, The Cure and The Smiths all the time too. I must be stuck in a wormhole.

There's nothing wrong with finding yourself when you're a kid and I think that's what we see quite a bit of on here with people who come and go.

Personal evolution is a great thing as long as it the result of introspection, soul searching and learning. It's not so great when it's the result of trends, pop culture and peer pressure.
            Originally posted by mizzar
            Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

well said beardown.

Comment

• TarHeart
                • Jun 2009

I think a thread like this is a nice idea. Sometime's it's good when people have the courage, or stupidity, to oppose. This way we can discuss why we are on the other side. Why we are not a part of the "fashion pack".

Here is my explanation (basically what everyone already stated). I dislike people who don't stay true to themselves, people who thinks that fashion is a game that changes with trends. And yes, for some, fashion is a game of trends.

But I see no point in that. That is just letting yourself go, to be a puppet of the industry. You have no personality, no character. You can wear what you want, but it doesn't express anything other than someone else's opinion, and taste.

I think it's nice with people who have find their own style, and also a part of their personality. A lot of people in here have. I admire those people. It doesn't say that your style have stagnated. Style can still evolve within the preferences, of course.

And I know you could oppose to SZ as well. Aren't we all just a big fashion pack, but just another, a little smaller version of the wider fashion pack? I like to think no. Everyone in here is different from the other, somehow, we are all individuals that share a similar taste. But we are not identical.

So no, I'm not getting bored. It is a part of who I am. That is the whole reason why I'm here.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                  • Aug 2009

I never changed much about the way I dress and even though I do tend to fulfill many prejudices about a particular type of monochrome, mostly black sense of dressing, I don't happen to buy from the breed of designers that are mostly being discussed on SZ.

What I find displeasing with a lot of those designers is that there seems to be a clichéed tendency towards an almost arts & crafts-y aesthetic and a rugged, rustic look that I never liked much, such as with most of the people coming out of the Carpe Diem school, Paul Harnden or someone Like Boris Bidjan Saberi. I personally always tended towards a more sleek, streamlined, somewhat classical sense of sophistication that probably makes it evident just why I would personally rather tend to pull from old Helmut, Kostas and Hedi, some bits of Rick and Ann that work outside both designer's context and reliable staple suppliers like Acne or J+, the new Jil Sander venture (at the end of the day, what's more important question is not 'who made it?' but the 'what is it?'... in that regard, I am rather unfaithful to pick from whoever makes what I find fits my style).

I think it's hypocritical and easy to stick a label of continuity on to the general consense of moody deconstruction and I find that this path does in fact feel beaten and thus, does not allow for much originality for any new designer willing to follow in the footsteps of what the Belgian and Japanese designers pioneered in the early 1980ies. Many other designers do have a very recognizable, continuous style that I will just as well recognize, even though it wouldn't necessarily be for myself.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

are they honest errors though?

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                      • Aug 2009

It probably depends on what sort of expression you are looking for in terms of sophistication - if you like a rather earthed, organic appearance, it makes sense to hang washed linen garments in natural hues on hooks in cellar-like environments and if someone like Helmut Lang, early Hedi Slimane or Raf Simons at Jil Sander design collections with a decidedly moderist vision, you will likely see that reflected in their choice of material and presentation format, likely in a white cube, 'art house' atmosphere.
                      Last edited by tricotineacetat; 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• andrew
                        • Sep 2009

I think i will throw in my two cents as i seem to be coming to this forum from a (vaguely) different angle as i a. cant afford a single thing the designers discussed here make (seriously, i recently decided that a Silent basic t was too much of an extravagance) and b. my personal style has changed a lot over the last decade as have my tastes in all things, though that is not to say that all the old tastes have gone.

I would wear (and indeed have made my own versions or borrowed details for my own wardrobe) from many of the designers discussed here where as others i simply do not grasp the appeal of, for example i find very little aesthetically pleasing about just about anything that MA+ does, its just not my taste. I am interested to know however peoples thoughts on the background, the processes, the progression and even the fit of labels that i wouldnt wear even if i could, and that is part of where this forum appeals to me so much.

I do sometimes wish that rick, ann et al would do something to show these knock off labels whats what, but why should they, they have worked hard to build a clientele that they cater for, and they shouldnt just alienate them by changing completely, and at the same time there should be a way that people who cant afford rick owens sometimes ridiculous prices they can buy a cheaper, shitter version from all saints (who by the by have the worst quality of manufacture i think i have ever seen).

Even if there werent knockoffs on the market, its not as if rick owens isnt a lifestyle brand these days anyway, theres still no reason to stop wearing what you like, just because someone you dont relate to likes the same thing as you.

now i've reread this it doesnt seem that relevent but its taken so long to type i think i'll just post it anyway. Also well done to Danser in one respect at least, for starting a discussion rather than just "i like / i dont like / where can i buy."

Comment

• andrew
                          • Sep 2009

So to summarise as it were:

1. just because we talk about what we have in common here doesnt mean that everybodies wardrobe is just the julius runway show.

2. Boring doesnt mean shouldnt be worn otherwise why would tshirts and jeans have lasted so long

3. Beacuse something is discussed doesnt mean that it is worn (or even liked) by everyone

4. Someone else wearing something is not a reason not to wear something.

but

seeking something new and off kilter from your usual dress sense (or music taste, or any taste for that matter) should always be embraced, even if the results are that you stay with what you always have before.

Comment

• christianef
                            • Feb 2009

this site is growing, as faust has mentioned entire stores have opened to cater to this market and industry professionals are exploiting lots of the information here for profit. i never really liked julius or boris and the internet killed the whole privy to anything aspect of culture so i assume like Justice a lot of this aesthetic will come as fast as it goes. but dark is pretty vague and ann demeulemeester is timeless.

Comment

• CUTUP
                              • Sep 2009

To be honest ( and to echo some of the above statments), I have always felt as though this site is more about people who share a common interest/astethic and were drawn together via the internet, then a group of trend seekers.

ie People come here because they like an upper eschelon of clothing and discussion related to said clothing, and would like to shun the typical bandwagon jumping that occurs with trends and mainstream fashion. ( a la the sites main credo)

I am sure the typical member here couldnt care less whether or not they feel their look is "getting old", as they wear what they like regardless.

That being said, there is a certain period of mourning when the style you prefer begins to creep into the mainstream.Your look was more personal before, you held it in your hand and shunned people who tried to gaze at it.

Now its out in the open for all to see, and people may be purchasing said items solely to follow a trend, and not because they like the clothing.

I think thats the most disheartening part. When you truly love what you wear and people begin to mimick it solely to be "hip", you almost take it as a personal insult to yourt taste and sensibilities IMO
                              Originally posted by marco-von
                              this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎