• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

SZ Cultural Calendar

I want us to have a cultural calendar pinned it on top of the culture sub forum. I would like us to make a better effort at sharing cultural events, such as exhibits, talks, concerts, etc. Wherever you are, if you see something worth sharing with fellow SZers, post it here.

Please include relevant info - city, type of event, flyer image, relevant links, etc.

If you are a member but also happen to be a promoter of any sort, feel free to use this but only if you think it fits the StyleZeitgeist mold. Events deemed impertinent may be deleted.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
      • Jan 2013

This is a gonna be a good thread, glad you started this.

L'ÉTAT DU CIEL
      FEBRUARY 14 – SEPTEMBER 7, 2014
      PALAIS DE TOKYO, PARIS

Saw some nice visuals.

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• psurdiev
        • Dec 2012

this might be interesting for all the parisians

http://www.grandpalais.fr/en/event/art-paris-art-fair-2

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ Can you post a flyer and other info directly into the post? It only takes a second.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Dries Van Noten - Inspirations
            March 1st-August 31st 2014
            Musée des arts décoratifs - Paris

The work of the belgian fashion designer, Dries Van Noten, is featured at the musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris. This is the very first exhibition devoted to the artist’s work. As Dries Van Noten takes us on an intimate journey into his artistic universe, he reveals the singularity of his creative process which he illustrates with his various and numerous sources of inspiration. This event is an eye opening experience, where Dries Van Noten’s men’s and women’s collections are put together with iconic pieces from the museum’s fashion and textile collection. The show also includes photographs and videos, film clips, musical references, as well as artworks by renowned artists, from public and private collections, that have triggered the designer’s imagination throughout his life and career.

For this exhibition, Dries Van Noten has brought together elements which point to other sources of inspiration, such as the Renaissance ‘chambers of wonder’ or ‘curiosity cabinets’ in which collectors amassed memorabilia and souvenirs. He has selected anonymous 19th century pieces and works by emblematic couturiers such as Elsa Schiaparelli and Christian Dior ans 1980s designers, to evoke intimate subject matters such as youth, the archetype, ambiguity and passion, while highlighting his ‘signature’ themes.

Thanks to exceptional loans, masterpieces by important artists such as Bronzino, Kees Van Dongen, Yves Klein, Victor Vasarely, Francis Bacon, Elizabeth Peyton and Damien Hirst are on display in each section of the show. Major films, including Stanley Kubrick’s Clockwork Orange and Jane Campion’s The Piano, are also part of the event.

The exhibition is the result of Dries Van Noten’s close collaboration with the Arts Decoratifs Museum, which has prompted him to use several 19th century textile patterns in his 2014 men’s ans women’s Spring/Summer ready-to-wear collections that he unveiled in Paris in June and September 2013.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Van Gogh / Artaud. The Man Suicided by Society
              11 March - 6 July 2014
              Musée d'Orsay - Paris

A few days before the opening of a van Gogh exhibition in Paris in 1947, gallery owner Pierre Loeb suggested that Antonin Artaud (1896-1948) write about the painter. Challenging the thesis of alienation, Artaud was determined to show how van Gogh’s exceptional lucidity made lesser minds uncomfortable.
              Wishing to prevent him from uttering certain "intolerable truths", those who were disturbed by his painting drove him to suicide.

Based on the categories and the unusual designations put forward by Artaud in Van Gogh, the Man Suicided by Society, the exhibition will comprise some forty paintings, a selection of van Gogh's drawings and letters, together with graphic works by the poet-illustrator.

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

For Toronto
                There's toys at the Design eXchaNge (DXN) in Toronto at the moment. There was a talk this week on collecting that was pretty neat. Curators' tour is on April 28th and May 12th at 630PM.

Still at the DXN, Daan Roosegaarde is giving a talk on May 8th, 630PM.

The rise of sneaker culture at the Bata shoes museum is on until the 1st of June.

Nothing is on at the UofT school of architecture but here's an archive of previous talks.

If you're into electronic music it's the last weekend for FOUNDRY.

There's two talks at Rotman with Leigh Gallagher on suburbs and Toronto tomorrow, Friday, April 4th.

Comment

• zen dog
                  • Jan 2014

Established in 1979, we are the only artist-founded museum in Los Angeles. We are dedicated to collecting and exhibiting contemporary art.

Los Angeles: I highly recommend the Mike Kelly exhibition at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA. If you are already used to video installations and contemporary art here is a chance to see someone who makes installations look easy. I've suffered through enough bad ones,especially video, to appreciate these even more.

To those of you who are intimidated by or don't think museums have much to offer you, give this a shot. Kelly's work has a beauty and accessibility that doesn't compromise its intelligence. In fact, I'd say it allows an access into it that going with friends or a date would make a great experience for discussion. (Its loud enough that you can pretend it is too hard to talk if you need the date to go that way.) Kelly did music as well, including Sonic Youth, and headphones are provided.

I can talk more but my main goal is to get you to experience the work of an artist who sadly left this world too soon. I'll write more for anyone who needs convincing or wants to discuss, but right now, just go,please

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

New York

Our friend, the model Paul Boche in Die Hamletmaschine this weekend.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• curiouscharles
                      • Jan 2008

Paul's an actor? Very cool!

That play is unbelievable - participated in one interpretation myself, and seen a few others. One of my favourite takes on one of my absolute favourite plays.

Always a fan of Muller's interpretations of Shakespeare, and was lucky enough to witness the first English translation & coinciding production of his Macbeth: Nach Shakespeare some two [or three?] years ago in Vancouver.

I certainly would not miss this were I a resident of NYC.

-

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yes, it was very good. Paul was great - yes, he is an aspiring actor. It was very intense. My only complaint is that the music was a bit too loud, overshadowing the monologues.

And the drummer MUST BE on SZ, since he was all in Rick and Poell. Come out of the shadows, sir!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• __6
                          • Jul 2012

I'm guessing the loudness would be my fault... Аншлаг-аншлаг:) I didnt realize you came for the show, should have said hi.

Now looking for the new place for production.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Yes, it was very good. Paul was great - yes, he is an aspiring actor. It was very intense. My only complaint is that the music was a bit too loud, overshadowing the monologues.

And the drummer MUST BE on SZ, since he was all in Rick and Poell. Come out of the shadows, sir!

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

Not my favorite of his work, but Zhang Huan his work is incredible, I am fan of his sculptures, but this exhibition are some paintings so far I know.

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• flicers
                              • Sep 2009

Paris - Tattooists, Tattooed - musée du Quai Branly
                              6 may 2014 - 18 october 2015

During the first half of the 20th century, tattooing developed within marginal circles and remained a somewhat clandestine signal until being over-exposed by the media. Today, publicity and fashion take inspiration from these codes. This geographical and antinomian approach is today disappearing: in traditional societies, tattooing has lost its ritual exclusivity; in urban societies and in the "westernised" lifestyle, its marginal character is fading and it is becoming a relatively common bodily ornament.

University researchers have already examined the ethnological and anthropological values of tattooing, before exploring the sociological landscape and psychological meanings. Universities have recently been studying the popularisation of the practice in the urban environment, which establishes the body as a venue for self-affirmation. But the artistic field and that of contemporary history remain to be explored. These are the domains explored by the exhibition, which offers a new illumination on tattooing. In addition to the history of tattooing and its strong anthropological roots, it also emphasises the artistic nature of the practice, exchanges between tattooists from across the world and the emergency of syncretic styles.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎