• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Archives discussion and feedback

for clarity, the discussion on the Garment Archives has been moved to a separate thread from the rules and instructions
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Archives discussion and feedback

Dear SZers,

Welcome to The Garment Archives Project. As many of you know, there is often a dearth of clear images of the garments out there, especially from those designers who operated in the pre-Internet era. I would like us to change this. Many of us have wonderful garments in our closets, many of them rare. I want us to make a collective effort to share images of them, as well as information pertaining to their provenance. This project will allow us to create something that is unprecedented on the Internet and hitherto has been mostly reserved or outsourced to fashion departments of museums – a comprehensive garment archive. I ask all of you to contribute in this collective effort, and I encourage you to go far and wide in terms of designers you want to see here. Let’s make this something we can be proud of!

Forum Structure and Posting Guidelines:

• Each designer will have his/her own thread. The threads will have to be created by one of the moderators, because of the specific nature of the posts. If you don’t see a specific designer thread, please PM me, lowrey, or Avantster, and we will add it. Anyone can create individual posts.
    • The nature of the posts is structured. Please take care to answer as many questions the posting form asks you – such as sex, season/year, fabric composition, country of manufacture, etc.
    • Be detailed in your description.
    • In order to prevent any loss of images, I have turned on attachments – you can now attach photos to your posts.
    • Please make an effort to take clear pictures, and no more than 4 photos per garment. Front and back are mandatory, and maybe 1 or 2 detail shots, if you feel they are important.
    • Please do not post any comments. This forum is for information/archival purposes only.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
      • Oct 2010

AHHHHHHH!

[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

Thank you so much for taking my suggestion seriously and for taking the necessary time to organize the SZ archives Faust and others...this is going to be epic.

I think, given the efforts of the collective, we can make this a resource that will draw more quality participants to SZ. More importantly, it will be fantastic to see and study designs I've only had "access" to when curators have chosen to grace us with exhibits, seemingly every decade or so.

Further, I won't even have to travel to Japan to see the exhibits (though I would not complain if I were forced to.)

Thanks again. I'm ready to jump out of my office chair just thinking about what this will become.

MBD
      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

For some reason I am having trouble turning on the attachments. Standby.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• christianef
          • Feb 2009

re: Forum Structure and Posting Guidelines
          aside from a clear picture are there rules for how the garment should be shot - alone on a hanger, as more of a fit picture with a human wearing the garment, CHRIS style, either or...?

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

Nice! Thanks for this. I'll post some things after I relocate.
            THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
              • Oct 2010

re: forum net-iquette,

I wanted to clarify with Faust and others...as I thought more about the forum this evening, it occurred to me that I would find it easier to part with things were I able to archive my more "important" garments on an external server before passing them on. In fact, I would find it deeply comforting (god, I feel pathetic) if I could look up my garments any time after selling.

I don't have any intentions to sell most of what I will archive, but I wanted to make sure that archiving, then selling at some point in what could be the near-future would not be an egregious broach of forum etiquette.

But let's be clear about this: that is not to say that I would want, in any instance, for this to become a personal shopping thread for Russian/Chinese/fill-in-the-blanks bazillionaires.

In any case, should we bother to make a policy regarding quick archive-sells so that it does not become a WTS clusterf•ck? I don't have a solution for this. At the very least, I hope that we are careful to use our discretion.

MBD/Miss Manners

Comment

• formateriam
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by christianef
                re: Forum Structure and Posting Guidelines
                aside from a clear picture are there rules for how the garment should be shot - alone on a hanger, as more of a fit picture with a human wearing the garment, CHRIS style, either or...?
                I understand the direction you're going with this however specifying too many restrictions will limit the amount of contributions submitted. Since a majority of the clothing by these designers are very dark and often matte, the details of the type of material or how it has been processed can easily be lost unless the submitter knows a thing or two about product or fashion photography. I do think that "clear" needs to be elaborated on.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

imo clearly poor or low quality images shouldn't be posted altogether. We will revise the rules a bit once this is up and running.

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo
                  re: forum net-iquette,

I wanted to clarify with Faust and others...as I thought more about the forum this evening, it occurred to me that I would find it easier to part with things were I able to archive my more "important" garments on an external server before passing them on. In fact, I would find it deeply comforting (god, I feel pathetic) if I could look up my garments any time after selling.

I don't have any intentions to sell most of what I will archive, but I wanted to make sure that archiving, then selling at some point in what could be the near-future would not be an egregious broach of forum etiquette.

But let's be clear about this: that is not to say that I would want, in any instance, for this to become a personal shopping thread for Russian/Chinese/fill-in-the-blanks bazillionaires.

In any case, should we bother to make a policy regarding quick archive-sells so that it does not become a WTS clusterf•ck? I don't have a solution for this. At the very least, I hope that we are careful to use our discretion.

MBD/Miss Manners
                  I barely got to the end of this post, but do you mean that we should prevent people from using the archives to offer to buy something?
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I want photos not to be on a human body, but garments in themselves. This is about the garment, it's not another WAYWT. If you have a mannequin and think the garment will benefit from being on a dress form, you can use it. We want only clear/high quality photos please.

Lowrey: MBD means that she has stuff that she should sell, but is holding on to it for sentimental reasons, but once there will be a record of those garments, she will be able to let them go.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

Sorry guys,

4 am email + natural tendencies + ESL = me

I am indeed saying what Faust has noted. However, there is a *genuine concern* embedded in my note. I think it should be emphasized that the archive should not be intended as "the most awesome classified forum in the world."

I don't think there is anyway to regulate this. Fine. Of course people buy and sell things in their collections to make room for more. That cannot be helped because most of us have to sell in order to buy.

The point? Let's all agree, however, not to abuse it as such.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

All, please bear with us why we figure out the attachments situation.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

mbd you're projecting. :)

it's pretty clear that this is an archive not a classifieds thread.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• ironman
                            • Apr 2008

what a great idea; i look forward to participating in this!

Faust, since this is an archive, would it be acceptable to include images of items one previously owned?

edit: you guys are probably still fixing it, but from what i can see right now, i cannot see lowrey's images in the MA+ thread and Faust your image in the CDiem thread looks like this to me http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...faust_test.jpg

Comment

• magic
                              • Feb 2009

can/are our images copyrighted? i am not sure if it sound necessary but its like a project at SZ to me and i just dont want mine/our hard works end up in other forum classified...
                              Focusing on object details

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎