Sruli Recht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sruli Recht

I'm not sure if anyone in here has heard of this icelandic designer Sruli Recht. I work as his webmaster, and just thought that some people in here might like his designs. I find his designs particularly interesting because of the unconventional materials he's using, and the outof the box tailoring.
    His shoecollection is coming from production now, and I'm getting the "Messenger Veins" which I have been waiting for anxiously.

shoes are here -->http://www.srulirecht.com/index.php/shoes-2008/

Originally posted by merz
    heh, i don't know if i'd call him an icelandic designer ;P

i think there was a thread on him around here at some point, with a lot of photographs - at least there was such a thread somewhere. I own a pair of his boots.
    haha, He's being called icelandic by the media at least :) He's been around, both in Israel, South Africa and Australia, but he's settled down in Reykjavik. I searched for it before i started one in case he did already have one.

Cool! which boots do you own? How are they?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• asho
      • Nov 2007

I have been looking at this designer for a while too. I think he may also have some link to Australia. I would love to see some of his work in person, though the chance has not yet come my way.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

this is pretty cool. thanks for posting.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asho
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by merz
          he's an oz national.
          thought so. Where did you pick up your boots?

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

The garments shown their definitely display interesting ideas but more often than not looks a little unfinished - like costume clothing, they don't really stand up to intense scrutiny in my opinion.
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• klangspiel
              • Apr 2007

he's from melbourne. graduated from rmit.
              pity no one here stocks his pieces.

would love to get my hands on this wood-stained leather glove/armwarmer which is part of the "corrective brace" ensemble featured here but no luck...

Last edited by klangspiel; 10-07-2008, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• jcotteri
                • Jun 2008

RMIT.. thats interesting.. please post more pics
                WTB: This

Comment

He's quite new in the game, and has only set up production for his shoe collection so far (another one is coming) so the things you see on his website are mostly one off's.

Now, if there are things you'd like to get, you can always mail him and order directly from the site, like the scarves or the shoes. He also has a really cool belt and a knuckle buster umbrella (Umbuster) for sale at this website

Servo2000, In person, his garments are often more than polished, like architecture, or clay, sandpapered to perfection. He does have a history in costume clothing, which shows, but I don't think that it's a bad thing. If you see his sketches you get what he means. Most of his garments on his website are pretty old by now though, from when he went to university in 2002.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-07-2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Klangspiel - If you want, You could write to Sruli and see if he can remake it for you :)

Comment

• deizaru
                      • Sep 2008

seems like it'd be a bit difficult to do everything out of Iceland, but never been there so what do i know. i'd rock those black boots on certain occasions and the second jacket is pretty sick. Heirloom, do you know the materials used in that piece?

i do here what Servo is saying. perhaps it's a fabric issue - some of the patterns are pretty nice i wonder what they would be like done in a more textured material

Comment

that second jacket with spraypainting and hole in the back is Belgian painters linen canvas.

As I said, most of these items are made several years ago when Sruli was still at university, and I believe his judgement on using the right material for the right construction has improved. The top picture with the triple hooded cape is his most recent garment outof the ones displayed up there and is from 2006. I also believe that these garments somewhat come alive when put on a living person.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

i really like this,
                          one of the things that get me bored about fashion is sometimes the lack or newness (or maybe it is my own failure to seek out the new)
                          but there are some really interesting ideas here
                          I agree with servo about the quality, but i wouldnt pay much attention to that........... at least not now, from my own experiences, it is easier to improve the quality of clothing (better pattern makers and factories) than to develop new ideas, And often when a designer is working with limited resources he or she dont always have the means for high quality production facilities
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

cant blame him for not using interesting materials at least, anyone who didn't look at his website, care to guess what this is:

hint: its the only part of a whale that is tannable

some more things which I found interesting:

thought the hood on his cape was petty awesome

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• jcotteri
                              • Jun 2008

when i thoroughly browsed the website i was immediately reminded of Throup..

some of the pieces have the most fantastic detailing.. I am wondering if he was here for a while does any store in Australia have any of the articles of clothing for sale.. Is he going to make make a full line? or is he staying small? Will he answer my email if i send one off?
                              WTB: This

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎