Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the breaks
    • Sep 2007

I can get that on SuFu. The really out-there stuff is all SZ ;)
    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• the breaks
      • Sep 2007

Also it makes the thread a lot more fun to read.
      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

wow this blew up overnight!

I wanted to write a bunch after the "meat & potatoes" posting but I think a lot of the other members clarified it. Sexual orientation has zero to do with it as I've always looked at it from an aesthetical viewpoint. Aesthetics are inherently subjective (which is why "No Fat Chicks" t-shirts exist) so it's a matter of personal preference and taste.

I like seeing people experiment with clothes moreso than I like seeing people "play" with them. Testing different lines and pieces to me is a process of self-evolution and development whereas people who "play" with clothes come off as unnatural and false. It used to be entertaining to look at it... and it still is but entertaining in a non-appreciative way.

The difference between Heirloom and iSuck is that to me, Heirloom is not playing with clothes IMO. He has settled on what he likes and presents a very consistent silhouette and penchant. It's certainly not my cup of tea but we are all not the same nor would I want us to be. I may not adhere to the long, flowy, drapey look myself but others may. Agree to disagree.

As for the other photos of iSuck posted, the first is a suit. It fits him, it's uber WASPy but it's fine. I personally thought he looked the most natural in the jeans and hoodie shots really. When he "plays" with his clothes it comes across as completely disingenuous. Everything looks out of place and sure you can have a "fuck you I'll wear what I want to" attitude about it but that certainly doesn't mean you don't look a fool.

In regards to those that dress outlandishly (like the fashion show crew with the 12 year old boy in head to toe Hourani) I don't find those types of people interesting at all. I can all but guarantee that I have nothing to talk to them about.

I certainly hope that doesn't make me 'conservative' but over the last 10 years of being into this fashion thing I've found that there is an inverse correlation between how "out there" you dress and what you have to say. In that sense, the clothes certainly don't make the man/woman.
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
          • Mar 2009

A,once again i agree with you on almost all of the points you brought about.
          But the world we live in ,people are automatically judged by what they wear/how they look.And so it has been since the beginning of time i presume.
          To say that you would not find somebody interesting or have anything to talk about with them, just by what they wear,is a tad narrow minded in my opinion.
          I agree on the part with the fashion crew quote,as all they would say is ya ya fabulous i love kylie minougue and drag queens,electro and Gareth is god.

I have a wide spectrum of friends,some dress outlandishly,some just live in sweat suits,others in ed hardy,audijier bullshit.
          This does not mean they do not have anything interesting so say.

In most cases even the most eccentric dressers from my group of friends,have the most interesting things to say in terms of creative subjects,and those who seem to wear more "conservative" clothing have also many an interesting subject to discuss.
          But the clothes that they wear perfectly reflects their personality.They do not need clothing to create a faux persona or seem interesting. It is just them,and the clothes reflect who they are, wether it be eccentric,laid back,or gaudy!
          Ofcourse all this mayhem that has ensued regarding iSuck has brought about quite an interesting discussion. So if anything lets be thankful for that.
          Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM.
          merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

reminded me of the "harder to make friends" thread. i could give two shits what my friends wear. some of the most interesting and witty people I've ever met dress in dockers and seinfeld sweaters.

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

I don't think Albert was saying that just because someone wears very outlandish clothes they would necessarily be empty vessels; just that they are, in his experience, more likely to be than not. I have a degree of sympathy with this view.

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

i have often found the old "still waters run deep" thing to be bullshit too. when i was heavily into the goth scene , these kids would try to maintain an air of mystery and look as outlandish as possible; there was often little there. is pretty funny to go to a show where the fans are geared out to the umpteenth level and the band on stage, like VNV Nation's Ronan Harris, is wearing a black t and jeans.

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                    • Mar 2009

As i had said johnny,i agree with most of his points.
                    But maybe it was just the way that sentence was versed.(obviously it was directed purely at the fashion crew group).
                    And as he rightly said the clothes do not make the man/woman.
                    If you put me and all my friends together it will be a schmorgesboard
                    of styles,personalities and interests. Thats how i like it.

And mr Kunk has put things back on track! I like the doorway! aswell a sthe colour of your jacket i may add!
                    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Awesome that you dropped some VNV nation reference Kunk :)

Shye, Johnny was on point. It's certainly a generalization and back in Boston my friends dressed all over the place but nothing considered "extreme". Like attracts like more or less. Even with the smorgasbord (which is of course the best!) you all have some level of common interest :)

I admit that I've caught myself judging based on looks and several times I've had to rescind my initial opinion after talking with them as i'm sure many of us have experienced in the past. It's a tough habit to break especially in the aesthetics driven western world. Perhaps recognizing it is the first step towards at least trying to correct it.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                        • Mar 2009

Touche A.
                        Obviously we all talk from personal experience.For me growing up in london ive become accustomed to seeing all kinds of crazy shit in terms of dress,and ofcourse we have all been guilty of judging this way.Through the years you tend to judge less purely on somebodies exterior,and kinda of become numb to it in a way.
                        Always enjoy your post's and you are always fair in what you say. Good man.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

i like to see discussion like this on sz and i don't think it derails the thread at all. just sayin. isucks fit is just the catalyst, not the real matter of discussion.

but for me, what i take from it all is that personality goes a LONG way. using the isuck example, the people most interested in defending his look(s) are the people that know him personally. i know nothing about the guy so i can't say one way or the other but from the outside looking in, if all you see are his waywt fits, i would think "well, what he lacks in identity, self esteem and personal style he makes up for in conspicuous consumption, label stacking and exorbitant spending." however, if i knew the guy, i might think he's just a funny guy that has made a fun hobby out of playing dress up. thats all. you'd see him in the skirt suit and laugh like "what is this crazy bastard wearing now?!!"

there are definitely people that post pics of nice gear that fits terribly, or looks dressed by the internet but they get a pass because they've shown their personality thru other posts in discussion or whatever and have proven to be likable, funny, cool guys. you see them from a different point of view.

anyway, that thom browne skirt suit is just silly. i don't care if it is supposed to be ironic juxtaposition or whatever. its a double breasted jacket (primarily reserved for business) with a skirt (guaranteed to get you laughed out of any serious business meeting). also, the jacket is too short and the skirt is too long. or maybe it just looks too long. either way it sucks...
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                            Touche A.
                            Obviously we all talk from personal experience.For me growing up in london ive become accustomed to seeing all kinds of crazy shit in terms of dress,and ofcourse we have all been guilty of judging this way.Through the years you tend to judge less purely on somebodies exterior,and kinda of become numb to it in a way.
                            Always enjoy your post's and you are always fair in what you say. Good man.
                            haha, it's all good my man!

i think I tend to "knee jerk" and type out a rant and then once I let it digest I can break it down more clearly

Funny how you talk about people dressing crazily in London. I've been a few times (once staying as long as two weeks) and most folks I saw dressed pretty regular unless you were rolling through a club. Although there was this one fellow:

neon pink hitler 'stache, hair and everything in between. I remember him clearly to this day.

When someone takes it to that level of extreme, I admit, i actually want to know what they're up to

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Maybe he's fed up with it himself, and heading over to French Connection for some fcuk tees

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

That's an interesting conversation, and i'd like to participate a bit, insofar as my odd english allows me to do so.

Style had never been a strong center of interest in my life until those last months. I don't say I was absolutely indifferent to that matter, only that I didn't have a clue of the richness and intelligence it could convey. I was naïvely thinking that style and fashion were about either looking good or eccentric, which was, in both cases, not appealing to me.

And if I ended pushing this door, it's still not because of any of those two reasons : it is because, regardless of the way people receive it or care about it, it offers me an opportunity to give new shapes to my obsessions, using an entirely new medium. I use clothes as a reactive - to observe the way they may alter my perception of my own self, along with the perception of my physical environment.

If other people could not pay any attention to my outfits, I'd certainly be more than happy ; but since they do, and since I don't want them to interfere too much, I have to somewhat restrain myself. On the other hand, I feel that looking definitely outlandish may lead me to lose sight of my purpose : I'm looking for alterations, not for some kind of dressing-up. My outfits are not meant to create a gap between me and my surroundings - rather some kind of discrete, intricate and momentary connections.

To have people around not noticing what I am doing - and more than that, not interpreting it the wrong way, as a request for attention or anything of that kind - is one of my most secret pleasures. Even if it's a rare one.
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎