X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

Fabric: Dyeing and Colorfastness

So this does not pertain to clothing items, but it is about fabric...

I want to make my own curtains. I have been looking everywhere, and I can not find anything that I like. I am extremely picky with these kinds of things. So one of the home design center people I spoke with suggested I go to the Garment district and buy my own fabric and either make them myself or have them made.

I have some questions/concerns:

Colorfastness of material. Since these will be hung in the direct sunlight, I dont want to spend good money on fabric that I love and have it fade in two weeks. I know that all fabric will fade over time, but looking for suggestions or what to ask for in this regard.

Dyeing of material. Tied to the concern above. I have found a potential white fabric that may suffice but I would want to dye it a very specific grey. So looking for suggestions on places to dye and what type of dye to avoid quick fading.

It is amazing that I have looked at a million places and grey curtains are almost non-existent.
    Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

come to stockholm. there's grey and latte colours everywhere.
    i wish i could help more with the colourfastness thing, but i'm not sure if it's the fiber or the dye that determines how colour fast something is. all I know is that it's easier to dye natural fiber. fiber reactive dye.

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
      come to stockholm. there's grey and latte colours everywhere.
      i wish i could help more with the colourfastness thing, but i'm not sure if it's the fiber or the dye that determines how colour fast something is. all I know is that it's easier to dye natural fiber. fiber reactive dye.
      thank you. cant go to stockholm right now but will start researching the fiber aspect. i also have a feeling that i will probably find fabric and that i will love the color but will fade horribly...

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

i don't know about colorfastness, unfortunately, but I bet the nice people at Mood will be able to advise you. I got the fabric for my curtains there (they are silvery grey), and they were very helpful.
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by laika View Post
          i don't know about colorfastness, unfortunately, but I bet the nice people at Mood will be able to advise you. I got the fabric for my curtains there (they are silvery grey), and they were very helpful.
          Thank you. I will try definitely try Mood. Curtains have become my enemy right now. I look everywhere that I go. I know exactly what color I want, at least for one room, and that is part of the problem...

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

^Here's the address, in case you don't watch Project Runway.

225 W 37th St, 3rd Floor
            New York, NY 10018

This is their website.
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• kira
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by laika View Post
              ^Here's the address, in case you don't watch Project Runway.

225 W 37th St, 3rd Floor
              New York, NY 10018

This is their website.
              thank you.

Comment

• swami
                • Jul 2008

I recommend you talk to these guys, Mood while having a decent selection is more fashion specific.Zarin has a huge selection of never ending fabrics for drapes. It will be expensive to fabricate them but always use lining ..this will extend the life of your curtains for quite a few years.
                Upholstery Fabric, Upholstery, Draperies, Furniture Re-upholstery, Pillows, Drapery Hardware, Hunter Douglas, Window Treatments

Comment

I'd like to have curtains made in the same jersey rick owens used for palais royal JERSEY CURTAINS.

Comment

• D_S
                    • Jul 2008

kira- If you cant find curtain specific fabric and want a glossy-ish finish maybe check out flag fabrics and automobile sun-shade type fabrics. Anything of moderate quality must be finished to resist fading. Also you could check outdoor furniture upholstery, a quick google found this. Supposed to be sun/uv resistant. Cant tell so much from the web samples so send away for fabric swatches but they have a choice of textures and shades and there are many online retailers. Also maybe think along the lines of sailboating/yachting fabrics, although these maybe more heavy duty than you are looking for.

Heirloom - Ive never seen the rick curtains but I had random jersey curtains in my Brooklyn loft. Black, faded to charcoal. Cant say I really noticed them though, im not much of a curtain toucher. Whats so special about the palais royal jersey?

Comment

it's the same thin jersey he uses for the lilies collection. It was thin and matte and dust coloured. it looked awesome.

Comment

• Vahiren
                        • Jan 2009

mood

Be careful about Mood, the lighting there is not the best and I have loved a fabric color in the store and when I got it home it was a completely different color than what I thought!
                        Don't fuck with me fellas, this aint my first time at the rodeo.

Comment

• loveless
                          • Feb 2007

dying N(N) denim

this is a good thread. anybody done any denim dying and have any tips? I am trying to re dye my 06 N(N) dark grey w/ black over dye jeans. These jeans are losing their black over dye color and I want to refresh them visually. Already kinda looking bland and like a regular light blue jean color.

I just figured on getting some RIT dye and testing out a pocket or something.

Comment

• kira
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                            it's the same thin jersey he uses for the lilies collection. It was thin and matte and dust coloured. it looked awesome.
                            i actually have been thinking about a fabric like the RO jersey or like my attachment scarf for my curtains...either would be divine. unfortunately the curtain project has been put on hold until February until my work crunch lets up then.

Comment

• Test
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by loveless View Post
                              this is a good thread. anybody done any denim dying and have any tips? I am trying to re dye my 06 N(N) dark grey w/ black over dye jeans. These jeans are losing their black over dye color and I want to refresh them visually. Already kinda looking bland and like a regular light blue jean color.

I just figured on getting some RIT dye and testing out a pocket or something.
                              I just dyed some white stonewash V-A jeans to grey. Was feeling lazy and just bought a single packet of black Rit (they advise 1 packet/lb. of fabric). 8 mins in the dye, a quick warm wash and they dried to a great grey with a hint of lavender. The purplish tone makes sense to me since I've heard RIT black sometimes fades to a black/purple. However a heavy cotton shirt I dyed black (with the proper time in the dye) hasn't faded in the least.

Everything I've read said you should get the liquid Rit if possible. And be sure to use an appropriate amount of salt with the dye to help bind the dye to the fabric.

I was hoping someone cold explain this to me: there are various areas where there are speckles of yellow and red. I was under the impression such damage would occur with bleaching, not dyeing.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎