X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Alexander McQueen

I was reading an interview with Mcqueen in the new Fashion Inc. mag lately (great issue by the way) and wondering what you guys think of him. It seems like his dark subversive attitude might appeal to some of those on this forum. Personally, I love the man, his attitude towards fashion, and his shows are some of the best (women's S/S 07 video gave me goose bumps) but I've never found any of his menswear in stores that made me want to buy it. Ladies, feel free to comment aswell on his womenswear. Here are some of my favorite bits from the interview:

Speaking of his F/W 06 menswear "It's all very simplistic, take away the kimonos and, y'know, there's definitely pieces I'd wear. I mean, if I was the size of a stick and if I had somewhere glitzy to go. Which I never do because I never wanna go to those places anyway..."

Asked if he likes designing menswear: "No! Because I don't know what I want to wear. And what I want to wear doesn't need to be designed, I peronally don't know many men who go out and buy the 'new look' for men, like women go out and get the 'new woman's look'. Who fucking does that? No one, unless you're whatsisname, Elton John's boyfriend, and want to buy the new Dior look and try to squeeze into it, know what I mean?"

Speaking of how to change menswear: "Unless you want to look like a fucking complete freak, then there's got to be another way around it, and I don't think it's so much with the cut of menswear as with the physics of it. With the balance of the sportswear and the evening wera. A different take on dressing."

"There are good men's designers out there. Raf is really good menswear designer, Hedi's a good menswear designer, and then you've got someone like Kim Jones, who is doing a totally different thing altogether... but if you look at the shows as a whole, then I don't know where's it going. There's got to be a different way of looking at things, do you know what I'm saying? Because you always get a mac in the collection, you always get a suit in a collection. And y'know, I'm a brilliant cutter and I can cut you mad stuff but, what's the point?"

"To be honest I'm not a big buyer of the stuff anyway... I'm not doing my company any good here am it? Fucking hell!"

Talking about his company: "We've done the necessary work with creating the image and now it needs to be pulled back. We just need to take control of it, so that it doesn't run away with itself and we suddenly find ourselves doing fucking bed linen.. I think in general fashion needs to pull back a bit and remember what it's actually about... I think it becomes a bit too obsessed with the designer. I don't want people to copy the way I dress."
    music
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: Alexander Mcqueen

picked up that magazine a few days ago. impressed that it's actually pretty good!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

What he says about menswear is right. In my book he is one of the three most talented womenswear designers, along with Chalayan and Watanabe. He is a genius as far as clothes go, no doubt about it, and I'm glad he speaks his mind without being afraid of getting a whipping from the suits at Gucci.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

One of my favorite McQueen collections, FW 02

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

It's time we gave this thread its due!

I was doing some research on McQueen and came across this post, with images from each of his collections.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• coldcreep
            • Jan 2012

The Men's Fall/Winter 09/10 was so good. You can still see the show on his web-site.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

The Overlook – Autumn/Winter 1999

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• safeword123
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                It's time we gave this thread its due!

I was doing some research on McQueen and came across this post, with images from each of his collections.
                ^ good read, thx for posting!

Comment

• Magic1
                  • Jan 2011

I love his womenswear: so many disparate elements working cohesively. And amazing tailoring. The book from the MET show is worth getting, it's rather cheap given the quality and has wonderful photos.
                  It's such a shame his menswear is crap (at least the rtw line, I've never seen a show). I with the designers that can just do womenswear just stick to womenswear (chalayan, junya..), I realize there's pressure from execs, but still...

Comment

• KingJulien
                    • Oct 2011

I don't know about those specifically but a lot of those designers do a little of the styling and conceptualization and not much else. Faust or someone could probably give you more detail on that. I believe McQueen did his own, though.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I highly doubt that Junya or Chalayan "do a little bit of the styling and not much else." Many do, but not those two.

In response to Magic - I seriously doubt it was McQueen's decision to do menswear. I am pretty sure it was PPR's deci$ion. McQueen dazzled - and one cannot dazzle with menswear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KodakII
                        • Sep 2008

Spring Summer 1995

Comment

• KodakII
                          • Sep 2008

S/S 1996

Comment

• KodakII
                            • Sep 2008

Autumn Winter 1996-1997

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                              • Nov 2007

To the idiots at the Fashion Channel

To the idiots at the Fashion Channel

Thanks Kodak II for posting these works by one of the greatest showmen of all time for our metier. Somebody does need however, to correct the idiots at the Fashion Channel to change the titles.

None of these shows have anything to do with Paris. There were not done in Paris. They were done in London before he started the Givenchy job, before the Gibo-Kashiyama deal, before the Gucci buyout, and before his own collections were ever shown in Paris.

It is very important to note this because he was still an independent designer making the transition to becoming a licensed designer at the time these shows were taking place, and the energy, spirit and all of the intensely superb collaborative people in these presentations were made possible, at the current budgets of the time that he had available, only by the fact that he was working on his own, in his own turf and his own home town...a big home town, no less, with a lot of resources (and a lot of friends), but as a Londoner, he would never have been able to pull these shows off as they were- in the industrial fashion PR mafia-ized Paris of the late 1990's, for a variety of critically important reasons which I will not go into here. And London, and all the people in London who made it happen, deserve the credit. Not Paris.

The fact that Fashion Channel does not know or care about the difference is indicative of how little mainstream fashion really knows about him or his work- and the work of many others who maybe deserve a little better than what they got or get.

I will add too to our SZ friend out there named Fashion Disaster, that before anything involving showmanship, McQueen was a sewer... a very competent hands-on tailor who had started making dresses for his family when he was a kid and later worked at no less than 2 Saville Row bespoke houses plus Koji Tatsuno and Romeo Gigli (both very creative people and teams during this time, believe me) before ever going to Central Saint Martins as the famous fable goes... one more working tailor in a long line of fashion's most creative practitioners, further reinforcing my argument that the knowing of the "how" is the true root of the creative process... and in the end, tailors in this business are the real designers.

And what very few real ones there are these days.

I firmly believe he was also a clear victim of the fashion industrial system, which was a result partly of his own ambitions and career decisions, as well as his family, background and economic situation, which all led him to make his fundamental focus on creating and establishing fame first and foremost, early in a big way, to secure financial backers, and then to worry about the rest of the mechanism later and delegate it to others. Thus, the importance of the show in his repertoire as a designer. In his own words, these were the primary objectives of the exact shows posted above and they happened just before McQueen landed the Kashayama-Gibo licensing deal. You want to be as big as you can get, as soon as possible, and like the music industry, there are interests out there which can give that to you if you are good enough to pull it off, but it all comes at a price. And in the end, that price can kill you in a myriad of ways.

Other exceptionally good practitioners of this generation have taken different paths, and as a result, still live to tell a story... and have the precious opportunity to further perfect and evolve their work, and perhaps enjoy their brief time on this planet for just a little bit longer. RIP.

Thanks again for posting KodakII.

Best wishes, Geoffrey

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎