Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoFiya
    • Sep 2007

^ that looks nice indeed. But I always refrain from cooking a chicken as a whole because it is basically impossible to cook both breast and legs right. To achieve both being juice, you have to cut up the chicken in the moment the breast is done and the legs still need some time, no?
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

I don't really think so. usually, getting ideal cooking for both is a bit trickier than getting either/or perfect, but there are plenty of ways to get it just so. Off the top of my head, this one is brilliant:

There’s good roast chicken, and then there’s Judy Roger’s legendary approach — dry brine, crazy crisp skin and a salad that’s akin to deconstructed stuffing.

I think it gets harder and harder as the bird gets bigger though. The only way I can get turkeys right is to create a foil "heat shield" that spends a fair bit of time on top of the breast. Or to smoke it...
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

Thanks for the tip! Will consider it the next time
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Pontifex
          • Jun 2010

^ That looks very tasty!
          I always slice the tighs a couple of times all the way to the bone before putting the bird in the oven or on the grill. That does the trick for me. Usually done at the same time.
          oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

I was too slow to book Alinea for an upcoming trip. How is L20? Where else should I eat? And, no, I can't get Next tickets.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• savant
              • Jul 2011

Lamb rumps coated with rosemary, sweet smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and some chipotle pepper flakes on mine:

Direct over coals (mix of Beads and lump) in the little 18.5" kettle for a couple mins each side:

Lid on, smokin!

Moved to indirect for the remainder of the cook.

Epic Larger to pass the time Quite tasty, it's a pilsner that's 8.5% Alc

No pic of plated result, but here's dessert. Black forest gateaux made by the missus

Last edited by savant; 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Johngd
                • Feb 2009

u make me really hungry with your pics. looks so tasty

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

^ sweet, can't wait til barbeque weather...

an ongoing attempt to perfect the burger - this time with ground beef purchased from a farm close by, on home made brioche buns:

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• morsto
                    • Nov 2008

350g ribeye, fries, bearnaise (not vis).
                    simple can be good
                    I do not recognise the vessel,
                    but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Is anybody of SZ familiar with / a member of Slow Food?
                      To briefly summarize, Slow Food is an institution sensitizing the use of seasonal and locally produced food. They also support the manufacture of specific products that do not match the criteria for a mass product (e.g. too small harvest, too complex production, ...).

I myself am a member although I do not 100% support everything they do - some things are a tad too idealistic / not realizable on a broader perspective. But then again it's as with politics - some people are members of a party and yet do have their own oppinions on certain topics. And regarding the general objectives, I certainly do stand behind the statements of Slow Food.

During the past few days, there was a big fair of Slow Food Germany (also with producers from the EU). I've been there for the 4th time or so, also as a helper... As always, I enjoyed talking to manufacturer and getting more insight on their products. Also, my wallet is empty and I have a shitload of tasty stuff waiting to be eaten
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

I've never been a member of Slow Food, but when I last had a free time in Italy (sigh, 8 years ago), I used the snail as my guide for restaurants whenever I was in a new town. Worked out very well for me. It has been fun to watch it spread, and I respect what they're doing. I don't know enough to be up to speed on all the details.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

The Publican and Avec are spots I hit nearly every visit.

I've been on the fence with Sepia, Bonsoiree, Schwa (if they ever call back, as per usual), and L20.

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            ^ sweet, can't wait til barbeque weather...

an ongoing attempt to perfect the burger - this time with ground beef purchased from a farm close by, on home made brioche buns:
                            Speaking of burgers, I tried this last week, voted Australia's best burger for 2011.
                            "Umami Burger – 200g Wagyu and Angus beef cooked to medium rare, Umami rub, brown mushroom sauce, gruyere, caramelised onions, oven roasted tomato and a parmesan crisp between a sweet brioche bun."

From the review:
                            When everyone is jamming Wagyu into their burgers as a fancy wallet emptying tactic, he stops and reconsiders, telling us that a “100% Wagyu pattie has no place in a burger. You end up losing a lot of beefy flavours”. By mixing his Wagyu with Angus Beef he is able to achieve the best of both worlds – the fatty softness of the Wagyu whilst delivering the beefy kick of the Angus.

Full details here:

Comment

• savant
                              • Jul 2011

God, i have to try wagyu one day damnit.

Cant find any locally unfortunately :/

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                                Speaking of burgers, I tried this last week, voted Australia's best burger for 2011.
                                looks good. One of my favourite burgers has been at Comme Ça in LA, simple but very good. Another awesome one, though not a regular burger per se, was the pork belly burger/sandwich at Animal in LA. I've tried replicating it once and came nowhere close.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎