X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

Favorite Food in SF at:

Zuni Cafe - I go here at least once a week since I live right beside it. It's a Judy Rogers San Francisco institution and my go to for business and fun.

Range
    NoPa
    Foreign Cinema
    Frances
    Hama-Ko (best sushi in the city by a laaaaaand slide. Very small, intimate, and the two owners are so traditional (mom does serving and pop is the sushi chef) - Make a reservation.
    Chez Spencer

Clothing:

The Archive is really the only place. These guys are the best!!!!

If you want to search for some good deals on high end used clothing you can find a few pairs of Rick boots, Ann D stuff, Dior, CdG, even a pair of Guidi boots mixed in not so appealing brands at Sui Generis. The guys are really nice and know their stuff. (It's an all men's consignment shop in the Castro) I've gotten lucky here many times and the clothing quality is almost always "like new".

Barney's 5th floor isn't horrible, but it's not Manhattan. Sometimes the shoe floor has very good deals if there is clearance stock, since literally no one buys mens shoes here. haha

Other stuff:
    de Young museum has a Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit they just opened up
    SF MOMA - quick and easy but worth a visit
    Beaches at Baker Beach, Cliff's End, the end of Golden Gate Park
    Various clubs (San Francisco has by far the best underground dance scene in the United States) If you are into that I could give a very long list.
    Use www.squidlist.com to find Burner Events, Flash Mobs, Street Fairs etc etc etc if that's your thing......

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

^ that reminds me, the out of the closests in SF fucking suck even by middling thrift standards. please flip off their locations as you pass them in your vehicle/on foot.

Comment

• sinnedk
        Banned
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        So bummed to miss the above exhibit. Anyway, I will be in San Francisco for three days in the second part of April. Must-visit restaurants, coffee shops, books/magazine shops, exhibits, neighborhoods to stroll in?
        Is Chez Panisse worth the trip/money?
        Coffee:
        Philz coffee try it, really good,
        Food:
        mexican food in mission, pancho villa for good burritos,
        nihon, whiskey bar if you like whiskey w/sushi,
        neighborhoods:
        the haight, union square, china town, fisherman's wharf, castro area, noe valley
        museums:
        MOMA, Legion of honor, exloratiorium,

if you have more specifics, i can think of others

Comment

• Skye X
          • Oct 2010

Philz is up there. Check out this list: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/201...ive_coffee.php

Pancho Villa is good. The other amazing burrito places in the Mission are Papalote and El Metate.

For Chinese food, Lung Shan and Red Lantern are both amazing.

For great pizza, Patxi's or Zachary's.

Arizmendi and Tartine are the best bakeries in the city. Call ahead at Tartine to reserve a loaf of bread - they sell out every day.

Cha Cha Cha serve the best tapas I've ever had.

The Citrus Club at the upper end of Haight is a great Asian Fusion place.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Philz is skippable in my mind. They're acceptable blends, roasted dark enough to taste like roasting not coffee. For coffee, ritual or blue bottle. For espresso, four barrel. Sightglass has tons of hype, doesn't live up to it.

Pancho Villa is bland, and gave me the worst food poisoning I can imagine. Only time in my life I've ever wished for my own death. I'd recommend La Cumbre, La Taqueria, and El Farolito way before Pancho Villa.

For great pizza, Zero Zero has to be mentioned.

Dynamo Donuts deserves all the hype it gets. Monte Cristo, passion fruit + milk chocolate, chocolate rose, apricot + cardamom, the list goes on...
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

If I were coming to San Francisco I'd say go to the city and stop by

(1) Shop at The Archive.

(2) go sailing in the bay.

(3) Dinner at UNA PIZZA NAPOLETANA.

(4) Late show at Yoshi's Jazz Club

Comment

• trentk
                • Oct 2010

head down to kirby cove

check out point bonita lighthouse (around this bend)

some pretty cool bunkers in the area too - for your rick owens clad bunker archeology fantasies - but, idk if you have time.
                "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• sinnedk
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
                  Philz is up there. Check out this list: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/201...ive_coffee.php

Pancho Villa is good. The other amazing burrito places in the Mission are Papalote and El Metate.

For Chinese food, Lung Shan and Red Lantern are both amazing.

For great pizza, Patxi's or Zachary's.

Arizmendi and Tartine are the best bakeries in the city. Call ahead at Tartine to reserve a loaf of bread - they sell out every day.

Cha Cha Cha serve the best tapas I've ever had.

The Citrus Club at the upper end of Haight is a great Asian Fusion place.
                  all good ides

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                  If I were coming to San Francisco I'd say go to the city and stop by

(1) Shop at The Archive.

(2) go sailing in the bay.

(3) Dinner at UNA PIZZA NAPOLETANA.

(4) Late show at Yoshi's Jazz Club
                  #4 is a great place

Comment

• comedyzen
                    • May 2009

OK, time to dissect the previously mentioned. The Archive shouldn't even have been mentioned given the fact that they are a sponsor here.

Slanted Door: Overpriced, white-washed Viet, dog food. Go to Thanh Long, this is an OG Viet spot, founded by the owners of The Crustacean (another Slanted-Door like joint) for much less.

Philz is NOT skippable. You want a jolt to the system, this is it. 4 Barrels and Blue Bottle...eh.

Mexican: Agreed with CRUST for the most part except about Poncho Villa. Solid place with decent salsa bar.

French Laundry: Sure, make sure your Black Card Visa concierge makes reservations months in advance. Good luck getting that table.

Chinese: Great Eastern in Chinatown. A touch of touristy, but the food is clean and good.

Pizza: Doesn't touch NY. However my fav Italian joint is Tommaso's. Very interesting history. Owned and started by a Chinese dude (with Italian interjections) in the 70's. I see Gov. Jerry Brown all the time, and even saw Francis Coppala's fat ass there many years ago (this place is his old hangout when he had his studio across the street). After dinner here, stroll North Beach as I think it is the most charming hood in SF.

Bi-Rite for ice cream. I'm not a fan of ice cream, but I will wait in this line.

Yoshi's is OK, but you will have to take out a 2nd mortgage to cover the bill. OK food, great music, but I imagine jazz in NY destroys this.

I would also GOOG pop ups. Bunch of hipster fucks cooking in a garages...sometimes a hit sometimes a miss.
                    Last edited by comedyzen; 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• coldcreep
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post

Pizza: Doesn't touch NY. However my fav Italian joint is Tommaso's. Very interesting history. Owned and started by a Chinese dude (with Italian interjections) in the 70's. I see Gov. Jerry Brown all the time, and even saw Francis Coppala's fat ass there many years ago (this place is his old hangout when he had his studio across the street). After dinner here, stroll North Beach as I think it is the most charming hood in SF.
                      I never miss Tommaso's when I go to San Francisco. I'm ordering a pizza to go on my way back home to LA when I go to San Francisco in April.

Comment

• sinnedk
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2011

Philz seems to be a winner here!

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

^^Agreed on French Laundry. Of course it's good, but last time I went it was $600 / person and you better be a serious foodie because it's meant to be an experience so you spend hours and hours there. If that's your thing, it's worth it. If not, you can eat at every other place listed, combined, for less than this. :)

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                            • Oct 2011

So not SF proper, I realise, but I've one more day in Mountain View and looking for somewhere memorable to grab a bite to eat, preferably somewhere along Castro. Any recommendations before I resort to Yelp?

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sinnedk View Post
                              Philz seems to be a winner here!
                              Philz is a winner if you like darker roasted blends for coffee. They make coffee well, and use single cup pourover. I don't particularly care for coffee roasted that darkly, and they do not do espresso drinks at all. My sister swears by Philz, as do a number of people on this thread.

For me, w.r.t. coffee, I'll take a cup out of the Clover at Ritual first, blue bottle second, and probably the single-cups from the side table at FourBarrel third.

For espresso, macchiatos and the like, the selection changes. Four Barrel is my favorite. Ritual roasts slightly darker, and less floral, than Four Barrel, but makes solid espresso drinks.

Bicycle is a surprisingly good roaster, but you need to brew your own. They roast only.

---------------------------------

Mountain View: Chez TJ is just off Castro, fancy, good, michelin starred. Sakoon is one of the tackiest places I've ever walked into, but the food (Indian) is quite good. A little further afield, in Palo Alto, there's Baume for the michelin-starred experience (meh), or Jinsho for some delicious sushi. If you've got a bit of time to kill, go wine tasting at Vin Vino Wine. 2009 Henri Gouges tasting today, 2007 Barolo tasting tomorrow.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Icarium
                                • Oct 2010

I'm sure people have covered things better than I will, but lately I've been very happy with some places near my parent's place in downtown.

Especially: Deli Board, a sandwich place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/deli-board-san-francisco

They have this bk breakfast sandwich that's egg, sausage, bacon with thousand island sauce on toasted dutch crunch which is divine. 4.5 stars after 398 reviews on yelp is pretty impressive not that I consider yelp gospel.

Near there is my friend's restaurant Citizen Band which is pretty solid 8th/folsom. City beer store next to that has an amazing collection of craft dark beers both in bottle and on top (It has a ghetto name but is quite a nice beer bar with a different sized glass for each pour so seeing a hardworking table filled with 10s of glasses of different sized empty glasses is a rather nice visual).

Sightglass coffee is near there too on 7th/folsom is pretty highly considered for non-chain coffee.

For bars my favorite that I've been to is Smuggler's Cove for tiki/rum drinks. I know Bourbon and Branch is highly touted for the 1 week reservation in advance speak easy style bar as is Rickhouse/Alembic for having good drinks, but the latter two haven't particularly impressed me and I'm skeptical B&B will be better since it has the same owner/similar drinks to Rickhouse. Singlebarrel in San Jose is infinitely better than all of the above, but that's a distance away.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎