Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavagai
    • May 2010

You can't expect feeble minds to think on a deep level. She heard the word "bitch" over and over and over again and that is that. She doesn't want to try and understand the artists' intent (designer or musician).

There are thousands of poorly written articles available on the internet.

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
      You can't expect feeble minds to think on a deep level. She heard the word "bitch" over and over and over again and that is that. She doesn't want to try and understand the artists' intent (designer or musician).

There are thousands of poorly written articles available on the internet.
      And at least 352 poorly thought out posts available on this forum...
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

"Why would any man design women cloths."
        so good.

Anyway, I clicked on this thread because I thought it was about Robin Givens getting laid.

me = disappointed.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Macro View Post
          E, she writes like a prude, and from what i've gathered, often acts like one too. Her cunty sense of entitlement is as much a disease as her post-feminist malevolence. Obviously I exaggerate... but while she shows apparent 'courage' in being outspoken and can seem 'brutal' in her judgements, she exercises a poisonous megalomania and also, perhaps, exposing her resentment to the systematic transfer of power to bloggers and the ensuing descent to levity fashion has taken as a result.
          The game is changing, and her viewpoint is losing relevance.

And A, exactly my inferred point here.
          Fair enough - you just didn't have to put it in the terms you did. I didn't know who that is until she popped up in my google alerts. She writes for the Daily Beast - not too far removed from a blog, methinks - at least I'd never go read it...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
            And at least 352 poorly thought out posts available on this forum...
            Fuuma go fuck yourself.

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

shits gettin real
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Man we don't have to get so test about this man

This woman is a respected fashion journalist of the highest order who has been around a long time and has the necessary resume to write an article such as this whether we like it or not........She is no "hurry-cum-up" blogger but a pulitzer prize winner who has work at numerous fashion publications for a long time.

I have known her since my time doing womenswear when she was the fashion editor of the Washington Post.

What I would like to see, is someone intelligently and intellectually refute her perspective without taking disrespectful and personal swipes at her.......I do not agree with her perspective, but indeed I can understand where she is coming from, and instead of talking crap lets see someone show her she is talking garbage by putting up a sound argument.....
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• gavagai
                  • May 2010

This piece can hardly be called anything other than an opinion piece.

"OK, and perhaps, in a context of his own making or in his own head, it is—but played uninterrupted within the context of Owens’s fashion show, it landed like a verbal assault, an aural pummeling of women’s dignity … as if the face masks were not problematic enough."

"The most memorable aspect of Owens’s Fall 2012 runway show was...What’s his beef with women?"

"While Owens directed a presentation that ultimately belittled women"

Please show me the actual argument. There literally isn't one.

This is nothing more than a poorly thought out opinion piece.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

bravo zamb. your consistent calls for civility are to be applauded. it's not just an opinion. as i understand it, her argument is that the cage masks and the bitch soundtrack amount to a misogynistic presentation. perfectly state-able and perfectly refutable.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• gavagai
                        • May 2010

"as i understand it, her argument is that the cage masks and the bitch soundtrack amount to a misogynistic presentation."

Premise: Rick used caged masks on women in his runway shoe

Premise: Rick used a song that continually repeats the word :"bitch" during the show

Conclusion: Rick Owens F/W 2012 show is a misogynistic presentation

Sorry, there isn't a university on earth that would call this a valid or sound argument.

The conclusion in no way follows or is derived from the premises (if they can be called that).

I understand zamb's perspective, but given the article, I think it is pretty clear that she is taking swipes at Rick's show and men designers in general with nothing more than sweeping statements.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

i don't think it matters if u call it an opinion or an argument or an editorial or even a review. it certainly isn't simple reporting or journalism. in other words, it is not "just the facts". which is in itself perfectly fine.

i think the resentment from people here stems mostly from the fact that her perception likely differs very drastically from rick's intention. and anyone that knows anything about the guy would know that. and she feels perfectly comfortable using some pretty harsh statements against someone most people here regard as a kind and humble person that adores his mommy and his lady and would not purposefully demean women in any way. unless it was behind closed doors and she was asking for it. u know...consenting adults and all. tee hee...

she is reading far too much into the masks and does not take into account the context behind the song and its creator(s).

and i really don't want to start a whole big thing here but the term bitch does have different meanings depending on who is saying it. much like the n word. which i am not typing here because its not a word that should be used by a guy like me, in this context.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                            quick question, and sorry if this seems obvious to others, but what is so demeaning about the "cagelike masks"? and don't say its about restraint and control and power and the "prison" of being a woman in a male dominated society or some bullshit. thats just silly. its a fuckin accessory that the wearer, male or female, can easily take off whenever they are ready to. its just a sexy accessory thats all this is stupid. and i think what macro means by "getting laid" is for her to loosen the hell up. not everything is a statement on society that demands a moral reponse. jeezus.

the clothes are not even remotely misogynistic. the only potentially demeaning thing in this show is that stupid ass song that apparently is being horribly misinterpreted. and, btw robin, a woman's voice does dominate half the track
                            I agree, and I don't get it either. For me there is nothing offensive about it. The beanie/mask is one of the main things that I would like to own from the new Rick collection. I would wear that shit out and scare people hahah.. For me the collection oozed power, not submission. Some women are just...

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Right on, cjbreed. Gavaji, what the fuck is wrong with you lately?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by rilu
                                it's not political correctness that is problematic here, but simply the lack of good arguments.
                                one and the same no? dogma is based on faith not logic.
                                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎