Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

eh, to me it's not so much the 'Made In...' it's all semantics anyway. If the piece falls apart after a few wears/cleanings now we're talking, my friend.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• syed
      • Sep 2010

I was talking about this with a friend of mine actually. Regardless of whether I am spending a lot, or a little, on a garment, I always carefully check the seams and construction. Price and construction quality aren't necessarily an easy to read relationship. But I want to get some sense of value for money in terms of quality.

And I do pay attention to where the garments are made, although of course you can never make sweeping generalizations about specific countries and sweatshops. But for example GAP are rather infamous for using certain sweatshops that fund the Tamil Tigers, which people have protested against, but most consumers don't want to think about stuff like that. Heck it's the same with buying meat in the supermarket, people want it nicely packaged and not have to think where it comes from (not saying you shouldn't eat meat or anything).

P.S. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3139196 This was a pretty good documentary expose on sweatshops in Britain. Only of a single factory, but I think the wider implications and the real cost of fast fashion is interesting.

Heck the fact that cotton can be picked in one country, spun into fabric, shipped to Bangladesh, sewn into a t-shirt, packaged and shipped to an H&M in London to be put on the rail for only £3 makes me think there has to be something wrong somewhere. Not saying it should cost a bomb, and I am aware that there are issues such as bulk buying and economics at work that I don't understand, but there is a disconnect in my mind with such a low price. I would think twice before considering buying that piece...on top of the fact that it probably will fall apart the first time I wash it!
      "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

People over here were lining up at 9 PM last night for the drop this morning, was all over Yahoo HK Auctions by 11. Was almost tempted to walk inside any H&M and ask if any L&M was still around...
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• whitney
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Adams View Post
          just think that's a bit sad that all those houses and designers gave their name for H&M 's money... Who's next ? Margiela for H&M ? or Junya Watanabe maybe heh
          gap and valentino.
          ------------

mostly they do it for the money.

sometimes it helps certain designers get their name out there. it may be familiar to a few but for the most part people just might hear it in the passing or pick up a magazine and see the byline but its not in their face like these partnerships allow.

i guess any publicity is really good publicity.
          you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• hurricane08
            • Nov 2008

ok ,went to center today ,can't remember how many lanvin x h&m bags i saw ...not only from low/mid budget college girls,but also from high-heeled luxury women
            "The end" for Lanvin ...

Comment

• gaitortrout
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              People over here were lining up at 9 PM last night for the drop this morning, was all over Yahoo HK Auctions by 11. Was almost tempted to walk inside any H&M and ask if any L&M was still around...
              Embrace your entrepreneurial instincts next time. You could be rolling around in filthy H&M bucks right now if only you played your cards right.
              pm me.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                • Aug 2009

So, I checked out the clothes in person today and even though I didn't end up buying anything for myself, I was nonetheless nicely surprised about a few pieces that I thought delivered great quality for the price points on which these pieces were offered, leaving me with the impression that H&M pulled a good effort that some of these pieces fulfilled the promise of a certain luxury factor at such bargain prices (let's face it - you wouldn't even get a mainline Rick Owens T-Shirt for the price of a Lanvin / H&M dress made in Romania).

The collection worked well in the pieces that were less heavy on flounces and embellishment, in which subtle detailing and finishings known from Lanvin were evident - Such as in the one-shouldered dresses made from heavy-weight silk gazar and ottoman fabric in the womenswear or well-cut and finished sports tailoring in the menswear made from nicely textured woolen suitings. The men's crinkled tech-nylon trenchcoat surprised with accurate pin-tucking in the back and nice, contrasting stitch work.

The use of rhinestoned embellishments, acrylic jewelry and fake fur were (politely said) of rather dreadful taste, as was the construction and materials used for the footwear for both men's and womenwear - I understand they wanted to offer a complete look from head to toe, but for as long as H&M doesn't figure out to deliver technically demanding footwear as that with at least some quality, they simply shouldn't do it - Instead, I was missing more of the knits and shirtings that the menswear collection had in the womenswear, which felt too heavy on cocktailwear.

All in all, based purely on the garments themselves, I was perfectly fine on how the translation from mainline Lanvin into a more simplified, accessible pricing worked - Elbaz' design had always been known for a somewhat deconstructed take on Parisian dressmaking, which explains why even a good amount of his usual Lanvin designs are quite simple in construction.

Apart from that, I was unable to notice any of the frenzy that was reported in other cities and I can confirm that the collection was indeed still well-stocked half an hour before the closure in the evening. While I was looking into the women's collection, I noticed that the staff was quickly pulling the entire merchandise in as the Lanvin collection was apparently meant to remain on the salesfloor for only one day (!) ... I can only imagine that they'll tell other clients how it all sold out immediately which it apparently did NOT in all stores...!!

Besides, I can only assume that any visible quality issues on the clothes might also have to do with the way the garments were hanging and are being treated by the customers - you simply cannot stuff voluminous dresses made from fragile materials as tightly on the racks as they did here - scenes like these sometimes happen also in the Parisian luxury department stores when they're clearing stock at the end of the sales period and it's natural to find flawed merchandise from famed luxury houses at that point.

Comment

• Lane
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by syed View Post
                  ^ The clothes you wear the least are the ones that effectively cost you the most. Or so my father likes to tell me.

But I agree with you, I don't think because there is something you wear less often that you ought to spend less on it. Everyone probably has a suit in their cupboard that they really only pull out for certain occasions, or even a tux, which is classic in style, but you'd be willing to pay a little extra for the quality and fit.
                  I wonder if it has to do with anything psychological. Like say someone wants to preserve their cherished items so they simply wear them less. I know I don't wear my best stuff all the time because I feel it cheapens the experience of wearing the item.

Comment

• nqth
                    • Sep 2006

thx tricotineacetat for the report about finish and all. I was wondering about how the men stuffs look, as all the info I found on the net is about over the top dresses. techno-nylon trench coat sounds really nice. too bad i am living too far.

about good fininshing, i've found a way, by wearing underwear inside out, no need for flat seems anymore:)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎