Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tricotineacetat
    • Aug 2009

Let's see how it goes, some of these designer/high street collaborations work out beautifully, such as Topshop's Christopher Kane collection which was cleverly thought out to offer a design concept that also worked in mass production methods and with less luxurious materials. +J/Uniqlo also has decently reliable sportswear jackets and shirting that can meet with the about the same quality as Prada-era Helmut Lang/Jil Sander or lines such as CdG Shirt... Last but not least - looking at Rick's DRKSHDW line, most of the sweatshirting/jersey pieces could easily be replicated 1:1 by H&M, Unlqlo or whoever else at a significantly lower price without a compromise in quality.

I can imagine that Lanvin's whimsy sense of embellishment and easy elasticated volumes and finishigs with grosgrain ribbon could translate well in mass production, the construction on most of the womenswear is anyway rather simple and I guess it could work out well if they tried to do things similarily as they did in their ongoing collaboration with Acne. Let's hope there won't be too many silk dresses and evening looks for which many high street shoppers have no need for...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
      Let's see how it goes, some of these designer/high street collaborations work out beautifully, such as Topshop's Christopher Kane collection which was cleverly thought out to offer a design concept that also worked in mass production methods and with less luxurious materials. +J/Uniqlo also has decently reliable sportswear jackets and shirting that can meet with the about the same quality as Prada-era Helmut Lang/Jil Sander or lines such as CdG Shirt... Last but not least - looking at Rick's DRKSHDW line, most of the sweatshirting/jersey pieces could easily be replicated 1:1 by H&M, Unlqlo or whoever else at a significantly lower price without a compromise in quality.
      Nonsense. They are all shit. Everything that I've seen is awful crap. Not to mention all the ethical considerations that come with them...
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
        I kinda agree with you, Real Real. Also the forays into casuality I'm not so fond of...$1200 paint splattered jeans?!
        Geh, Lanvin jeans. I could see denim chinos, something like that, but who would buy Lanvin jeans? Though, Thom Browne is making jeans now too...Iron Heart-weight odd-fitting $350 jeans.

I'm sure that the Lanvin/H&M collaboration will have a lot of clothing in cotton jersey with unfinished edges in interesting colors that will look a lot like the stuff Lanvin already sells (for $300). Deconstructed t-shirts, hahaha.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Nonsense. They are all shit. Everything that I've seen is awful crap. Not to mention all the ethical considerations that come with them...
          Once we get started on ethical considerations, this debate could go on without an ending... after all, who knows if a woollen fabric was used from Australian wool or under what under whose control Italian workshops are? Or to whom they eventually subcontract in cases of larger production groups such as Staff International?

I don't know from what point of views you are judging your observations, but when it comes to the eventual clothes themselves, it doesn't matter anymore for what reasons such a collaboration was made. Someone like Jil could have easily kept gardening, collecting art or do whatever else she pleases... she's proved it all and she's not desperate for the money, so I assume she must have seen a challenge and her design integrity intact when she signed up with Uniqlo.

Based on a pragmatic observation, you don't see the difference in the sewing quality between Rick Owens and Topshop, Damir Doma and COS jersey pieces... to be honest, the ones I've had most quality issues with were actually the more expensive ones, whereas some Schiesser t-shirts I bought for less than 50€ a piece perfectly hold shape and don't crack in the seams or elsewhere. It's stupid to see fast retailing only from a dogmatic bad quality, bad ethics point of view when some outcomes are fine and make sense for what they are... it's obvious from the start that the product cannot and has to be different than the mainline.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Didn't Bogart say "We'll always have Hermès!"? I tend to agree.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Atom
              • Sep 2009

Once we get started on ethical considerations, this debate could go on without an ending... after all, who knows if a woollen fabric was used from Australian wool or under what under whose control Italian workshops are? Or to whom they eventually subcontract in cases of larger production groups such as Staff International?
              About ethical considerations: No, there is no way to be 100% sure about work conditions and such. But it is also a lame excuse to buy stuff that's made in Bangladesh, and argue that it's probably as ethically made as stuff made in Italy. Because most likely it isn't.

One reasons (or excuses if you like) for me to buy Margiela and such brands is that it's made sweatshop-free. The minute I find out it isn't true, i'll stop purchasing those 350€ basic cardigans and put my money elsewhere.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I don't know from what point of views you are judging your observations, but when it comes to the eventual clothes themselves, it doesn't matter anymore for what reasons such a collaboration was made. Someone like Jil could have easily kept gardening, collecting art or do whatever else she pleases... she's proved it all and she's not desperate for the money, so I assume she must have seen a challenge and her design integrity intact when she signed up with Uniqlo.

Based on a pragmatic observation, you don't see the difference in the sewing quality between Rick Owens and Topshop, Damir Doma and COS jersey pieces... to be honest, the ones I've had most quality issues with were actually the more expensive ones, whereas some Schiesser t-shirts I bought for less than 50€ a piece perfectly hold shape and don't crack in the seams or elsewhere. It's stupid to see fast retailing only from a dogmatic bad quality, bad ethics point of view when some outcomes are fine and make sense for what they are... it's obvious from the start that the product cannot and has to be different than the mainline.
                I don't know what part of "Everything I've seen" you missed. There is no way H&M can replicate Lanvin, end of story. Same goes for all other collabs, including +J. I'll give you basic dress shirts, but anything about it was shit, and I've seen it all. And please don't tell me about Jil's design integrity. Her work hinged on one thing only - quality, because everything else was so basic that it could even hardly be called "design." And with +J she took that one thing and gave it up. If that's not selling out, I don't know what is.

Lanvin on the other hand does pretty complex work which cannot be replicated.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Her work hinged on one thing only - quality, because everything else was so basic that it could even hardly be called "design."
                  I think the word 'design' has almost become overused in the sense that I think it applies to things in fashion where it wouldn't anywhere else - we use it to encapsulate a meeting of form and function where form consistently outweighs function or to describe things where form is the only element in essence but still falls under fashion "design". Raf Simons may be a good designer but he's often not a good designer what with poorly placed details and ill considered functionality decisions even with jackets from the 'classic' collections (which isn't to say they aren't very cool jackets or even that I dislike them). Jil Sander may have had a very basic (as you said, 'hardly be called design') "form" side of her work but the "function" has always struck me as very considered.

I can feel that I'm not really expressing what I'm trying to convey.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

I think that all of these collaborations are stupid, I absolutely hate them, and will forever hate them.
                    i was hoping by now they would die off as with other fashion trends, but thus one just isn't going away.................seems its here to stay, with Lanvin upping the ante

We can argue all we want about where things are made, in that the customer is deceived in these kinds of processes............... they are decieved in the sense that they are sold the idea that they are getting high end aesthetic at cheaper prices, which is absolutely not the case............and this is justified by people saying "oh, but I could never afford the original" that may be true in some cases, but I am of the view that the H&M customer spends more money annually on his/ her clothing than I do, who will never shop there, they also treat it with less regard, because of the idea that "its only $50 for this pants"........Yes, but after two washes it looks like crap!

Im tired and my thoughts are kinda incoherent, so Ill stop here....
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• lmaozedong
                      • Jan 2010

Glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed by this. Lanvin is all about luxe, and H&M is the opposite of that. Some of the pieces might be nice, but it will be superficial at best. I don't hate all collaborations as a rule--I think some can make sense, speaking exclusively from a marketing standpoint. The +J collection, for example, provided the customer with simply designed basics that actually fit quite nicely, in my opinion. But since Lanvin's image is all about the luxurious, this collaboration does not make sense to me. What is the point?

P.S. Quite sad that this thread had to be destroyed like this. The real Lanvin Homme S/S 11 is my favorite collection of the season. Again.

Comment

• christianef
                        • Feb 2009

lanvin for h&m

Fashion news, backstage photos, fashion trends, catwalk videos, supermodel interviews, beauty trends and celebrity party photos, brought to you by British Vogue

Comment

• hamham3002
                          • Sep 2008

i was just about to post that...
                          comme can sortaa be justified... but lanvin? damnnnnn.... :S

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Are you often approached by the Uniqlos, Zaras and H&M’s of the world?

Not so often, but there are enough inspired garments in those stores to last for a long time. They can survive without me........ Dries van Noten

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• jogu
                              • Jun 2009

maybe elbaz is just tryin to give people that cant buy lanvin for w/e reason the ability to have a slice of lanvin design minus the luxe element LOL nahhhhhhhhh im kiddin .

im not gonna hate on this shit till i see the clothes and even then if i see somethin i like im not even gonna consider gettin it cos from what ive read and heard these collabs sell the fuck out like within mins or some shit ??? i saw a vid of these girls pullin each others hair durin the cdg event i was like oh for fux sake u gotta be kiddin me , over a scarf ????

every goddam summer i see a shitloada girls wearin the same goddam skirts from h&m , id fuckin hate if i ran into someone wearin the exact same shit

Comment

• MikeN
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                                maybe elbaz is just tryin to give people that cant buy lanvin for w/e reason the ability to have a slice of lanvin design minus the luxe element LOL nahhhhhhhhh im kiddin .
                                lulzz

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎