X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farkhanyassin
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jogu View Post
    maybe elbaz is just tryin to give people that cant buy lanvin for w/e reason the ability to have a slice of lanvin design minus the luxe element LOL nahhhhhhhhh im kiddin .

im not gonna hate on this shit till i see the clothes and even then if i see somethin i like im not even gonna consider gettin it cos from what ive read and heard these collabs sell the fuck out like within mins or some shit ??? i saw a vid of these girls pullin each others hair durin the cdg event i was like oh for fux sake u gotta be kiddin me , over a scarf ????

every goddam summer i see a shitloada girls wearin the same goddam skirts from h&m , id fuckin hate if i ran into someone wearin the exact same shit
    Quoted for truth.

I was in Geneva in 2004 when the Karl Lagerfeld collaboration was going on. People bloody camped outside the H&M store the night before. I walked to the city after breakfast close to the opening time of the store. Apparently they sold the KL stuff within 2 hours. Crazzzy.

I don't how to feel yet about this, but I am actually looking forward to see the stuff on the 2nd of November just for the heck of it.
    MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• tricotineacetat
      • Aug 2009

Actually, the majority of garments made by Uniqlo are produced in China and since Fast Retail Group (the company under whose umbrella Uniqlo, Helmut Lang, Theory etc. belong) controls these factories, it is understood that they are producing all these brands in the same facilities.

China has over the last decade seen a significant jump from producing only for high-street chains to working with higher end companies, among which brands such as Givenchy, Alexander Wang, Ohne Titel, Yohji among many others account. It has become impossible to dogmatize 'Made in China' fabrication with poor quality and technical equipment, as well as ultra-bad working conditions when those in companies such as Rumania, Poland, Bulgaria, Morocco etc., in which people like Ann, Dries etc. are producing) are often worse than in modern, Chinese apparel factories (I can tell that by experience from seeing such places with my own eyes). So from that perspective, I do not see how it would make an ethic difference in buying designer or mass-retail products made in these countries. Oh, and by the way - The H&M collaborations were for the most part produced in Rumania, China and Portugal (Jimmy Choo shoes are stamped 'Made in Italy'), not Bangladesh, Cambodia or countries with worse standards.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it would be foolish to expect the same level of quality and fabrics in a 125€ H&M/Lanvin trench compared with one from the Lanvin mainline that will hardly ever retail for less than 1250€. The challenge is to balance a simplification of the known design trademark to a degree that the product remains identifiable as a Lanvin signature and to make sense on it's own... and as I was mentioning in one of my previous posts, there are certain finishes and trademarks about Elbaz' design that could very well translate to a lower-end product that remains particular and a nice choice for casual daywear/nightlife situations in which customers would be hesitant to expose their luxe pret-a-porter clothes to smoke, sweat and other harm.

Last but not least - It's interesting to observe that the very clients purchasing these High/Low collaboration collections are mostly customers that smart shop between High-End and Low Key, for the most parts I've seen women in their 40ies to 50ies with Kelly bags buying +J and young magazine editors/stylists wearing the Christopher Kane party frocks and embellished leggings.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Of course we don't expect the same level of quality - that's not the point. The point is, I don't expect any level of quality. And to attach a designer name to this crap is disingenuous. Zam is right - 1) you are buying a fantasy (designer name attached) 2) plenty of H&M shoppers spend more on their clothes than people who buy designer stuff rarely. Plenty of true shopaholics out there and H&M provides a quick fix without regret.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tricotineacetat
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Of course we don't expect the same level of quality - that's not the point. The point is, I don't expect any level of quality. And to attach a designer name to this crap is disingenuous. Zam is right - 1) you are buying a fantasy (designer name attached) 2) plenty of H&M shoppers spend more on their clothes than people who buy designer stuff rarely. Plenty of true shopaholics out there and H&M provides a quick fix without regret.
          I don't think the majority of customers buying from the designer collaborations are the usual H&M clients but those that smart shop from designers and contemporary collections such as Acne or J.Crew - The kind of mix you will usually find in online shops such as net-a-porter or the like and pictured in street style blogs.

What you seem to portray is a consumerism that is either based entirely on certain high end designers or on the other hand, completely high street - this was maybe in the early 2000s but not today in which there is a much wider offering.

Comment

• christianef
            • Feb 2009

smart shoppers seems like an ironic name aha (oustide of grabbing whatever u can and relisting for way more on ebay.)

Comment

According to the press release, they refused to do the collaboration unless they got to make the garments more luxurious, so this collection is supposed to bring luxury to H&M rather than open Lanvin to the mass markets. I think that's pretty much a mission impossible when you're dealing with H&M though... MySpace Comments

I will probably go check it out just for the hell of it since I'm at least a bit curious how they will deliver.

Comment

• whitney
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by flux View Post
                According to the press release, they refused to do the collaboration unless they got to make the garments more luxurious, so this collection is supposed to bring luxury to H&M rather than open Lanvin to the mass markets. I think that's pretty much a mission impossible when you're dealing with H&M though... MySpace Comments

I will probably go check it out just for the hell of it since I'm at least a bit curious how they will deliver.

http://hmnews.bazooka.se/wp-content/...gner2010media/
                i hope so! but in a different twist..i mean h&m quality (imho) kinda sucks to begin with so taking it a level up wouldn't be so hard..at the same time its impossible to replica exact or par with his label at h&m prices (and i hope they won't do chiffon like gowns)

but would have better cuts and fabric then currently used by h&m.. i think it would be awesome if he used this collection to do something more playful at an acceptable price like

you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• mesko
                  • Nov 2009

Regardless of the quality, or the ethical aspects of this particular collaboration, fact remains that H&M pay almost no tax at all (I think it was something ridiculous like $60 for 2009 if I remember correctly) in Bangladesh, and this reason alone is enough to distance yourself from them in any possible way. I haven't been buying anything from H&M, Cheap Monday, Monki or any of the other companies owned by H&M, for the last three or so years.

Also, I agree that one is buying the illusion of luxury sparked by the brand name - Lanvin in this case. Or that one is simply buying into a marketing campaign, as Faust reasoned.
                  Last edited by mesko; 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• kunk75
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

Big point right there. I buy one 500 or 1k, sometimes 2k items a few times a year as opposed to many women I see with hm bags every day.
                    Originally posted by Faust View Post

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JoniF

this video is fucking disturbing...the jerky camera work + soundtrack choice = i couldn't watch this for more than 30 secs.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                        this video is fucking disturbing...the jerky camera work + soundtrack choice = i couldn't watch this for more than 30 secs.
                        i finally clicked it and watched the 1st 3 mins or so then turned it off . what i didnt like was when someone was asked "what is bout rei and cdg that you like ? " and the guy was like ummmm i rly dont kno but its a cool brand

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

it's the kind of answer one would expect the most at a venue like that, but at the same time it pretty much sums up the appeal of CdG. What DO people like about it anyway? I think that is Rei's genius.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

i visited one of the small family-run factories in italy that are sub-contracted by gucci for making their very top-end exotic skin bags. i mean their very BEST quality bags in python and crocodile - not the GG stuff. it was very cramped, very noisy, very hot (no AC) and i did certainly not get the impression that anyone there was making good money - they apparently lived above the factory. it was 'made in italy' craftsmanship, but not the way i imagined it...

unless you REALLY do your research, you will never know what you are buying. the country of origin for products won't necessarily tell you anything really about how they were actually produced.

on the other hand, i have a BIG problem with buying products manufactured in a non-democratic country such as china. but that choice is unrelated to production issues.

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
                            ultra-bad working conditions when those in companies such as Rumania, Poland, Bulgaria, Morocco etc., in which people like Ann, Dries etc. are producing) are often worse than in modern, Chinese apparel factories (I can tell that by experience from seeing such places with my own eyes). So from that perspective, I do not see how it would make an ethic difference in buying designer or mass-retail products made in these countries.
                            Last edited by Shucks; 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              cdg x blairwitch project
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesko
                                • Nov 2009

The fucking dream.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎