• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

MA_Julius SS11

the new MA collection will be shown in Paris next month, and this will also be the official international debut for the line, now unisex.

this preview is exclusive to Stylezeitgeist and Scoute.

MA SPRING-SUMMER 2011

THE CLEAN, SIMPLE, ELEGANT, MODERN ZEN INTRODUCTION TO THE VIRTUAL DESIGN WORLD CREATED BY TATSURO HORIKAWA

INSPIRED BY MINIMAL ART AND MODERN ARCHITECTURE

BLURRING THE LINES BETWEEN GENDER AND OTHER EXTREMES

UNISEX AND DIFFUSION

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

looks great!! does that mean that they are introducing a size 0? or is the 1 going to be shifted?

Comment

• Who?
      • Aug 2007

Every season there is less and less of a difference between MA and 7. When MA started it was all tailored wear now the difference is slight. The defining features between the 2 are really only the treatments, zipper pulls and tags; and with MA being about the same price point, same quality and now nearly the same pieces, whats the point?
      WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Jonn
        • Mar 2008

it will never be as cool without the freak

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

I think one of the main issue is they're "blurring the lines", so to speak, by including pieces from MA and mainline in each of their respective presentations. I don't really see how they've made it more unisex than their previous collections, perhaps they've just realised it has greater potential as unisex label in the west and are marketing it as such.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Who? View Post
            Every season there is less and less of a difference between MA and 7. When MA started it was all tailored wear now the difference is slight. The defining features between the 2 are really only the treatments, zipper pulls and tags; and with MA being about the same price point, same quality and now nearly the same pieces, whats the point?
            I think its still distuingishable from Julius, a bit more sleek and less grunge. and its worth keeping in mind that this is just a preview, the full collection will have a lot more non-leather pieces that will be more like the MA we've seen.

like dji said, they are intentionally blurring the lines a bit, there were some MA pieces on the Julius SS11 runway for example. they were probably not that easily distuingishable from there, but if you look at the pieces themself, I think they were pretty clearly MA. for example this coat.

regarding making it unisex, I guess this we will see once the full collection is shown, but I suspect there will be some pieces that are more clearly intended for the ladies. I really wouldn't see something like this produced solely for men.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

That black biker is the piece de resistance. The leather is good enough to eat.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Personally, I've always considered Julius unisex (if I'm drawn to something enough to wanna wear it, fuck it–it's unisex!). Certain things have a universal appeal which supersedes gender. If you think about it, there's reallly no such thing as a 'mens' biker jacket; I don't know one female who doesn't own some incarnation of a black leather motorcycle jacket.

It usually boils down to a preference for the unembellished and/or a desire for a silhouette not characterized by a 'female' cut (i.e. a nipped-in waist, princess seaming, etc). I personally can't stand 'girlie' details on my clothes, or sexed-up tailoring. Unfortunately, so much of womenswear continues to be betrayed by these two virtual mandates. Why do you think A has so many female clients?

So from a marketing standpoint, it's smart for Julius to begin publicizing their clothes as unisex. It essentially gives women the one thing many of them subconsciously need to feel comfortable stepping into that arena in the first place: the permission to do so.

sain't

Comment

• nictan
                  • Jul 2009

this move ain't entirely surprising though. my gf owns MA julius pieces, and they are doing very well for her, even though she would initially question that it was a male clothing line.

interest1, like the way you put it, it gives them the permission to do so. "is this piece for men's?" "oh its unisex"

Comment

• diorowen
                    • Aug 2010

don't really care whether Julius are unisex or not..but hey!they looks good on both male and female..
                    still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Indeed, very well put, interest1 (in both posts)
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Who?
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by nictan View Post
                          "is this piece for men's?" "oh its unisex"
                          Some people just need that extra push. My gf used to wear my Julius leather jacket all the time. She said it would be her favorite piece if it were her size.

A, for clarification, is MA the only line that will be marketed as unisex? Either way it's a logical step but this isn't the first time Julius was marketed as such with pieces more directed at women. After Fixed they stopped making size 0 and including women in the look book. Anyone know why they stopped then? Lack of audience within Japan?

WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

I believe MA is the line that will be specifically marketed as unisex, Julius will remain as is.

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

A do you know if they'll be reintroducing a size 0 or shifting the sizing down to cater for a unisex clientele?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎