X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • droogist
    • Sep 2006

Hussein Chalayan Women's SS11 Paris

The collection is entitled "Sakoku," after Japan's policy of isolation from the 17th until the mid-19th centuries.

The collection video, directed by Chalayan himself: http://www.vogue.com/videos/hussein-...n-spring-2011/

• droogist
    • Sep 2006

Comment

• droogist
      • Sep 2006

Comment

• droogist
        • Sep 2006

Comment

• droogist
          • Sep 2006

Comment

• droogist
            • Sep 2006

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Looks like he's back in the saddle with this collection. I seem some nice old Chalayan-type deconstruction. The shoes look interesting as well.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                eyes of the world
                • Jun 2009

so beautiful. so is the story from forced isolation to acceptance of isolation or inclusion?

there isnt a flawed look in the whole thing. beautiful told.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Yes,
                  someone kicked the master in his head and he started to think again.
                  I feel asleep last night watching the Video, not because it wasn't nice, but because I was so damn exhausted..........beautiful. hope he continues on this same path as this is where his true brilliance lies
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by rider View Post
                    so beautiful. so is the story from forced isolation to acceptance of isolation or inclusion?
                    that's a beautiful idea which you have articulated very well.

this is great...it seems sparse and simple in its entire presentation, but the kind of simplicity only achieved by a master. it's always the hardest to say so much with what seems like so little. not a wrong note, the transitions are flawlessly sequenced and executed.
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• droogist
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Looks like he's back in the saddle with this collection. I seem some nice old Chalayan-type deconstruction.
                      Yes - I think this is a very successful marriage of old- and new-school Chalayan.

Comment

there isnt a flawed look in the whole thing. beautiful told.

would you mind explaining it? I'm not good at decoding stuff like that.

Comment

• rider
                          eyes of the world
                          • Jun 2009

sure...what was the result of "Sakoku"? did it end with acceptance of the initial initiative or is the mood of the clothing progressively representative of the inclusion of the people into whatever society they were isolated from. just curious because i know nothing about the historical reference and i was intrigued by the lightness at the end but it turns back a bit towards restraint.

its too early in the morning for this mind twist but i hope that was clear[er] ;-)
                          i dont mean to complicate anything or come of as an antagonist but if mr. chalayan put that much thought into a collection i would like to be clear so i ask what the "story" actually is.
                          Last edited by rider; 10-05-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• droogist
                            • Sep 2006

A few additional photos from www.husseinchalayan.com:

Comment

• droogist
                              • Sep 2006

sure...what was the result of "Sakoku"? did it end with acceptance of the initial initiative or is the mood of the clothing progressively representative of the inclusion of the people into whatever society they were isolated from. just curious because i know nothing about the historical reference and i was intrigued by the lightness at the end but it turns back a bit towards restraint.

its too early in the morning for this mind twist but i hope that was clear[er] ;-)
                              i dont mean to complicate anything or come of as an antagonist but if mr. chalayan put that much thought into a collection i would like to be clear so i ask what the "story" actually is.
                              Perhaps this would help...these are the "chapters" of the collection. Each is Chalayan's reflection on a different aspect of Japanese culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎