• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ Thank you.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
      damn, wish i was there to see this
      [nec]shivaree performs music by Roger Miller - New England Conservatory, Williams Hall, 8 pm, free

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
      Harvard Film Archive: http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/
      awesome place. one of my favourite cinematheque / archival cinema sites any where in the world. and what do you know, they're screening some farocki right now.

Comment

• plasmoplas
        • Sep 2010

coincidence

this week the dig put out their 'best of'. while i disagree with a lot of the ordering of favorites, it's still a better ref. than you'd get in any damn tourist guide.

have a good trip!

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

So, I am going to drive up to Boston to see/review the Goya exhibit in two weeks.

Any updated food recommendations are very much welcome. Also, if anyone has tips for accommodations for one night for which I don't have to pay through the nose, I would appreciate it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• applecrisp
            • Jun 2013

I was just there. Stayed at the Revere and it was nice, but my company paid for it, I doubt it was cheap.

Alan Bilzerian had some good stuff from the usual suspects. Every time I go in there a pair of Avantindietro derbies taunts me (way too big for me).

Riccardi had a decent selection of Julius and BBS, but probably nothing you haven't seen already.

If you're interested in vintage, I'd suggest Bobby From Boston. I didn't get to go when I was there because they were closed (was only in Boston for a day), but it's a pretty rad shop. Think RRL but the actual stuff that that company hopes to be. Probably not your bag, but it's a good way to kill a bit of time if you have some. You might find a good pair of old boots or other military items.

And I've been having a hell of time scheduling an appointment with them, but Orime looks awesome. Antique japanese boro items and whatnot.

Comment

• a bag of it
              • Jan 2014

I've heard good things about row 34, but haven't been myself. If you like beer, trillium brewing is right next door and are a must visit for any beer lover.

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                So, I am going to drive up to Boston to see/review the Goya exhibit in two weeks.

Any updated food recommendations are very much welcome. Also, if anyone has tips for accommodations for one night for which I don't have to pay through the nose, I would appreciate it.
                A few more food recommendations
                The Beehive in the South End. Jazz restaurant with good drinks and a small but well curated menu. Good live music. But on weekend nights it gets very crowded with a fair number of suits. If you can get to Harvard Sq see below.

Beat Hotel in Harvard Square. Owned by the Beehive people. Same concept - live jazz restaurant. I much prefer this version. No suits because of the location, it's much newer so it doesn't get as crowded, and it has a larger menu. The drinks and food are at least as good as the Beehive's (and probably better), but you're able to better enjoy the music without the buzz of a big crowd in the background.

Dali Restaurant in Inman Square. Great tapas place. Good atmosphere, interesting drinks. Try the rabbit.

Cuchi Cuchi in Central Square. Owned by the Dali people. Similar concept regarding size of dishes, but with a global emphasis, so you get to try several different kinds of cuisine without filling up too much. Very creative drinks. They taste great and pack a punch you wouldn't expect. 1920s theme that they adhere to well, so it's a cool atmosphere.

Masa Restaurant in the South End. Good brunch place with a nice selection of spicy foods. They do tapas here too, but I've never tried those. The South End is really representative of Boston as a city. I like strolling through on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive hotel off the top of my head, but I'll ask around when I go this weekend. Since you're driving though you can stay near the airport. It's cheaper than staying in the city. The downside is the scenery is some of the most depressing you can think of.
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• d'avant-garde
                  • Sep 2013

Isabella Gardner Museum and the Boston MFA are my two favorite museums there.

Comment

• Anomie
                    • Jan 2011

Check out Journeyman Restaurant:

My favorite restaurant in Boston.

Comment

• underdog
                      • Aug 2009

Drink

Dollar oysters a couple of times per day: http://www.marliave.com/home/

With regrets nothing new shopping-wise. Bilzerian and Riccardi are about it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by underdog View Post
                        Drink

Dollar oysters a couple of times per day: http://www.marliave.com/home/

With regrets nothing new shopping-wise. Bilzerian and Riccardi are about it.
                        I used to go to drink every week, very eccentric place, filled with eccentric customers. highly recommend, sometimes they make you wait so try not to go too late.

Mooo is worth it imo, Beehive on the otherhand isn't too exciting for me, on the other side of town, Cambridge's East by Northeast is worth checking out.

Alan B has Pre 2010 CCP which is kind of interesting, if you're looking for that kind of thing.

Riccardi also has archival Julius if you ask for it.

Lately i've been missing Mass. like crazy...
                        Originally posted by unwashed
                        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                        Originally posted by Ahimsa
                        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• daou0782
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

The Fogg Museum extension by Renzo Piano just reopened all the art collections at Harvard. Free for Cambridge residents and students.

+1 for the Journeyman in Union Sq. and the Back Bar next to it. Pricey, but all Union Sq. is going up with the anticipation of the new T line.

Didn't see it on the thread, so visiting the glass flower collection at the Museum of Natural History at Harvard is also a nice thing to do. And Bartley's is the place to get a hamburger when visiting campus.

TriggerDiscipline, if you ever want to scratch that itch, let me know. You know you have a home here.

Comment

• eleves
                            • Sep 2012

Looks like this thread hasn't been updated in a long time! Just leaving a few updates from my trip to Boston this past weekend in case anyone finds themselves there!

The Tannery seems to get worse and worse every time I go there so definitely nothing to write home about except the layout of the store is kinda cool. Bodega is also still fun to visit. Newbury Street is definitely still the place to be for shopping along with the same two stores mentioned earlier: Alan Bilzerian and Riccardi. I actually didn't really like Riccardi because it just seems like an explosion of as many brands as possible (too much color all over the place) but in Boston it's a must stop because they carry a lot of stuff that AB doesn't have, definitely better for Ladies as well. If you're into streetwear, this is definitely the better of the two. Alan Bilzerian was great, staff was super friendly. Decent mix of things here too that can cater to a bunch of different crowds but there was an especially huge Elena Dawson selection, more than anywhere else I've seen before! They also had a pre 2011 CCP boot left so it's possible there are still some more pieces (I didn't ask). Saks nearby is decent, I like the layout a lot more than the NYC shop, the newness of it in comparison is refreshing. Didn't really check out too much there but the fragrance selection is usually one of the best in the area.

Clover in Cambridge is great for vegan food and it's open 24 hours! Close by is Toscanini's Ice Cream which was amazing and had lots of inventive flavors. Guinness stout ice cream was pretty good in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day which the city was celebrating over the weekend. Backbar and Journeyman are still two great spots to go too but backbar was crazy packed as usual but this time to the point where they told us that there was no way our group (6 people) was getting in there that night. Basically a lot more people have found out about this place since the last time I was in Boston (2014). We ended up going to a place called Bronwyn (Bar/Restaurant/Biergarten) and it's great for anyone that loves German/Belgian beer or wine. Cocktails weren't great and definitely not a place for stout lovers like myself. Kitchen closed early at 10:30 so no idea what the food there is like but they did have award for their burger. Grafton Street, although not my first choice in terms of decor/ambience is a great place to eat and drink, all food there was amazing and the cocktails were also pretty damn good (beer menu is also extensive). Last place I ate at was another newly opened spot called Kirkland Tap and Trotter which had another amazing menu and a very inventive cocktail list and reminded me the most of eating somewhere in Brooklyn or Astoria (NYC). I enjoyed my trip this time around a lot more than the last time I was there and feel like Boston has definitely become more refreshed and I'd consider it up and coming in many different scenes.
                            Last edited by eleves; 06-23-2016, 11:14 AM.
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

You went to Boston on St. Patty's?! Damn, man, that's courage.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                You went to Boston on St. Patty's?! Damn, man, that's courage.
                                Hahaha if only I knew! I thought that everyone celebrated it on the same day as we do in NY, oh how naive I was...
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎