• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

mite b in tha city in a few weeks
    tell me wut 2 do
    also where do they keep the gay part of the castro?
    i went last time i visited and i saw a few leather shops but there was also a fucking levi's store and a bunch of tourists?
    i want to see the secret queer part of the castro with naked dudes and stuff

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
      mite b in tha city in a few weeks
      tell me wut 2 do
      also where do they keep the gay part of the castro?
      i went last time i visited and i saw a few leather shops but there was also a fucking levi's store and a bunch of tourists?
      i want to see the secret queer part of the castro with naked dudes and stuff
      thats the area, there is a club called endup that may be crazy enough

try blue bottle and philz coffee
      ferry building is cool
      fishermans warf (touristy)
      haight
      hayes valley
      chinatown

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

done fisherman's wharf honestly salty's famous fishwich is pretty good
        went to a really good dim sum place last time too. i'll have to look around on google maps to find it. i don't think it was in china town but near it, there was a crackhead wandering around outside

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

i don't think it was in china town but near it, there was a crackhead wandering around outside
          This does not narrow it down.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• drizzly
            Banned
            • Apr 2012

done fisherman's wharf honestly salty's famous fishwich is pretty good
            went to a really good dim sum place last time too. i'll have to look around on google maps to find it. i don't think it was in china town but near it, there was a crackhead wandering around outside
            are you trying to go clubbing around or sight seeing?

other fun districts mission/valencia around 16th get interesting
            marina is the rich hipster area

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

philz sucks now... thers a lot of qa problems with their beans

coffee:
              blue bottle
              4 barrel
              ritual
              sightglasss

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

The Marina crowd is pure bridge & tunnel (yeah yeah).

Sightglass is mediocre. Don't waste your time.

Phil's, yeah, it's shit.

Four Barrel is the best place to go for the coffee itself right now. The shop can be annoying though.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                  The Marina crowd is pure bridge & tunnel (yeah yeah).

Sightglass is mediocre. Don't waste your time.

Phil's, yeah, it's shit.

Four Barrel is the best place to go for the coffee itself right now. The shop can be annoying though.
                  My god, the worst fucking coffee experience ever, from decor to the coffee. One of the very few times SZ had let me down.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jippos
                    • Mar 2007

I think Philz can have an OK cup, but there's no way in my mind that it's a destination cafe, and none of their locations would be places that I'd recommend anyone seek out.

Unlike theetruscan, I would recommend going to sightglass if one is south of market. I think their coffee is pretty good, but I really like what they've done with a nondescript, anonymous, boring, old warehouse. (also, piccino and neighbor pastries. I'm a sucker for well done baked goods...)

Destination cafes for me:
                    blue bottle (I'm partial to the original alley/garage kiosk in Hayes for sentimental reasons, but would def. recommend mint plaza for visitors, with it's interesting view of the Japanese percolators and whatever)
                    four barrel (probably best coffee, plus it's on valencia)
                    sightglass

I think the coffee at ritual is good, but I dont' want to hang out and drink my coffee there, so not much of a destination for me.

also, if one is near potrero hill, check out front cafe. a few months old, their "espresso + milk" is delicious, plus B patisserie and neighbor pastries. Hole in the wall, but a really nice hole. heh.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jippos View Post
                      I think Philz can have an OK cup...

Unlike theetruscan, I would recommend going to sightglass if one is south of market....
                      Do you take milk with your coffee? People I know who put milk/cream in coffee seem much happier with Philz than those of us who drink it straight.

Sightglass is a beautiful shop. I just find the coffee insipid.

Comment

• drizzly
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                        philz sucks now... thers a lot of qa problems with their beans

coffee:
                        blue bottle
                        4 barrel
                        ritual
                        sightglasss
                        blue bottle - not impressed
                        4 barrel - not impressed
                        ritual - need to try
                        sightglasss - need to try

i rarely hear people disliking philz so judge for yourself if you go, i get turkish coffee there and its always good.

side note blue bottle comes out acidic quiet often.

Comment

• jippos
                          • Mar 2007

Do you take milk with your coffee? People I know who put milk/cream in coffee seem much happier with Philz than those of us who drink it straight.

Sightglass is a beautiful shop. I just find the coffee insipid.
                          Yeah, I take milk with it, so I suppose that would soften it up a bit. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Philz-o-phile, and cant' remember the last time I went. I just think it should be viewed as a regular, decent neighborhood coffee shop(s). through that prism, I'm willing to cut it some slack. But certainly not if we're talking about coffee on the level of four barrel, et al, and imo it shouldn't really be on anyone's list of places to try while in SF.

I'm curious to hear your opinion on Front. Also, intelligentsia is supposed to open around the corner from Front sometime. I don't really know what to think about intelligentsia out here, although I've enjoyed the chicago experience.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

I just think Philz overroasts their coffee and so it comes out pretty bitter. With milk, that will tone down, and it becomes a passable cup. Without milk, it's atrocious.

I don't know front. I will check it out.

Intelligentsia is so ridiculously hit and miss with quality, I don't know that I care about them opening in SF. They have some very good coffee, but I've never had anything jaw dropping, and I've had a lot of mediocre beans from them.

Comment

• drizzly
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2012

I just think Philz overroasts their coffee and so it comes out pretty bitter. With milk, that will tone down, and it becomes a passable cup. Without milk, it's atrocious.

I don't know front. I will check it out.

Intelligentsia is so ridiculously hit and miss with quality, I don't know that I care about them opening in SF. They have some very good coffee, but I've never had anything jaw dropping, and I've had a lot of mediocre beans from them.
                              there are more than 20 different flavors and roasts, for example "so good" is a light blend and its so light i cant drink it, turkish is super dark so you really need to like coffee for that one

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
                                there are more than 20 different flavors and roasts, for example "so good" is a light blend and its so light i cant drink it, turkish is super dark so you really need to like coffee for that one
                                Philz's light roasts are still darker than almost anything from Four Barrel or Ritual. Their medium and dark roasts are cooked with the center of the sun (or something like it).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎